PDA

View Full Version : Cant believe this i was so angry!

gemhei
03-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I was up this morning and outside at 7am as after the snow yesterday there was thick ice all over the driveway. So there i was with hot water and salt clearing a pathway for mindees and parents to walk up safely.

We went to school and it was thick of ice everywhere! There was a huge frozen puddle which attracted 6 yr old DS like a bird to a worm lol. I warned him several times then Bang!! He slipped and banged his head. As i was taking him inside to sit down and calm down (he was really wailing) The caretaker rushed out and started putting salt down!! :angry: WHY WASNT THIS DONE AT 8AM BEFORE CHILDREN ARRIVED?????

I was so cross, the first thing i thought of this morning was 'must clear paths' for parents. If school would of done this my son wouldnt have fallen, plus when we got in school office there was another 8 yr old boy with an injured hand caused by slipping on the playground!!

sarah707
03-12-2008, 01:38 PM
That is dreadful :(

You are within your rights to complain to the school.

I hope his head feels ok now xx

ChocolateChip
03-12-2008, 01:43 PM
We had exactly the same situation- playground like an ice rink!
They had put some grit on the path, but made everyone walk over the playground instead of letting them in the car park side, which was fine.
Okay, I know it's a carpark but all the staff were already in (public/parent cars aren't allowed in there) and surely they could have put the staff on those gates instead of everyone (including some heavily pregnant mums) risking braking their neck on the ice! :angry: :angry: :angry:

gemhei
03-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Its discusting, luckily he was ok and went to class as normal but it could have been so much worse. I am a governor of the school so i might just bring it up with the head tomorrow. Schools should know better than not to grit their walkways in bad weather, like i said it was first thing on my mind when i woke up this morning.

Alibali
03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I have just collected BOTH my sons from school with head injuries after falling on ice at scool. The little one was in hospital a few weeks ago with concussion after falling at school, so we need to keep a close eye on him and the big one, 10yrs can't remember what happened!

Oh the joys of parenthood, however I am glad it wasn't a mindee at my home!

Annie_T
03-12-2008, 04:55 PM
aww i hope he is ok, poor boy .. kids will play but like you said it should of been sorted before the children started to come into school, i would log a complaint, lucky we have several caretakers (its a very big school for a primary) at my childrens school and they all do their part tho they are not perfect

good on you for doing your path this morning as well hun x

mandy moo
04-12-2008, 02:11 PM
We had the same problem at school too yesterday.
My youngest hes 7yrs hated me becoz I wouldnt let him slide on it, until his best mate fell over and hurt his knees and tore his trousers!!
What really got me was all the mums just standing there talking and not saying a word to the little darlings:(
Then they wonder why they fall over and hurt themselves..

LisaH
04-12-2008, 03:05 PM
My sons school playground is like an icerink too. We were told by the headmaster that the school doesn't even have any grit to put down!!! None of the children have been allowed outdoor play yet this week.

Hebs
04-12-2008, 04:41 PM
we are having the same problem too

a boy fell and split his head open yesterday after falling on an ungritted path in school grounds,

AND

today.............. still no grit :angry:

if that were my son i'd be taking pics and suing the LEA

Gherkin
04-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Yesterday I saw them salting the playground when the children were dropped at school - still didn't stop my 4 yo sonfalling on a step putting his teeth into hi bottom lip and chipping a chunk out of one of the teeth.

Rubybubbles
04-12-2008, 06:03 PM
:angry: they were gritting at 8:30 when kids arriving yesterday at our school too.

my dd fell today and she was the one one walking nicely (the older boys were driving me crackers:panic: )

mandy moo
04-12-2008, 06:13 PM
My sons school playground is like an icerink too. We were told by the headmaster that the school doesn't even have any grit to put down!!! None of the children have been allowed outdoor play yet this week.

Well excuse me as an ex govenor and on health and saftey commitee, Im pretty sure, that cant be quite right.
I would ring the chair up if I were you

singlewiththree
04-12-2008, 07:55 PM
When I turned up at our school, the first in the playground and the head teacher was outside with a shovel doing the de-icing.

Hope his head was ok