PDA

View Full Version : Losing a child, but need advice on pay!

cher25
02-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi all, Sorry it's a long one!!!
Tonight i had a parent ask me how long notice she needs to give as she has quit her job due to being messed around with pay.
I told her its 4 weeks as that is what is stated in the contract and that it doesnt include holidays. I wouldnt be having him over xmas due to me not wanting to work and the parent having him anyway, so not charging for that regardless. Thing is she is already in arrears and i have agreed to accept extra on the weekly pay for a few weeks to bring her back up to date. But she has also asked if she could cut down the hours for the notice period due to it almost being xmas and having money probs. (She seem's to be telling me the ins and outs of her life!lol)
There is however a chance i could have the child back when she gets another job if the space is available.
I just don't know what to do. I have thought about just charging half fee for the morning's (incase she did need me) and then continue with full fee for the afternoon. What would you's do? She is nice young women, but i have tried to stay professional but it's failing as she has even added me on facebook!lol

I don't know what to do. This is the first child to be leaving me! :(

Cher

berkschick
02-12-2008, 08:05 PM
I would stick to the 4 weeks paid notice period.

I always think of it like this, What would happen if they rung their mortgage company or credit card up and said, sorry people, just jacked my job in. Can I not bother paying you this month?

They would not let them off and nor should we!

crazybones
02-12-2008, 08:06 PM
I am not in a very giving mood tonight so my business head is saying write her an invoice for full amount of 4 weeks notice plus arrears and a date by which you will accept payment. I would have been inclined to be nice but since she is in arrears anyway I dont see why you should be out of pocket.

Would you really want her back if she messes you about with money. Its not like she has been made redundant - she has quit her job because she is being messed about so why should she mess you about too!

Someone who is feeling much kinder may come along and give you some nicer advice. :blush:

barbarella68
02-12-2008, 08:07 PM
I think you should say no you are a business,why quit your job if you have money problems sounds strange.
As she is in arrears anyway I would just charge her the notice that you would of.I think it is a bit cheeky to ask in the first place.:(

Minstrel
02-12-2008, 08:27 PM
I am not in a very giving mood tonight so my business head is saying write her an invoice for full amount of 4 weeks notice plus arrears and a date by which you will accept payment. I would have been inclined to be nice but since she is in arrears anyway I dont see why you should be out of pocket.

Would you really want her back if she messes you about with money. Its not like she has been made redundant - she has quit her job because she is being messed about so why should she mess you about too!

Someone who is feeling much kinder may come along and give you some nicer advice. :blush:

agree really because she sounds like the sort who doesnt take any cr.... rubbish! and nor should you!

wendywu
02-12-2008, 11:29 PM
She must have had to give her job 4 weeks notice, so she is getting paid for the next 4 weeks and so should you.:panic:

Hebs
03-12-2008, 09:36 AM
if you quit you don't give notice but you can end up owing the company money (in leiu of notice)
i wouldn't give her any help cos she has in effect made you unemployed (in regards to this child) so nice of her :mad:

Minstrel
03-12-2008, 09:55 AM
also if she receives tax credits then apparently they coninue for 4 weeks after job finishes so she could still be getting help x