PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely gobsmacked re EYFS reply from Ofsted

yummymummy
02-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Sorry girls don't get too excited as I am so pants at cut and paste etc BUT occasionally go on another website childminding forum and have just read a reply from Ofsted sent to a childminder concerned about the amount of paperwork caused by EYFS. (Perhaps one of the mods or someone else more computer literate may be able to copy the letter if this is allowed)
The point of it is that Ofsted are saying EYFS is a Government initiative and are basically saying we don't need to do much more paperwork than before! It even goes as far to say that written policies and procedures are not expected or planning and observations. Perhaps they should pass this on the their Inspectors then!
Perhaps someone with a more analytical brain than me can see something more than my simplistic view but that is the message I took from the letter.
Oh lord don't know what to think now! :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

sarah707
02-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Here's another thread about it!

Absolutely ridiculous (in my ever so humble opinion!)

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20936

Peppa
02-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Ofsted said to me on pre reg visit, " we dont expect you to do reams and reams of paper work, just do an observation and at the bottom write the next step from that and thats your planning" I was like oh right.

sarah707
02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
They are obviously not reading their own website... inspection reports are saying things like...

Use systematic observations to plan relevant and motivating learning experiences for each child

Ensure equal focus is given to all aspects of the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum

Link weekly planning to the six areas of learning

Include input from other providers when planning activities to promote individual children's next steps in learning

Ensure activities are tailored to meet children's individual needs

Make systematic observations of individual children which are matched to the expectations of the early learning goals

Make systematic observations and assessments of each child's achievements and interests

Make systematic observations and assessments of each child's learning styles

Develop systems for observational assessment to include the clear identification of ongoing learning priorities

Develop observations of children at play to monitor and provide for their next steps planning and development across all areas of learning

If someone from Ofsted can tell me how to all that (and much, much more) without any written notes, I would be very grateful

Peppa
02-12-2008, 02:09 PM
:eek: I was worried when she said that, as I could see me getting someone else in 7 months and saying, "oh well you haven't really followed the eyfs regarding planning..... etc" and me being a poor grade! Shall stick to the people who know best.......YOU GUYS:D

yummymummy
02-12-2008, 02:28 PM
What a contradiction! Sounds just like Ofsted as usual!!!:angry:

mimo
02-12-2008, 04:00 PM
my DO also said that i do not need any written obs or plans so i asked her to put that in writting so i could show ofsted if they were to ask .
i have just given up trying to work out what they want an dhave decieded that if what i do is not good enough for Ofsted they can grade me unsatisfactory and i will quit as both the children and parents are more than happy with the care their children recieve