PDA

View Full Version : Can they ask this?

Tealady
01-12-2008, 10:47 PM
I have been registered since may and currently mind for three children. One toddler and two school children. I am currently trying to fill a vacancy preferably on a full time basis from January (as toddler is emigrating with parents). This vacancy has recently gone "live" on the Surestart web site and I have had three enquiries since. However none of these has come to fruision.

I only have one child of my own a, a three year old girl. All three have have asked me "How long do you think you will be Childminding for?" Which I initailly thought was a reasonable question in a way as they obviously want continuity for they child. However the woman who was due to visit today (but didn't turn up!) basically went on to say that what she was getting at was if I was planning on having any more children and would I want to be minding should I have another child. I also think now that this is what the other two were getting at also.

If I was being interviewed to be an employee of an organisation, my understanding of this is that such a question cannot be asked. Therefore can they ask me this question in this situation? I'm not sure what the future holds regarding more children of my own, but as I keep my numbers small, I'm sure I would be able to limit time off and would intend to do so. I feel uncomfortable discussing the subject with total strangers, but don't want to put off potential custom.

childmind04
02-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Some parents may think this but i am wondering if the others may have just been thinking about all the news about childminders quiting over eyfs

Personaly dont think i would have answered that over the phone either :)

miffy
02-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Tricky one to get round without putting people off but there again would they like it if you asked them the same question of if they would still be at work in 1 or 2 years time.

I definitely wouldn't discuss it over the phone

Miffy xx

angeldelight
02-12-2008, 07:39 AM
I think its a silly question

How can any of us really answer that anyway we never know what is around the corner

Of course we hope to be doing it long term and hope to offer a long service to a child but you just dont know

I have never had anyone ask me that - maybe when they call you up you should not mention that you have only been minding since May - wait till you meet them

Angel xx

sarah707
02-12-2008, 08:03 AM
I suppose they can ask whatever they like... there are no laws governing it like there are for employers.

It is up to us to choose how and what we answer.

I hope you fill your vacancy soon x

crazybones
02-12-2008, 08:08 AM
If they asked me they would tell by my face the answer. In my experience its a bit of an unanswerable question anyway. I would always have answered "No I am not planning on having any children.! Would they have sued me when my suprise appeared! :laughing:

I have just typed "Suprise" three times and still not sure if I have spelt it correctly. :rolleyes:

angeldelight
02-12-2008, 09:06 AM
If they asked me they would tell by my face the answer. In my experience its a bit of an unanswerable question anyway. I would always have answered "No I am not planning on having any children.! Would they have sued me when my suprise appeared! :laughing:

I have just typed "Suprise" three times and still not sure if I have spelt it correctly. :rolleyes:

You best look again

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

crazybones
02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
You best look again

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

My brain doesnt work well in the cold. Takes a while to warm up. Like 3 hours. :laughing:

wendywu
02-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Some people only mind while their own children are at home. As soon as their own start full time school they give up and get another job.

This is while some parents may be asking. I quite often have people say well at least we know you see it as long term employment. My two are nearly 16 and 20.:)

CCJD
02-12-2008, 11:45 AM
I can understand that some parents are looking for continuous care and under the same circumstances I would vaguely address this issue- they may be thinking not about pregnancy but if u will continue to childmind when your little one goes to school. A blanket "I really enjoy this job and even if my circumstances changed (ie: my little one goes to school) I still anticipate childminding should cover it. If they still push about pregnancy in particular, I would say exactly what you put above but then ask her about her pregnancy plans , to see if sher child is is a long term placement and therefore worth taking on- works both ways!!!!!!!!

Hebs
02-12-2008, 11:55 AM
lol

no more kids for me, and my kids are both at school

still i wouldn't dream of asking this question to someone :panic:

gemhei
02-12-2008, 12:28 PM
See thats an easy answer for me because the answer to 'are you going to have anymore children' would be definatly not lol. They may have been asking as a lot of childminders are giving up and going onto other things it may not have been about wether you are going to have another child but i dont think i would be too happy to discuss this over the phone with a stranger if i was in your posision.

chaotic_space
02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
While its understandable that parents want continuity for their child/ren there should still be limits as to how personal they can be with their questions.

I dont answer any questions over the phone except if I have a vacancy or not.

Perhaps just answer with something like..... "I plan on childminding for the foreseeable future"

mandy moo
02-12-2008, 02:29 PM
I was asked that once, laughed it off by saying 'Goodness Im too old for all that' which to me, I am:laughing:

mandy moo
02-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Having more children off my own that is:laughing: