PDA

View Full Version : Common Core Skills

RainbowMum
01-12-2008, 10:45 AM
My Network co-ordinator has had a childminder on the network pulled up on her Ofsted inspection because she didn't now anything about the 'Common Core Skills' When the childminder asked the inspector what they were she said she didn't know and told her to go to her Network! She gave her 2 weeks to find out about it and was going back to re-inspect!

Our lovely co-ordinator has found out all about it now (there will be training - next year!!) She has printed out all the info but you can find it here: www.everychildmatters.gov.uk/deliveringservices/commoncore/

Hope that works - have just copied it of the paper she gave me!

I think for the moment as long as you are aware of this and can give a basic summary of what it is then they will leave you alone! It may well be that it is just this one inspector, they do love to have a wild card to throw in dont they! Any way just thought forwarned is forarmed!

Blaze
01-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks for that...:thumbsup:

sarah707
01-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks for that!

It is strange that the inspectors are pushing it when there is no reference made to it in the eyfs.

The only qualifications needed in Eyfs are the introduction to childminding course and First Aid.

Common core skills are needed to fulfil the requirements for the childcare register :D

Blaze
01-12-2008, 11:33 AM
I think they're pushing it because CM's are doing better under EYFS then they expected!!!!:D

hello kitty
01-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the info and the link ~ will have a good look later. :)

Tatia
01-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for that link. Here's the PDF link, as well. http://www.everychildmatters.gov.uk/_files/37183E5C09CCE460A81C781CC70863F0.pdf

The Common Core Skills are as follows:

-Effective communication and engagement with children, young people and families
-Child and young person development
-Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the child
-Supporting transitions
-Multi-agency working
-Sharing information

I think they have all been pretty much absorbed into the EYFS w/ possible exception of an emphasis on 'supporting transitions' (starting playgroup, moving up to big school, that sort of thing). As childminders, we do these things very naturally even if we might not know the industry jargon. :rolleyes:

I thought ECM (and EYFS under the broad ECM brolly) were meant to be the definitive word on Early Years.:rolleyes: Can they just STOP devising list upon list, please? They all pretty much say the same thing anyway.:mad:

madasahatter
01-12-2008, 07:38 PM
They've got to justify wasting more money somehow LOL

angeldelight
02-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Thank you

Angel xx

ChocolateChip
03-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for that, some more light reading for the festive period!!:eek: