PDA

View Full Version : What would you do differently if you had your time again??!!!

mumx3
30-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I would love to know what is the thing you would do differently if you had your time again??!!!

This would really help those of us who are just starting out.

I might be to do with how you set your home up, a policy, relationships with parents, fees, holidays....whatever.

But this is such a great place to share practice, I couldnt help but ask this question.

Thanks!

crazybones
30-11-2008, 11:13 AM
I have just done my time differently as all my mindees I had went to either secondary school, reception or emigrated. :laughing: Therefore from September they were all new. I made sure I changed to payment in advance and decided not to do too many "favours" because over the years I noticed favours were not returned or people started to take the micky out of me.

sue m
30-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Oooooh, I could write a book!!!!! :D

nannysue
30-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Sue
You got there before me!!!!!:laughing: thats just what i was going to say.Do you think we could make the best sellers list. Now there's a thought for our retirement:D

Twinkles
30-11-2008, 01:01 PM
* I would have what I have now and that's fully comprehensive policies so there is no room for dispute or 'reading things wrongly'.

* I would be more specific in my contracts too ( as I am now ).

* I would not work for friends

* I would learn to say ' Let me think about that ' when asked to do something instead of ' Yes of course , no problem' coming unbidden out of my mouth.

christine e
30-11-2008, 01:23 PM
* I would have what I have now and that's fully comprehensive policies so there is no room for dispute or 'reading things wrongly'.

* I would be more specific in my contracts too ( as I am now ).

* I would not work for friends

* I would learn to say ' Let me think about that ' when asked to do something instead of ' Yes of course , no problem' coming unbidden out of my mouth.

Hi
I think the last bullet point above is really good advice. When asked how much to charge these days I tend to say leave it with me and I will have a think about it (I have in the past quoted a figure and then decided it is not enough so I always think about it now before jumping in). I will check my diary is another thing I tend to say instead of saying yes to something.

Cx

Heaven Scent
30-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Yes, I've learnt to say things like let me work that out and let me check my diary and I'll get back to you - its so much safer and makes parents realise that they cannot just walk all over you and lets them know that you are not just there for your beck and call.

I too have learnt to be more specific with my contracts and am mentally working out new ones at the moment - also working on my parent information and policies to make sure they are more watertight.

I just wish I could be more choosy about what parents to take on but supply doesn't out weigh demand round here at the moment and I will have to take what I can get when I eventually get new mindees and if the drout lasts too long I'll be dragging all sorts off the streets.:eek: :eek: :eek:

ajs
30-11-2008, 03:14 PM
listen to my husband his initial instincts are better then mine and if he says don't take that child on he's invariably right

think before i answer, so like twinkles say i'll think about it before i say yes or quote a price

i thought at first you were asking about what would you do better in life
and i thought work at school
i did next to no work at school and left with very few qualifications, i now wished i'd worked harder

Pauline
30-11-2008, 04:40 PM
We would have started working together sooner as it is GREAT!

Agree with thinking before saying YES to anything.

Angela234
30-11-2008, 06:53 PM
I would of started childminding years ago

Angela

breezy
30-11-2008, 07:18 PM
I would like to have been as stronger at the start, I got walked over a bit through lack of experience and also I wish I knew about this place sooner!!!!!!!

donnahay0
30-11-2008, 07:34 PM
I would have married a rich man.

sue m
30-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I jumped in a bit before reading properly then, I was talking more about my own personal life but as for the childminding, I loved it from when I started in 1987, I only had one Mum out of many who was a pain in the wotsit but her child was gorgeous.

Yes Sue, we might make a few bob for our old age LOL :laughing:

sarah707
30-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I am still too soft and if I know parents can't afford it I do not charge... don't know if I'll ever change that tbh...

I wish I'd listened to my instincts about certain families rather than saying yes... that's what I tell new minders, don't just say yes because you're panicking about filling spaces. Give yourself some thinking time first.

balloon
30-11-2008, 08:01 PM
I'M GLAD - I always charge upfront, think about things before I agree (usually anyway) and sometimes say no to parents even if I could have fitted something in but just didn't want to - most of all I'm glad I found here because that's where I learned to be strong!

I WISH - I'd charged late collection fees from the word 'go' and hadn't gotten so friendly with parents cos its hard to say 'please be ontime tonight for a change' when they're pally with you...

Spangles
30-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I can't think of anything at the moment.

I've been really lucky with parents etc and found this Forum from day one so have always been able to access really great advice.

I might think of something later!

mum22
30-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Live next door to Sarah707:laughing:

patevans
30-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Live next door to Sarah707:laughing:

Definately http://img3.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0158.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-unhappy-smileys.php)

I would Hire a PA and a cleaner to make my life sooo much easier!!

acorns
30-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Re Parents I would do as I(try)to do and keep them at arms length - much easier when you need to take up an issue with them if the are taking the ....
(which they will after a while if you appear a soft touch, which I do, but underneath I'm not!!!!)

Set my fees higher - it's easy temptation to set up and charge a lower rate to get your first mindee but in the long run you feel that you're not being paid what you are worth

I take a deposit as well as fees in advance if I have any doubts about a parent

Terminate the contract during the settling in period, another mindee will be along sooner or later & you may suit each other better

mumx3
01-12-2008, 03:53 AM
This stuff is priceless, thanks everyone.