PDA

View Full Version : Nappy changing

caz
29-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi would Ofsted have a problem with me changing nappies in the living room. At the moment I take my 2 toddlers upstairs to change, 1 child comes down on his own and I carry the other. However on Monday I start with another toddler who will also need carrying, I was thinking this could be too dangerous and maybe I should use the room or hall until one of them can use the stairs. But will Ofsted think this is unhygienic.
Thanks for any advice
Caz:)

Pauline
29-11-2008, 09:12 PM
I changed a little one on the lounge floor on a changing mat while inspector was here and no problem.

Much safer on the floor than a changing table as they can't fall off, I just make sure any wipes etc. are kept well out of reach of other children and I choose a quiet area out of the way. Always done it that way and always will. :)

fionamal
29-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I always change my ones in the livingroom aswell. Its safer and saves having to take the other all upstairs with you.

Lou
29-11-2008, 09:42 PM
yep agree i always change nappies in living room, where i have access to mat, wipes, etc.

beerheaven
29-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Same here! I have always changed nappies downstairs in sight of others!

marian
29-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Me too - i use a changing mat on the living room floor
Marian x

manjay
29-11-2008, 10:35 PM
I change mindees downstairs but I do it in the hallway. I can still see the others but I like to give the one i am changing a bit of privacy and as I mind all boys the floor in the hall is much easier to clean than the carpet in the lounge:laughing:

Heaven Scent
30-11-2008, 12:22 PM
I do mine on the floor in the the DS Loo but mine is stupidly big. I see no problem in doing it on the living room floor - When I lived in my first house which was very small I always changed my DS on the the living room floor - so long as you can access somewhere safe to dispose the wet/soiled nappy and then have safe access to handwashing facilities.

Bushpig
30-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I changed a little one on the lounge floor on a changing mat while inspector was here and no problem.

Much safer on the floor than a changing table as they can't fall off, I just make sure any wipes etc. are kept well out of reach of other children and I choose a quiet area out of the way. Always done it that way and always will. :)

ditto! :D :)

butterfly
30-11-2008, 03:29 PM
i was wonderng about this issue with my inspection coming up. i'm worried about giving privacy to the one i'm changing. currently i do it in the lounge but my ds and sometimes dd is there as well. i was wondering about doing it in the hall but it's a bit awkward on the laminate floor for my kneesand also my ds would crawl down the hall from the lounge anyway!!

helenlc
30-11-2008, 03:46 PM
I change mine in the hallway as its quite spacious but allows privacy for the one I am changing. I can also see clearly into the front room and also hear what anyone may be up to!! I sometimes find that if I do do it in the front room and its been a particularly smelly one, the smell can linger for some time.

At my inspection in May my inspector asked me what nappy changing facilities I had. I said that at present I didnt have any children in nappies, but when I do, I will get a change mat etc. She asked if I would get a proper changing station. I said that I wouldnt because a) I didnt have the room and b) because I think the floor is safer than a child being up high. I said for example, I have a 2 yr old and 1 yr old both in nappies. Say I am changing the 2 yr old and the 1 yr old begins to choke on something. I am then torn between removing the 2 yr old safely from the changing station or going to the choking baby. If I was doing it on the floor, the worst that can happen to the 2 yr old is that he may roll in his own mess which isnt pleasant but thats not as dangerous as choking. My inspector was fine with this.

Hope this helps

Chatterbox Childcare
30-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I do mine wherever I am. I ask the parents to put the change mats in the bags.

marion123
30-11-2008, 05:21 PM
i do mine in the living room its much safer as i can keep my eyes on the other mindees :)

caz
01-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all your advice I feel much better about my Ofsted inspection due any time now.
Caz:)

chaotic_space
02-12-2008, 01:59 PM
I change babies on my lap on top of a thin mat. Neither Ofsted or assessors have ever had a problem with it. What's important is that you wipe the mat down afterwards, dispose of the nappy properly and wash your hands. I have one of those little clips on my belt loop with a bottle of handwash attatched. Best thing since sliced bread :)