PDA

View Full Version : Had another enquiry

Ebs71
28-11-2008, 08:01 PM
I hope i dont offend anyone but i have a lady coming tomorrow (if she turns up of course) with her 19 month little boy. She sounds really nice and friendly and is Philopeano i think. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt foreign parents? Im worried they may be really fussy or particular but then again they could be better than English parents if you get what i mean?
Sorry if i sound like im being racist, im not, i just dont know what to expect?

Hayley xx:)

Spangles
28-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I think you get all sorts of people in every culture. Everyone has their individual likes and dislikes and way of being regardless of where they are from.

The only thing I would worry about is understanding each other as I am embarrassingly bad at coping with accents whether it's chinese, scottish, strong norfolk! Doesn't matter what accent, if it's strong, I'm rubbish at it and find it really uncomfortable!

cher25
28-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi, Im sure you'll be fine once the parent arrives. Just take things slowly and explain things carefully. Repeating things a few times if need be.
Good luck.:)

Heaven Scent
28-11-2008, 09:35 PM
I have chinese speaking parents and to be honest they do misunderstand some of my policies but I don't mind so much because its week-end evening work and some week-ends I'm glad I don't have to do it and I don't mind that they don't pay me when they cancel because I have sid to them that I am not able to do every week-end but I am available for most week-ends. I have to admit that it is sometimes difficult to communicate especially on the phone. The LO is usually dropped off and collected by the uncle whos english is not as good as the mums and when I tell him things he just laughs at me - so I make it my business to pop into their take-away to have a chat with mum to ensue she is kept in the picture.

mumx3
29-11-2008, 10:07 AM
I think it is really important we dont generalise people.

Anyone can be fussy or hardwork as a person it has nothing to do with what country someone is born in.

Do your best to be open minded and see how things go.

sue m
29-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I looked after two Indian children (brother and sister) a few years ago when I was working before and they were Hindu but all they asked was that I didn't give the children beef. They were - are - lovely people who I'm still in touch with and there was no difference at all between them and the English children and parents. Both parents were in IT and very educated but so lovely and down to earth. I know a lot of Filipino girls now cos they look after my husband at the home and they are ALL so lovely. Can't always understand what they say so I have to ask but I've found no difference at all between English and non-English that I've become friends with. Sorry, that's all a bit rambling but hopefully you know what I'm saying! lol

Debster
29-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I hope i dont offend anyone but i have a lady coming tomorrow (if she turns up of course) with her 19 month little boy. She sounds really nice and friendly and is Philopeano i think. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt foreign parents? Im worried they may be really fussy or particular but then again they could be better than English parents if you get what i mean?
Sorry if i sound like im being racist, im not, i just dont know what to expect?

Hayley xx:)

Good luck with that. I think it will be a postive thing to have someone of different culture you can learn from things from parents.
Debs

Ebs71
29-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Oh well, she didn't turn up (didnt think she would) so ive just rang her and she said i was to far from her home. I said to her when she first rang to let me know if she wasn't coming and i reminded her this when i just spoke to her. :angry: So angry as i was supposed to be going my family today 50miles away who i havn't seen for weeks as today was my only day off work, but i cancelled and they understood. Its not the 1st time people havn't turned up and im sick to death of time wasters :angry:

Sorry for the moan :mad: