PDA

View Full Version : Getting stuck for ideas for under twos

acorns
27-11-2008, 11:45 PM
I have two 16 month old mindees and a baby of 6 months. I'm getting stumped on ideas. We usually do the following:
play with anything they fancy, I usualy get a few things out and the rest they can self select
we sing, dance
do nursery rhymes
read books
I have tried play doh & gloop & glue & sticking but one barely touches it and the other (my own dd) likes to eat it & nearly choked on some play doh last time (she's sooo quick!).
We've done mark making, which they are both quite interested in.
I have a new baby starting on Monday and I need quick easy ideas. Other than repeating what I do has anyone got any other ideas?? thanks

oakie dokie
28-11-2008, 06:35 AM
i have done dried pasta shapes in tuff spot, supervised of course! mine quite liked that.

acorns
29-11-2008, 10:24 PM
what's tuff spot :huh:

Mollymop
29-11-2008, 10:32 PM
I do water play - put a messy mat down and fill a tub of bubbly warm water - strip the 16 month old's off and let them play with it. I put toys in there and my 16 month old mindee likes to splash and rub the water on herself.

I tried cooked spagetti once - all she wanted to do was eat it and she got a bit freaked out when I put some in her hand - but this sort of messy play is good. Cornflour and water, or Jelly to play with

It is difficult though to plan for little ones. I most let the 16 month old play and climb and sit with me and look through books, etc.

acorns
29-11-2008, 10:47 PM
I don't know if I'm expecting too much of myself or what? but I kinda feel that I should be doing more than what I do (thanks for the new ideas). They are happy with what we do, apart from the one that screams but he does that wherever he is (in/out/playgroup) so i dont think it's related to what we do but it's starting to give me a complex!!!!

sammy
30-11-2008, 09:15 PM
well i have a 10 month old 18 month and 2 year old together

we normally do musical songs and instruments

teddy bears picnic using a colourful blanket, teddys and cups and spoons could even add tea bags for a real feel

water play so they can splash around i normally fill up a tray each so they can play,also have pouring toys and ducks etc

also rice and pasta mixed with foil shapes, also i dye the pasta too, also get dried beans etc and give them containers, cake cases, whisks etc and they pretent to make dinners etc

Ive also just made a sensory room which is wicked, i love it more than the kids!! but its got a fish bubble lamp, a disco ball, crinkly foil, mirrors all types of different balls and materials they like playing peekaboo with, uv light with uv reactor toys, treasure baskets too. the babys love it

maybe make a little assault course with tunnels, beanbags, ball pit etc (i have alot of space in my house so can manage all these items, but they are great ideas.

Oh yes also puppets i got a tortoise one and laminated some leaves, the kids loved feeding him.

I hope you find some useful

Sam x

sarah707
01-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Lots of brilliant ideas there!

don't forget, most of the play you do with that age group is repetitive, for 2 reasons...

1. they like repetition, it makes them feel safe;

2. most of their learning needs to be consolidated and repeated.

So don't feel bad about doing things over and over again - only you are bored :D