PDA

View Full Version : observations

littlepixies
23-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Hey, ok i thought i would try and start doing planning using the eyfs but havent got my head round it as yet. so i thought i would start off with observations but again not sure what exactly is expected.... long short? detailed? reference? linked to planning in futere how?? ne thoughts and ideas would be great thanks

sarah707
23-01-2008, 09:31 AM
The best observations (in my opinion) are kept very simple and referred back to the learning and development goals in the EYFS...

J, aged 2, played in the damp sand - he made marks with a stick... referred back to learning and development in communication, language and literacy - writing OR creative development - mark making...

This would not be a very good observation for a 4 year old if they have been making marks for years... you would maybe look at whether they had an appropriate grip on their stick (physical development - using tools for a purpose) or whether the child was giving the marks names (communiation, language and literacy - reading)...

We will need to show, through observation, that each child is meeting or working towards meeting the learning and development goals for their age and developmental level.

Then we should think about how we are going to move on the child's learning by planning his 'next steps'...

Hope this makes sense! :D

wellybelly
23-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Ive just purchased some Look, Listen and Note observation books from Bromley Childminding Association. I suppose you could make your own observation records but Im no good at that and I like these.

You can get them from their website or off ebay. I paid £7 for 5 or 10 (Sorry cant remember) but theres loads of information in them relating to EYFS and their just handing to keep around.

Banana
23-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Will have a look at these later, Thanks Katie

x

bubbly
24-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Ive just purchased some Look, Listen and Note observation books from Bromley Childminding Association. I suppose you could make your own observation records but Im no good at that and I like these.

You can get them from their website or off ebay. I paid £7 for 5 or 10 (Sorry cant remember) but theres loads of information in them relating to EYFS and their just handing to keep around.
I have the Look, Listen and Note booklets too. Haven't had time to look at them properly yet but at a brief glance they seem quite good and straight forward. They'd be easy for anyone to use as a guide/template and make up their own.

I also have the Planning booklets and once again, at a brief glance, they look quite straight forward.

I've got the general idea of what we need to do for EYFS but my problem is having activity ideas and being able to link them to the development areas. I'm sure that's because I'm a newbie and it isn't second nature yet.