PDA

View Full Version : check your first aid certificate

gailee
23-01-2008, 07:49 AM
i just checked my first aid cert thinking i had plenty of time to do refresher course but when i looked at it , it runs out at the end of the january yikes :panic: So i've managed to book myself in for refresher for this thursday and next thursday 6.30 - 9.30 so now mad rush thursday hopefully twins will go about 5.45 i'll have something quick to eat then drive to the place? i might just make it for 6.30

gail

miffy
23-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Oh lucky you - i hate the first aid training - well really the bit where you have to do mouth to mouth on all those horrible dummies - yuk!!!

Fortunately mine has another year to run but thanks for the reminder

Have fun doing yours!

Miffy xx

manjay
23-01-2008, 08:15 AM
The next one that is running close to me is in June! Luckily my inspector said it was ok for me to book on this one as it will be 8 months after my registration. Otherwise I would have had a 2 hour drive to get to another one

amanda xx

Raggydolls
23-01-2008, 08:33 AM
on my icp course i was told u have up to 6 months after u register to get a first aid certificate, so booked myself onto a course at the end of this jan, now im registered i rang up my local support worker person about my grant and was told i cannot start to childmind until after the first aid, i complained at her if i had known that i wud have chose a 2 afternoon course and not a 4 week night course, so now im going to have to wait another week b4 i start first aid 4 weeks while doing it, then up to another 4 weeks for my ncma stuff to arrive after i have my first aid certificate, its now going to be the standard u have to have a first aid certificate b4 u start to mind. totally annoyed i have to wait another 9 weeks b4 i can start earning, apart from the fact we r struggling with cash as i expected to be working now :-(

leanne
xx

sarah707
23-01-2008, 08:47 AM
The current standards say you have to do first aid and icp within 6 months of starting up... BUT -

Page 31 of EYFS Statutory Framework says...

You 'must have attended a training course within 6 months of registration and must hold a current paediatric first aid certificate at point of registration'

It changes with EYFS in Sept... NOT NOW!

Have another word Raggydolls and quote the facts from the EYFS :D

Banana
23-01-2008, 10:09 AM
I agree with Sarah.

You need to do the first aid within 6 months of registering. I had been minding a month before my first aid started,

xx

Raggydolls
23-01-2008, 10:23 AM
i phoned them back up and apparently its got nothing to do with the eyfs, its our local council/start up grant ppl that made those rules up. but ive managed to find away around it, im buying my own ncma starter tool kit. means i wont have to wait for the free one, and then i can apply for the rest of the grant (toys and equipment side of the grant) once my first aid certificate is thru

woohooo

just waiting on confirmation for defo tho, lol

leanne
xx

Banana
23-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Thats good then Leanne

xx

sarah707
23-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Well done Leanne.... :D

littlestar
23-01-2008, 04:24 PM
leanne how do you apply for your free start up pack do you have to have insurance first?

deeb66
23-01-2008, 04:43 PM
i just checked my first aid cert thinking i had plenty of time to do refresher course but when i looked at it , it runs out at the end of the january yikes :panic: So i've managed to book myself in for refresher for this thursday and next thursday 6.30 - 9.30 so now mad rush thursday hopefully twins will go about 5.45 i'll have something quick to eat then drive to the place? i might just make it for 6.30

gail

Hi Gail

I have just noticed the timings of your course.

Just to check and make sure that I haven't read/understood it wrong.......you are doing a refresher which takes a total of 6 hours over 2 weeks....is that right?

If so I am afraid that course will not surfice......you have to re-do the 12 hour course every 3 years....a short refresher is not good enough and Ofsted will not accept it.

sarah707
23-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Dee's right...

Raggydolls
24-01-2008, 04:00 PM
hi marlene, you should find out on your icp course whether u will be entitled to a start up grant or not, some areas have them others dont.

leanne
xx

Rubybubbles
24-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi Gail

I have just noticed the timings of your course.

Just to check and make sure that I haven't read/understood it wrong.......you are doing a refresher which takes a total of 6 hours over 2 weeks....is that right?

If so I am afraid that course will not surfice......you have to re-do the 12 hour course every 3 years....a short refresher is not good enough and Ofsted will not accept it.

took the words from my mouth!! I'm on 2 day course in April, as mine runs out in May (smug for being on the ball for a change!)

gailee
25-01-2008, 01:01 PM
hi they didn't tell me that on the phone ??? i phone the them told them that my first aid runs out in Feb and they said to do the refresher so they booked me in for january if i didn't do this course by end of january then i would have to start again and do the 12 hour course... my first aid was last night and i had the same bloke that did it last time(3 years ago) and he said nothing he said "it must be 3 years when i saw you last and welcome to your refresher course" :panic:

Blaze
25-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Sorry but the others are right 12 hour course every 3 years...a yearly refresher is optional as things stand (between the every three years 12 hour course)...but I have heard whisperings that this may become compulsary inder EYFS.
Tasha:)

deeb66
25-01-2008, 03:38 PM
hi they didn't tell me that on the phone ??? i phone the them told them that my first aid runs out in Feb and they said to do the refresher so they booked me in for january if i didn't do this course by end of january then i would have to start again and do the 12 hour course... my first aid was last night and i had the same bloke that did it last time(3 years ago) and he said nothing he said "it must be 3 years when i saw you last and welcome to your refresher course" :panic:

I am sorry to hear this Gail....but I have found that half the time these people don't necessarily know what is an Ofsted requirement for childcarers.

You have to book on a 12 hour course specific to paediatric and childcare and is generally known as the Early Year & Childcare first aid course.

I hope you manage to get the correct course booked - good luck

gailee
26-01-2008, 08:48 PM
hi i'm getting confused the course i'm on is the pediatric (spellin) first aid course but the refresher ?? i'll have to phone on monday ?? :panic:

Pauline
27-01-2008, 05:46 PM
also, for those who are already registered (rather than those doing it within 6 months of registration) if your certificate runs out and you have your inspection you will automatically get inadequate unless you have something in writing to say you are booked onto a course, in which case you will get satisfactory.

So DO NOT let you certificate lapse if you are due for an inspection! :panic:

miffy
27-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks Pauline

Hope you get it sorted gail

Miffy xx

deeb66
03-02-2008, 09:56 PM
hi i'm getting confused the course i'm on is the pediatric (spellin) first aid course but the refresher ?? i'll have to phone on monday ?? :panic:

Did you manage to get it all sorted Gail?

sarahstanbridge
29-02-2008, 04:51 PM
also, for those who are already registered (rather than those doing it within 6 months of registration) if your certificate runs out and you have your inspection you will automatically get inadequate unless you have something in writing to say you are booked onto a course, in which case you will get satisfactory.

So DO NOT let you certificate lapse if you are due for an inspection! :panic:

hi, my certificate runs out in mid april and my inspection is going to be on 27 march. so i need to book onto a course soon. will that be ok with ofsted do you know?

sarah

deeb66
29-02-2008, 04:55 PM
It should be ok as your certificate will still be valid when the inspection is done.

The inspector may however ask if you have already booked your next one (Forward planning!) and I think it would be good if you could answer Yes and tell her when you are doing it.

Heaven Scent
29-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Yes everyone is right about 12 hour course. Does anyone remember when that came out in 03 I organised and booked a course for all of the staff at the nursery and prp school where I worked and Invited staff from one or two surrounding nurseries to join us. I was away at my father-in-laws funeral when the ofsted inspector was in and she asked about some certificates that had expired, it wasn't an issue because we had more than adequate numbers of staff with 1st aid cover manager told her how many covered and that caurse was booked and it was then that she said ita had to be 12 hour my manager rang me and rang me while I was in the funeral car - how rude she knew I was at the funeral that day and she asked me loads of questions about the course I had to rush back to work to try to organise an alternative course and it was extremelyh hard to find one which met their requirements. No one seemed to know about it and no notification was sent out about it. For an organisation who live and breathe by paperwork you'd think they'd have theirs up to scratch.

Anyone else have problems like this.

Celine:angry: :angry: :angry:

sarah707
29-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I booked my course for this June... back in December, so I wouldn't miss out. It was the only one I could make the timing for... that's what drives me mad, not having courses at sensible times and having to drive for miles to get to them :(

Pauline
06-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I booked my course for this June... back in December, so I wouldn't miss out. It was the only one I could make the timing for... that's what drives me mad, not having courses at sensible times and having to drive for miles to get to them :(

We are really lucky, our local Sure Start Centre have welcomed us childminders in and are letting us join in their first aid training, Graham can come too as my assistant. It's all free, during the day over 4 weeks and they provide a creche (parents permission of course)

Great not to have to give up any Saturdays! :)

wendywu
06-03-2008, 01:40 PM
You lucky c**w i really value my saturdays, got to give up 2 in may to do first aid ...sigh :(