PDA

View Full Version : Re: URGENT safety advice required

patevans
27-11-2008, 07:38 AM
I share an entry with my neighbours and have to walk through their garden to get into mine, they have an overflow leak of hot water at the minute which is over the entry, It has been like this for nearly 4 weeks now and the fllor in the entry is very very slippy. Everyone is complaining about it so I spoke the lads that live there they are polish and sort of got what I was on about I have also contacted the landlord of the house but they are not answering there phoone or voicemail - have called four times in the past 2 weeks!! I have supplied a safety notice to all parents andhave one displayed, what else can I do? I am frightened that a parent carrying a baby may slip (have a heavily preg mum too). http://img3.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/scared/scared0010.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-innocent-smileys.php)

ajs
27-11-2008, 07:44 AM
sorry i don't know what to advise
it sounds like you're doing as much as you can

although could the pregnant mum just meet you outside so she doesn't have to walk where it's very slippery, not ideal i know but possibly better then the alternative

patevans
27-11-2008, 07:47 AM
sorry i don't know what to advise
it sounds like you're doing as much as you can

although could the pregnant mum just meet you outside so she doesn't have to walk where it's very slippery, not ideal i know but possibly better then the alternative

She said she's fine walking down as they are aware it gets slippy when it rains as well so she said she's always careful, I have wrote in the safety notices if they need help carrying children or bags past this point then let me know but they are all saying they are fine!! http://img3.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sad/sad0020.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-msn-smileys.php)

mandy moo
27-11-2008, 12:37 PM
it might sound a bit drastic but could your parents ring the land lord saying they'll sue if child gets scaulded by hot water, & specialy the pregnant mum, she could leave a message saying she will sue if something happens to her or unborn LO..
sometimes just a threat of somethig works

Princess Sara
27-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Is there no other way to enter your house, i.e through back garden or something? I know alot of newer houses are made to have 2 exits via back gates through the garden.

I would keep hasselling the landlord, couple of times a day until they get back to you. I don't suppose that as you are a buisness could you not contact HSE or something? All else fails, the police? I guess they sound like a long shot though and would probably take just as long to get back to you...

Don't suppose you could nail a huge plastic sheet over the affected area to stop splashing, and buy some rock salt to put on the floor to stop slipping?

FizzysFriends
27-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Can you find out if they rent it direct with the land lord or through a management company? I would get the contact details of either and keep calling telling them you will call EHO in 7 days and then actually call them.

patevans
27-11-2008, 01:33 PM
They rent direct from the landlord and I have his number but he is not answering any calls or voicemails, could be away but I have been trying for 2 weeks now!!

FizzysFriends
27-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Call the council, speak to EHO and ask their advice, it may be that they need you to take steps before they will step in.

patevans
27-11-2008, 01:34 PM
it might sound a bit drastic but could your parents ring the land lord saying they'll sue if child gets scaulded by hot water, & specialy the pregnant mum, she could leave a message saying she will sue if something happens to her or unborn LO..
sometimes just a threat of somethig works

They are not answering the phone I have left voicemails but had no replies, they maybe on hols but I really dont know!! Never heard of rock salt, where can I get it?

patevans
27-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Call the council, speak to EHO and ask their advice, it may be that they need you to take steps before they will step in.

Called the council and they said there is nothing they can do, they said if I contact EH they might say I cant mind!! :panic:

FizzysFriends
27-11-2008, 01:45 PM
How about someone that governs landlords, after all he isn't doing his job properly is he!

mushpea
27-11-2008, 02:03 PM
call the water company that deals with your area, we recently had the water company come to us and threaten action because of a leaking overflow, it started leaking on the monday, they spoke to us on the wedensday and i had to explain that it would be fixed by the weekend (i had already booked the plumber) and they came back and checked the following monday. i think they only picked up on it with us so quick because they happen to be driving past, i also have a very vindictive and jealous neighbhour too so could have been her.
anyway the point is water companys don't like water being wasted so they might be able to help you get it sorted.