PDA

View Full Version : introducing childminding practice college course

mumx3
25-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I went to the coffee morning briefing last week and they mentioned that the college course which needs to be completed within the first 6 months of registering, could be done at a local college as an evening class, or online.

I have had a quick google and I cant find any online courses I think it is called either Introducing Chilminding Practice or CACHE diploma in Home-based Care. But I want to do the online course if there is such a thing, as my husband works evenings and I will have to payout to have my own children babysat while I do it otherwise.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

sarah707
25-11-2008, 06:26 PM
ICP is something you have to go to... I do not know of it being home study.

It's about meeting local childminders as well as doing the course work.

I know it says within 6 months BUT the majority of areas will not even give you the registration pack until you have done most or all of the course... which means you can't get the CRB check or doctor's medical check or Ofsted visit done until you are well on your way to finishing the course.

It's a slow process I'm afraid.

Best ask your local Children's Information Service for more advice :D

Adiamond
25-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi,I have just had my pre-briefing session with my local early years team and she told me that there are not any college courses available until feb at the earliest but she said i can do a home study course instead if i want to get on with it.If you search NEC colleges the course is on their web site and it costs £186.....I am going to do it as I need to get on and do something,I don't want to wait until feb.
hope this helps.:)

FizzysFriends
25-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I did my ICP as a distance learning course. There was no on-line teaching though, I got a pack of notes and was told to let them know when I wanted to sit an exam which I did in the next lot of exams. The exam was in the day so no babysitter needed, BONUS!!!

mumx3
25-11-2008, 08:33 PM
thanks for the info I will check out the NEC website.

singlewiththree
26-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Another thing to consider is most areas give a start-up grant which will cover the cost of the course, first aid and insurance for the first year. However I believe that you cant claim the course back if you have done it online or elsewhere. Its definately worth speaking to your local childrens information service about it.

Adiamond
26-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Hi,Fizzysfriends did you do your course through the NEC college? or someone different? if so can you tell me who you used please? because I cannot find anymore that are less than £200.00.Thanks in advance x x x

Flowerpot
26-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi there
I did this from home just last week with the NEC. It was brilliant as I did the whole thing in my own time and just emailed my tutor with the assignments. She generally marked them and sent them back within the same day. I guess the drawback is that you have to cover the cost yourself, but better than having to take a week off work whenever a local course becomes available :)
It cost around £170 (think I got a discount for some reason!) - their switchboard number is 01223 400200.
FPx

mumx3
27-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Hi flowerpot

I just had a closer look at the NEC website and the sample course...it looks good, and quite fun actually. Did you do the whole thing in a week? If so you must have been busy!

I think I am going to gather up the money (£186) and give it a go. Seems straight forward enough.

Thanks

jessie1
04-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Hi Mumx3

I also found out back in March that i could do it through the National Extension College as we then didnt have any spaces left. I then spoke to the Childrens Information Service I think or whoever deals with the funding and lady told me that I could do it and if it costs £200 I could claim back only £110 of it but that she needed to send me a different form out to enable me to claim it back. Which she did, luckily for me I found a place on local ICP course and was able to do it in two Saturdays. Oh and NEC you can pay off, pay deposit and then pay as u learn so by the time u done u must have paid fees as well but exam does cost additional

Mollymop
04-12-2008, 07:40 AM
I hope you got something sorted hun xxx