PDA

View Full Version : how do you put mindees to sleep?

amirah85
24-11-2008, 09:11 PM
let's say you have a couple of babies ,what do you do?rock them one at the time?or bottle-feed them to sleep?what about the other mindees whilst you do that?sorry if stupid question,I'm very new:o

miss mopple
24-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Is it wrong that I thought of drugging them reading that thread title :laughing:

To be honest I havent had any trouble getting them to sleep. I tend to just pop them upstairs in a travel cot and they go off straight away.

On the rare occasion I have had a screamer who wont settle I put a cot downstairs and so they know I am close and rock if necessary while the others are occupied playing.

Its a juggling act but you'll find a way :)

Lou
24-11-2008, 09:31 PM
ha ha ha:laughing: sorry you made me laugh Mrs mopple!

i do the same, i have 3 bedrooms, so 3 travel cots up and they go up for a sleep after lunch.

simple as that!

gemhei
24-11-2008, 09:48 PM
I put DD in her cot as her rooms downstairs and mindee in travel cot, sometimes she plays up so mum says i can put her in the pram laid flat and rock her (i have permission for this). I usually just draw curtains half way to make a little darker and keep as quiet as i can. I dont use upstairs for childminding. When i worked with preschoolers, i found the little ready bed matresses a god send. Line them up with curtains closed and all go to sleep together (not me obv lol, although sometimes i was close)

crazybones
24-11-2008, 09:49 PM
:laughing: I actually thought bopping them over the head Mrs. Mopple. :blush:

I am lucky as over the years I have only had one child who had to be rocked to sleep (upright in a buggy, over the bump on the kitchen floor with the extractor fan on :rolleyes: ) and that was my eldest.

Luckily all the others just get popped down in the travel cot and drop off. At the moment one likes to sleep before lunch and the other after lunch so I am not lucky enough to get them all off at once unless they have fell asleep in the pram whilst we are out.

sarah707
24-11-2008, 09:49 PM
You need to ask parents what their home routines are and follow those as much as possible... according to the Eyfs :D

berkschick
24-11-2008, 09:51 PM
I have always been led by what the parents do to start with and then I mould them to my way which is in the cot awake and put ourself to sleep!

loocyloo
24-11-2008, 09:59 PM
the only problem with asking how they get to sleep at home, is that apparently, none of the little ones i look after DO sleep at home!

i took on a babe at 6mths ... apparently babe did a couple of 20 mins naps a day ... within 2 days babe was doing 1 hr in the morning (on school run in reclined pushchair) and 2 hrs in afternoon in cot or reclined (goes flat!) pushchair in garden! child is 2 1/2 yr now, and still needs the 2 hr sleep every afternoon!!!! they all sleep for 2 hrs each afternoon, until they turn 3ish/genuinely give up daytime sleeps!

i have always popped them in the cot/travel cot/pram with a fleece blanket and they seem to nod off at once, (although a few have taken a while of me standing by the cot whilst they got used to the idea!) and then i have to wake them! when they are babes, i do introduce a muslin as a comforter/sign it is sleeptime! then, if we are out, and can't get home for bed, usually a muslin is enough to get them to sleep!

xxx

balloon
24-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Just lay them down in the cots and they settle themselves. I care for two under ones at the same time and rarely have any problems at nap time. (You should see dinner time though! :laughing: )

Twinkles
24-11-2008, 10:08 PM
:laughing: I actually thought bopping them over the head Mrs. Mopple. :blush:

Me too , my first thought when I read the title was ' a big hammer ' :laughing: naughty childminder.

I find they soon learn to settle themselves , even if they still play up at home.
I just put them in their cots, kiss them and leave.
Same routine every day ( except school hols ) .
Lunch, face and hand wipe , nappy change or toilet , find cuddly toy or dummy or both off to cot to sleep.
Mine all sleep at the same time.

Andrea08
24-11-2008, 10:55 PM
i too thought Sledge hammer but after whats in d news i thought better read what you lot posted 1st lol

good luck
x

mandy moo
25-11-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm just glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that, I did wonder:laughing:
one of my mindees is 15mths and mum puts him to sleep in the buggy (it lies flat) outside, in all weather, so this is wot I do, within reason of course.
Mandy

acorns
25-11-2008, 05:04 PM
I thought whisky in their milk:) (works for me)
I have two 16months. They both sleep at the same time & are both put into their cots. minded one initally had other ideas, used to scream for a hour before he went of, but now on most days he'll lie down & go to sleep straight away. They do some round to your routine in the end (as long as this is iniatlly based on what goes on at home)