PDA

View Full Version : eating probs with a 2yrold

mushpea
24-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi all, I have had this little fella since september, when he first came to me each time we sat down at the table for lunch he would just sit and cry and and kick his feet (basicly have a paddy) for the entire lunch period and wouldn't eat. i found out that at home his lunch is put on the coffee table and he can eat it when and where he feels like it. I perseverd and eventualy it went from crying, to sitting and sulking to him eating some of his food. on his plate I put fruit, crisps and a sandwich, not a big amount of each just small bits, well, he would eat all the crisps and nothing else so this couple of weeks i put on his plate just a sandwich and told him when he had eaten that he could have some crisps, now we have gone back to sulking and he won't eat anything. trouble is he then expects to have somthing to eat when the others come infrom school as he is obviously starving by then. friday it was kit kat for snack as its treat day and he sat down expectingly but i wouldn't let him have one and explained it was because he didn't eat lunch.
do you think if he dosent eat lunch i should still give him snack or should i save his sandwich and give him that at snack time to try and make him understand, then if he eats his sandwich give him a small peice of whatever the snack is? or should he not get sanck at all if he don't eat lunch? don't want him to eat to much at snack time as need him to eat his tea here too.
would be so grate ful for any advice,

devoncm
24-11-2008, 09:18 AM
I wouldnt give anything for snack unless they eat their meal, if their small then i might give some of the sandwhich and say that they can have their snack food when they have ate their tea.

Blaze
24-11-2008, 09:22 AM
When my LO was 18 months he got very ill (with lots of vomitting) & basically refused to eat...I used the 5/10 bite method (used it with my dd who is older as she was v. fussy & i wanted to broaden what she ate)...you might want to start with 1 bite..ie the LO has 1 bite/spoon of whatever is dished...LOTS of praise...then is done & has crisps, puddingetc, this is increased over time you can do one square of a sandwich 10 spoons etc...great way to encourage counting....If he hasn't eaten i would save it & do the same at snack time...if he has 1 bite, he then gts the snack...IYSWIM? I wouldn't withold food at snacktime as so young if he hsn't eaten lunch....if he refuses lunch food at snacktime then offer a healthy snack...NO TREATY STUFF...the main thing is to give tons of praise & fuss.:)

PS be careful he doesn't fill up on drinks in the meantime.

venus89
24-11-2008, 11:56 AM
I definately wouldn't withold all food from him at snack time. You say he's starving by then anyway so making him hugrier isn't going to help. I like Blazes idea - if he gets something different from others as a punishment for not eating at lunch then it won't help. I like Blazes idea - would Mum and Dad consider him having proper meals at home so he's not being forced to be singled out (by his actions) at yours?

What about crisp sandwiches?! :laughing:

katickles
24-11-2008, 12:09 PM
I also would try Blaze's idea. I know my dd can sometimes be awkward, but I tell her she needs to eat some before pudding, like towards the end of her meal & she gets board, i tell her one last one, & she always will take a spoon/fork full & then gets her pudding.

Maybe its worth mentioning to mum & dad the problems & ask them to work alongside you, making the lo eat in the highchair at home.x

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/23/2396/239639.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

mushpea
24-11-2008, 01:39 PM
thanks for all your help, tried blazes idea and he wouldnt even take one bit of his sandwich, i then tried showing him the crisps and said eat one bite and you can have some crisps but he threw the sandwich at me!!!! so then i picked it up (it landed on the table) and tried putting it to his mouth to see if he would eat it from me but no luck.
I have tried talking to his mum about it but she just said its becuase he likes to run around whilst eating which I have explained to her it is not somthing I do at mine and he needs to learn to sit and eat not only at my house but for when he goes to playschool and school. unfortunalty it dosen't seem to bother her that he goes without.

Blaze
24-11-2008, 06:56 PM
I never said it was easy!:D Keep at it...it does work...you just have to be persistant...it gets much easier once you've got the first bite down.:)