PDA

View Full Version : Stairgates

Rasharoon
23-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi

I've a one year old starting in just over a week and need to sort out my stairs. Now I've a gate up at the kitchen which goes either side of the door post but with my stairs, I've one side which is a wall and the other is the a stair post. We tried before with a gate and it just didn't work as wasn't sturdy enough.

Has anybody any recommendations how to keep my stairs safe without a gate?

Thanks

RachelE
23-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Where are your stairs?-living room/hall? (Are they are away from your main area of play?)

How many other LO's do you have? I'm just thinking if you're new mindee is your only one not confident on the stairs - and you can manage them (not allowing them alone near the stairs), then I'd be inclined not to worry about it.
If you can explain to the parents that you wont allow the child to come into danger, this may be an option?

My minded LO is never alone near the stairs and I shut the lounge door. The parents know this and have never questioned it.

HTH,
Rachel x

don the duck
23-11-2008, 06:31 PM
hello. we had the same peoblem. we put stair gates up for my son who is now 3.
we have the wal and banister the other sde. we used mama & Papas ones. Non pernament.
how we managed our was a step then we put the gates up. my son uses the step to pop his shoes on.

Rasharoon
23-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Where are your stairs?-living room/hall? (Are they are away from your main area of play?)

How many other LO's do you have? I'm just thinking if you're new mindee is your only one not confident on the stairs - and you can manage them (not allowing them alone near the stairs), then I'd be inclined not to worry about it.
If you can explain to the parents that you wont allow the child to come into danger, this may be an option?

My minded LO is never alone near the stairs and I shut the lounge door. The parents know this and have never questioned it.

HTH,
Rachel x

Thanks. I've the living room then the stairs are outside in the hall which lead to the toilet and play room so no avoiding them. I'll have her 3 year old sister here as well.

I can't think what to do.

gemhei
23-11-2008, 08:49 PM
I had this problem too, the stairs were to narrow as it was an old house. I got my dad to fit two thin peices of wood at each side of opening and then he made a gate that slid between wood at each side. I explained to ofsted that we had to do that because gates wouldnt fit, she said ah good idea but with stairs being in hall way you could get away with it if you explained how you supervised them out here at all times :angry: .

acorns
23-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I have stairs in my hall and we cant fit a gate on them. So I have a gate across the living room and play room doorways so the kids cant access the stair area at all unless i'm with them. We have managed to fit one at the top of the stairs though.

Lou
23-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I have a wall one side and bannister the other side, i bought a kiddiguard stairgate which is fab.

It does have to be screwed into wall, but on the other side is just two plastic fittings that it clicks on to,

I love it as when its not being used its just rolls back out of the way