PDA

View Full Version : How many obs do you do each weeK?

acorns
23-11-2008, 11:10 AM
I've been doing daily obs for some time now, which has been fine as i've had only 1 child to mind. This is now changing and I wont be able to do daily obs any longer. I am intending to do 1 per week, which is a sentence followed by the eyfs areas this links into, followed by the next steps. I'm sure i've read somewhere that 2 per month is what Ofsted expect so i'll still be doing more. Just wondrered what all of you do? My Obs then lead into my Planning of which I write up 1 activity a week and I'm going to keep this the same.

balloon
23-11-2008, 11:22 AM
I've been doing them as and when something comes up tbh but 2 of my mindees are under one so there's not often a lot to observe that's different.

I do a bit more for the 2 year old but nothing like one a week, perhaps I'm not doing them often enough but I didn't think it made sense to do them for the sake of doing them if you see what I mean.

I do the parents of all under 5's a daily diary which has any milestones etc in it too so maybe that counts as obs too?

acorns
23-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I do a daily diary also and have been feeling like i'm doubling up on the work I do & that's why i'm looking at better (quicker) ways of doing it. Like you do I write some obs like new words or sounds in the diary. Everything is taking me so long at the moment there's got to be a better way, that gives the same level of service for child & parent.

patevans
23-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I do one planned a week either follwing on from next steps or a theme or child interest then if I pick up on something daily I note it down, I also do daily diaries which says what they covered even if it was playing with jig saws I'll write what that covered, then I do 1 photo ob per month! Whether I am doing it right or not is another story http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/indifferent/indifferent0005.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-happy-smileys.php)

sarah707
23-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I try and do one a week but some weeks it doesn't happen... other weeks I might do a few :D

Hannahlg
23-11-2008, 04:21 PM
well it depends how many we see

if either me or my mum see an obseravtion we jsut write it down on a pad of paper

some days we dont do any and some days we might do like 6 or 7

jmoff
23-11-2008, 05:48 PM
I do one a week, sometimes it doesn't happen...my inspector was happy with this I also try and do a planned ob with a photo - 1 a month, again the inspector was more than happy with this.

acorns
23-11-2008, 05:53 PM
I do one a week, sometimes it doesn't happen...my inspector was happy with this I also try and do a planned ob with a photo - 1 a month, again the inspector was more than happy with this.

That sounds good, if I can do 1 planned activity per month & 1 ob a week & they are happy then it'll help me claim back some time. I do the activities anyway it's just all the time it takes to write them up etc that I need to streamline

loocyloo
23-11-2008, 07:25 PM
hi, i do one planned ob per child, per half term!

but i also write quick/brief obs if i see something/something strikes me, and i take lots of photos, which, if when i look at look useful, i then put in the childrens developmental books! so maybe one a week, but some of my children only come for one day a week, and one child, for only 2 1/2 hrs a week!!!

xxx

PixiePetal
23-11-2008, 11:10 PM
hi, i do one planned ob per child, per half term!

but i also write quick/brief obs if i see something/something strikes me, and i take lots of photos, which, if when i look at look useful, i then put in the childrens developmental books! so maybe one a week, but some of my children only come for one day a week, and one child, for only 2 1/2 hrs a week!!!

xxx

It's hard when you only have a child for few hours once a week. I have one boy who comes for one morning when we either go to toddler group or childminding group. His mum sends him for his social life! ( used to have him on one of her working mornings and he made such a good connection with other mindee she wanted to keep it up when they both started different nurseries).
They are so pleased to see each other and always want to do the same things!

John
24-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Here what i do is write a obs acivity sheet with photo with every thing we done and are learning in the activity once a month. Every day i carry a small note pad and pen to write down anything that's the child as not done or said before in my presents.

Example if we are learning colours in a game we play and the child says RED for the first time then i'll write in in my obs same with numbers etc.

I take photos show then to dad before i print them and write about what the child is doing and learning from the activity, this is done once a week.

You don't have to write everything down in the full time the child is there in that day, Just snipets of what new things the child as learn. But carrying a small pad and pen around with you will help you put that down before you forget what the child did do or said.

John.

berkschick
24-11-2008, 07:57 PM
1 written a week and 1 photo a month as a general rule!