PDA

View Full Version : lunch ideas!

Donkey
22-11-2008, 03:30 PM
need some ideas for lunches, ive finally got my evening meal menu worked out

apart from sandwiches, jacket potatoes and omlettes im struggling...

help!!

balloon
22-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Can't help I'm afraid as I'm in much the same boat but will be watching the replies with interest.

OOh, one of the things I'd thought about was cheese / tuna wraps, I'm sure somebody mentioned them on here before.

sarah707
22-11-2008, 04:10 PM
I've just written an e-book about healthy packed lunches ... it's £1.45 on my website she says shamelessly plugging herself! :blush:

Make a list of different types of bread... you should come up with 5 or 6...

Then different fillings that the children will eat... probably another 5 or 6...

Then pasta, noodles, rice - hot or cold ...

Then consider what veg they will eat and how you can incorporate it into salads, sandwiches and the noodles, rice & pasta...

Then think multiculturally with the whole lot ...

Add 2 pieces of fruit - fruit salad, in a drink, on the side, cooked into something healthy like a muffin / something milky (full fat, they need the energy) and a healthy drink and you've got a really good lunch menu :D

PixiePetal
22-11-2008, 04:19 PM
mine like houmos and pitta to dip, along with carrot sticks etc :)

mandy moo
22-11-2008, 04:19 PM
My own boys like what they call a 'combo'
the pub near us used to do something similar and I adapt it to wot ive got in the fridge etc.
Either cheese on toast or strips of chicken or slices of meat, fish sticks, potato skins with cheese, a small pot 1or2 tbsp of baked bears, (my 2 like prawns) then I add 2/3 diffrent types of veg, and some 2/3 diffrent types of fruit prehaps carrott sticks, red yellow or green pepper sticks, cucumber slices, small cherry tomatoes, strawberry if in season, grapes, apple cored and peeled cut in to slices, cheese cubes etc
they also have this for tea sometimes
They also like wraps with different fillings and pitta bread too.
Some times i make sandwiches with a slice of wholemeal and a slice of 50/50,
or a pot of pasta for a change
Mandy

Polly2
22-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Sarah
Would the ideas in your e book be suitable for packed lunches for school? I really struggle with my own kids!

They are 6, 11, 14, 15 so the older ones are concerned with looking "cool" as well

Terrible the peer pressure they have isn't it! My 14 yr old said she couldn't take a yogurt into school (with a spoon) it had for be a frube!!! :eek:

Sorry to hijack thread :blush:

balloon
22-11-2008, 04:24 PM
I've just written an e-book about healthy packed lunches ... it's £1.45 on my website she says shamelessly plugging herself! :blush:

Make a list of different types of bread... you should come up with 5 or 6...

Then different fillings that the children will eat... probably another 5 or 6...

Then pasta, noodles, rice - hot or cold ...

Then consider what veg they will eat and how you can incorporate it into salads, sandwiches and the noodles, rice & pasta...

Then think multiculturally with the whole lot ...

Add 2 pieces of fruit - fruit salad, in a drink, on the side, cooked into something healthy like a muffin / something milky (full fat, they need the energy) and a healthy drink and you've got a really good lunch menu :D

thanks Sarah (and others) one of my mindees comes in with an appalling lunch so I suggested to mum I did her lunch and may need some ideas. I must pop over and take a peek at your ebooks too I've heard such great things about them all.

RachelE
22-11-2008, 05:23 PM
My Lo's (when I had some, before I moved!) Loved 'picnic' lunches. Its a bit easier to modify to peoples tastes.
For these I usually do cherry tomatoes, grapes, cheese cubes, ham, carrot sticks and a choice of bread - pitta, french or 'normal'.

My lo's also used to like soup- esp homemade, which you can make and freeze. (and you know whats in it!)

My son also loves hot dog sausages which are good in cold weather!

Rachel x

PixiePetal
22-11-2008, 05:27 PM
LOs in my house have Monkeys Breakfast for pud - just whatever fruit we have all chopped up in a bowl.
We get through SO MUCH fruit!!

sarah707
22-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Sarah
Would the ideas in your e book be suitable for packed lunches for school? I really struggle with my own kids!

They are 6, 11, 14, 15 so the older ones are concerned with looking "cool" as well

Terrible the peer pressure they have isn't it! My 14 yr old said she couldn't take a yogurt into school (with a spoon) it had for be a frube!!! :eek:

Sorry to hijack thread :blush:

I know all about peer pressure like that... dd loves marmite, in fact at one time it was her staple diet.

Now she won't eat it at school, because her friends say it smells :rolleyes:

Just to say no, my e-books (apart from a new one about looking after school age children, which examines the different register requirements in detail) are all for Eyfs age. Sorry!

tomthumb
22-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Whatever I cook at the weekend I do extra and freeze portions for the mindee's and my lo's lunch during the week.
You can also do easy things like
cauliflower cheese
macaroni cheese
stir fries
pasta with anything on top (meatballs, bacon and creme fraiche...)
risottos (it takes 5 mns to prepare and then cooks on its own for 20 mns)
Omelettes (with cheese, leftover potatoes, sweetcorn, ham)

I hope it helps, I know I struggle for ideas as well but I do weekly menus and keep them so I can go back to them for ideas.

Elodie X

Polly2
24-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks Sarah - not to worry x