PDA

View Full Version : Adopting an animal?

Polly2
22-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Hello

Have any of you adopted an animal? My son's class have adopted an orangatan and I thought it was such a nice idea.

Who is the best to do it through and have any of you ever done it? Did the mindees get much from it?

Thanks in advancex

balloon
22-11-2008, 04:16 PM
We, as a family, adopted donkeys from the donkey sanctuary a few years ago but I haven't done anythng exotic. Maybe a zoo would be a good place to do it?

mandy moo
22-11-2008, 04:26 PM
4 of my friends adopted a baby elephant for my 40th for me,
(I've got a thing about them)
at Whipsnade Zoo.
As we live just down the road, I get to see her a fair bit:) you get a certificate, I received 3 photos of her, complimentry visit tickets and lots of info:)
Mandy

flora
22-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Harry sponsors a dog from dog trust, he gets stickers and pics and newsletters.

you can pick a dog that you can visit and then if you live close enough you can actually see your canine freind.

breezy
22-11-2008, 08:07 PM
dd and ds sponsor horses at our local rescue place, we visit them regularly with mindees.

Please please please can I adopt Monkey !!!! :jump for joy:

Polly2
24-11-2008, 08:53 AM
:laughing: :laughing: breezy!

I was thinking of a panda! I'll have to have a look on the net and see how much it costs

Thanks for replys :thumbsup:

teacake2
25-11-2008, 06:47 PM
We have adopted 2 donkeys from the donkey sanctuary and ours are based in Birmingham so we can visit them on a day trip, we have two horses at the local blue cross centre, five minutes drive away so we can visit them easily, but the main adoption we have is for four Manatees, now these live in Florida so I am afraid I don't take my mindees to see them, but I have seen 2 who live in permanent captivity due to illness, I have seen these two about 6 times now, 1 of the wild ones I was very fortunate to visit his winter home and he happened to be visiting one day and the ranger was able to point him out to me, but the other wild one who lives near Tampa, I have not been able to see her yet. Still it makes a good excuse to visit Florida, I just make the excuse that I have to go and see the girls to make sure they are well (my excuse anyway) and as the best time to see the wild ones is January it is great to escape the English weather, although unfortunately I cannot go this winter so have to satisfy myself looking on the webcams at Tampa and Crystal River.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Teacake2

Polly2
25-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Oh wow! thats great! Can I come to Florida Too :D

angeldelight
26-11-2008, 07:41 AM
dd and ds sponsor horses at our local rescue place, we visit them regularly with mindees.

Please please please can I adopt Monkey !!!! :jump for joy:

Seriously I dont think you would really want to adopt Monkey - imagine it haha

Great idea Holly let us know if you do it

Angel xx