PDA

View Full Version : Oh great another thing to feel guilty about !

Twinkles
21-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I always used mum facing buggies for my own children. But now everything seems to be forward facing.....and then I saw this.................

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20081121/tuk-babies-stressed-out-by-buggies-45dbed5.html

Hebs
21-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I have to say i agree with it for really little babies, they like to see mum and you do talk to them more when they are facing you, but toddlers like to be nosey and see whats going on around them

crazybones
21-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Ooooh I feel smug now. :p Just wish my double faced me too. Having said that my too eldest were too nosey to face me.

I have noticed though on family outings now William is facing us all walking along together we all chat more to each other especially the boys to Will.

Mollymop
21-11-2008, 02:11 PM
They have been saying this for years now.

Blaze
21-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I've always used me facing for as long as possible!:D

littlesprogs
21-11-2008, 02:41 PM
I've always used me facing for as long as possible!:D

can you reccomend one? i need a lightweight one that folds down easily?

Blaze
21-11-2008, 03:03 PM
can you reccomend one? i need a lightweight one that folds down easily?

Bébé Confort Loola X: Front or Rear Facing Pushchair
Compare Prices for Bébé Confort Loola X: Front or Rear Facing Pushchair

Suitable from birth, the Bébé Confort Loola has a 4-position seat unit which can face forward or adjusted to be rear facing. The chassis has all round suspension and lockable swivel wheels, as well as 3-position, height adjustable handlebars and a removable bumper bar.

Small on size and big on comfort, through its elegance and intelligence Loola exerts a genuinely sparkling appeal. Compact and easy to handle in town it should prove a hit for mum, dad and baby.

Features on the Bebe Confort Loola Pushchair include:
Easy to fold into a more compact size, and will fold whatever position the seat unit is in, making it ideal for taking on the bus or train
The seat unit is reversible, meaning that baby can either face forward and watch the world or face you so that you can keep an eye on them.
You can also move the seat unit into a reclining position easily with one hand so that you don't disturb baby
You can switch between fixed or swivelling front wheels using a handle mounted lock making it easy to manoeuvre on different surfaces including rough ground.
Under manufacturer's guarantee for 6 months
A hood and rain cover are included.
The chassis is compatible with the Creatis infant carrier, which is available separately.

Size and details for the Bebe Confort Loola pushchair include:

All pushchairs comply with BS 7409 and current UK regulations.
Age from: Birth
Dimensions (folded): L92 x W30 x H26cm
Handle height: 93-103cm
Positions: 4
Weight: 10kg.

Blaze
21-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Link with more info & pics for the above:

http://www.marshallward.co.uk/rf/mar/navigation/product.do?D=495490384&SNtk=catalog_no_partial&thisprod=495490384&Ntk=group_search&SNtt=UB473&N=95%20102&Nu=this_product&SN=95%20102&Ntt=495490384&Dx=mode+matchall&Np=1&product=495490384&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&SNu=pca_id&cm_mmc=shopzilla-_-ELECTRICAL

littlesprogs
21-11-2008, 03:23 PM
thanks blaze x

emmadines
21-11-2008, 03:25 PM
and in a couple months time they will say that rear facing buggies will cause this and that! Ive never seen a child with problems after sitting in a forward facing buggy!

cloud9
21-11-2008, 06:19 PM
and in a couple months time they will say that rear facing buggies will cause this and that! Ive never seen a child with problems after sitting in a forward facing buggy!

To be honest i agree with you! i have been looking after a 7 month old for a while now and because her mum always has her in the buggy facing her when she sits in mine she screams blue murder if anyone gets into her eye line. If you put a blanket over her half of the buggy (resting on the hood not in her face!) she is fine.
We are now trying to wean her away from the scaredness of people because of this

Pudding Girl
21-11-2008, 07:13 PM
I think it makes sense that speech would be affected by forward facing buggies, mine always had rear facing and I would always prefer to use one tbh, it's really hard to continue a conversation with a youngun when they aren't facing you. You can see just as much about you in a rear facing as a forward facing.

I wish more buggies were multiway, and I REALLY wish that they would make some twins/tandems rearfacing!

Twinkles
21-11-2008, 09:37 PM
I think it makes sense that speech would be affected by forward facing buggies, mine always had rear facing and I would always prefer to use one tbh, it's really hard to continue a conversation with a youngun when they aren't facing you. You can see just as much about you in a rear facing as a forward facing.

I wish more buggies were multiway, and I REALLY wish that they would make some twins/tandems rearfacing!

That's exactly my problem at the moment. I almost never use a single buggy it's always the double. I usually use my tandem buggy for muddy walks across fields and such so I need a buggy with big wheels, and it has to be a double one 'cos even the good walkers can flag a bit.
The one I have now is great but forward facing. So am I setting my mindees up for future psychological problems ?:panic:

miffy
21-11-2008, 09:43 PM
I had a me facing buggy for mine and agree it's best for babies but like someone said older toddlers like to face forwards and see what's going on around them.

Best solution - buggy that faces either way - I'm using a mamas ad papas atm that belongs to a parent. Only problem is the handle's a bit low for me and I'm not that tall.

Miffy xx

jellytot
21-11-2008, 09:44 PM
i think the rear facing or multi position are expensive, if anyone can prove me wrong i would be very grateful as i would like to get one but without spending alot of money.

Blaze
21-11-2008, 09:56 PM
TBH I think this is like most things common sense has to be applied. ...the reason I got a bee in my bonnet about eldest dd facing me was because when I was pregnant someone said they knew someone who had a cigarette flicked from a car into the babies pram...it faced away & the matteress went up in flames & the baby got burned...it wouldn't have happened had it been a forward facing pram....

Eldest dd wasn't fussed which way she faced (maybe because I'd yak to her regardless:blush: )....ds hated facing me & used to hand over the side as a toddler...time will tell with dd 2!:D I have used the same pram/toddler seated pram with all three...it faces both ways...but I had it facing me...except for ds when he was a toddler as he was MUCH happier forward facing...

I think there definately should be more choice though at lower prices!

Just thought...some children actually get travel sick going backwards, so would need a forward facing pram...

emmadines
21-11-2008, 09:59 PM
when my two were small I mean like couple of weeks old to a couple of months old mine were facing me as I either had a carry tot of a pram.
after that that they were in a forward facing buggy we had our conversations (?) "oh thats a dog" or "oh whats that??" etc etc.

i think its all doawn to personal preference to be truthfull!

Donkey
21-11-2008, 10:03 PM
I have put foot down in our house for this very reason.
i don't like the fact that dd faced away from me when she was in the graco pram.

I got a quinny solely because its rear facing. I can see whats shes doing more ;)

balloon
22-11-2008, 11:21 AM
I had face-to-mum single pushchairs for both my youngest but their double was forward facing (and they were in that far more - 14 months apart) both of them had superb language skills at a very early age possibly becaie I talked to them a lot at home, as well as when we were out and about. I also never went in for baby talk personally thining it's kind of pointless to teach baby that a dog is a 'woof woof' and then having to re-teach that it's a dog (but that's personal choice)

Not sure who it was that said in a few years they will say rear facing buggies wil cause something or other but they're probably right. So called experts contradict each other regularly so why should this be different, lol.

I loved being able to see mine and I think we developed a good bond but I am not going to beat myself up cos mindees can se where they are going - after all surely they are learning about the world that way? (EYFS KUW, lol!)

flora
22-11-2008, 11:50 AM
I think it fairly obvious that mum facing prams/ pushchairs are better for interacting with your lo.

Not sure that I agree that a child will be scarred for life if you don't use one though. Think it could make a diff short term though??

I have only ever used multi way facing ones.

When I nannied we had a silver cross pushchair that faced both ways and a maclaren thing that did too.

For ds I got a m and p one that you just fitted the seat/ pram either way and dd had her silver cross carraige built so no probs there.

I just like being able to make eye contact and yaj away at them.

Now dd is 2.5 I don't think she cares as she can interact with me however she is and she can make her wishes known more.

Just my humble opinion for what it's worth :D