PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else struggling to fill their vacancies?

angiebubs
21-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi all,

I live in Liverpool and am having a really difficult time filling my 2 full t:censored: ime vacancies. I have advertised in shop windows, on my car, put business cards through doors, advertised in schools, I'm part of a network and registered with the childrens information service.

I'm at my wits end as I'm now beginning to struggle financially and trying to get the substainability grant is a nightmare.

Does anyone have any useful tips or advice please.

Many thanks.

Angie

melanieabigail2004
21-11-2008, 09:19 AM
I've had 4 months of vacancies and advertised everywhere. Adverts on the internet is where I have got my mindees from. Netmums and gumtree.co.uk and yell.com. I've had no enquiries from all the ones I physically put in shops and mailouts at the local nursery.

Good luck

Mel

fionamal
21-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Its quiet up here aswell. Im now left with one parttime mindee and theres just no calls at all.

Ive advertised everywhere only got a leaflet drop to try but think I'll wait until after the Newyear for that.

yummymummy
21-11-2008, 10:06 AM
It's been a nightmare in my area to fill vacancies for the last 4/5 years. I always fill them in the end though, so don't get too disheartened or give up. It depends on how long you can afford to wait though? :)

Spangles
21-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Good luck filling your vacancies.

I'm as full as I want to be with one full-timer but if I wanted more it would be hard as I've had no enquiries for yonks!

I found a leaflet drop was fantastic when I first started out, had loads of enquiries and people seem to hang onto them for ages as well for their own info and to pass to their friends so I would definitely recommend doing one.

Also, just thought, if you are in a position to babysit in the short term could be a good idea to advertise this service from now til after Christmas as well to get yourself known. A lot of people will be going to parties, etc.

x

ChocolateChip
21-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Are there any large employers near you, factories, supermarkets, etc that would put up posters or keep some flyers in the staff room for you?
Also, along the lines of Spangles babysitting idea, how about advertising so parents can go Christmas shopping child free.
Hope this helps, good luck!

marion123
21-11-2008, 11:41 AM
have you got a free local paper as we have and ive seen other childminders advertising in that :)

angiebubs
21-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. It's great to have some support.
:littleangel:

loocyloo
21-11-2008, 01:49 PM
i think thats an excellent idea to offer a 'shoppers creche' !!!

i know a couple of minders who advertise at local gyms & pools, offering to have a child whilst parents work out or swim. another advertises at hairdressers ... along the lines 'want your hair cut in peace?'

whilst they are not permenant children, it gets your name and setting known about.

goodluck.

xxx

jaz
21-11-2008, 02:09 PM
I am struggling, and have just gone and posted on Netmums for the first time - wish me luck!!

J
x

Ripeberry
21-11-2008, 04:12 PM
How would a shopper's creche work anyway? Is it for 2hours or less? Do all of these children need contracts? Would the leisure center itself not be a bit miffed that business was being taken away from its own creche?
Just can't see how it would work.
But evening babysitting would be a good way to get money :)

Chatterbox Childcare
21-11-2008, 04:21 PM
We had a busy 2 months when the children returned to school but it is quiet again

Try a leaflet drop - they always turn up something

Keep at it

nell57
21-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm doing ok, though my books are not completely full. But have noticed I haven't had any enquiries for a few months now.

Good luck in filling your places soon

Heaven Scent
21-11-2008, 05:21 PM
As you may know I was given notice by 2 families last week 2 full-timers and 2 sisters 4 days per week 1 before and after school and the other 3 part days and 1 full day. Its a lot of money to lose all at once so I'm panicing and have just advertised on netmums and yell.com as well as updating my info on FIS. I'm sending my 2 out on a business card drop and have ordered more cards from Vista print also ordered some cards from FIS to drop next week-end. Will produce some sort of Adverts for supermarkets and factories etc to put up in Staff rooms and perhaps to put in shops. I will also ask to put something up in the local hospital in the health visitor clinic. Asked someone to put a card up in the leisure centre for me. I called the Childrens Centre to see if I could put something up there and No they won't let me - I don't understand that one except that I feel the government are trying to push us out of business especially now with them offering nursery places to 2 year olds - they don't do anything to help do they???

watgem
21-11-2008, 05:48 PM
We aren't allowed to advertise in our childrens centre either, the reason given that they don't want to appear to favour one kind of childcare over another, however we did find some nursery promos distributed amongst their other leaflets so we asked if we could include ours so they removed them! I think everywhere is quiet. Only one childminder in our group is full so we decided to open up one of our drop-in days to the public, we laid on healthy snacks for the children and activities and toys. On the day it absolutely chucked it down and was blowing a gale so we thought no one would come but 4 mums braved the elements and we were able to give them info on all our vacancies, t&cs and on the eyfs and what we could offer etc:) Still waiting to hear anything but hopefully its raised awareness, hope that helpsx:)

RedDragon
21-11-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm very full at the moment but come July I will have 5 leaving! :eek:

I do have lots of enquires and a lot of them (I would say 50%) come from Netmums.

Make flyers and leave them in: Libraries, school notice board, scout huts, hairdressers, cafes, charity shops, butchers, bakers, candlestick makers.

It can be very worrying - Last year I spent many sleepless nights wondering if I would be able to pay my mortgage-at 1 point it was actually affecting my health.

Will the WFTC people help if your money is really low?

MicheH
21-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Now i'm really worried, I've had no enquiries since advertising on childcare link. I am on Netmums notice board and have an advertising magnet on my car. Nothing, no enquiries. So upset about it.

Michelle M
21-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Our enquiries are mainly word of mouth, luckily I am full at the moment with 4 under 3 and then after schoolers on one day. Its starting to pick up in our local area, but it has been slow.

Good luck filling your vacancies, I have my fingers crossed :)

Good idea abot the local paper and keep on to your network co-ordinator :)

bubbly
21-11-2008, 09:19 PM
I've been minding for a year and haven't managed to fill all my places yet :(

juliesfabfour
21-11-2008, 09:34 PM
I am full and will have 4 under 5's in the new year. I find Netmums a brilliant way to advertise especially if you have a website, it's always worked for me and I get frequent enquiries. Also my website is linked on the ************* website. Most parents who enquire about places tell me they have seen my website so I know it works!

I have also placed flyers in local post offices, libraries and the children's centre in the past but had no enquiries from those.

Good luck in filling your vacancies - advertise everywhere :)

Julie xx

abba1772
21-11-2008, 10:39 PM
post in gumtree as well as i found a full timer that way and net mums too as i get babysitting from that as well

great sources of advertising

balloon
22-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm having to turn people away now so very busy down here...

I have advertised everywhere from shop windows, to dentists waiting rooms, baby clinic, library etc. Word of mouth is good, try going to your toddler group perhaps?

Sorry but I think that's probably all been already said so I'm not much help. Hope you get somebody soon.