PDA

View Full Version : Hand washing - what age do you start?

venus89
20-11-2008, 07:34 AM
I had a phone call from the inspector last night - not quite sure when she's coming as I couldn't do the day she wanted me to but the next couple of weeks, she reckons. :eek:

So like most of you before me I am now thinking hard about what I OUGHT to be doing as opposed to the reality :blush:

So - question number one (I couldn't sleep for thinking about it then when I did sleep then I woke up and forgot them all!): at what age would you get your children to wash their hands before meals/snacks etc? Do you do it from babyhood or plus 2 years or somewhere in between?

angeldelight
20-11-2008, 07:37 AM
I start when they are about 5mths on

I start by washing their hands and explaning what im doing so then they just get into the habit

We do it with our grandson and he puts his hands out now when hes had food for us to wash his hands - he is 6mths

I think it should be a natural every day thing to do with the kids - if you start to do it for them they soon get the hang of things and start to understand. If they are older then of course encourage them to do it themselves

Good luck with your inspection

Angel xx

sarah707
20-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Same as Angel.

Good luck! :D

Mollymop
20-11-2008, 07:54 AM
I use wipes for the very young children - under, say, 2 years and those above we use the sink as usual.
Ofsted were happy with me using wipes before my 16 month old mindee ate

good luck xxxx

angeldelight
20-11-2008, 07:55 AM
I use wipes for the very young children - under, say, 2 years and those above we use the sink as usual.
Ofsted were happy with me using wipes before my 16 month old mindee ate

good luck xxxx

Yes I do the same regarding the wipes

Blaze
20-11-2008, 07:56 AM
As above!:)

venus89
20-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Oh I use wipes, I was just wondering if that was OK or whether they'd expect me to use soap and water.....

Thank you all x

Dragonfly
20-11-2008, 08:03 AM
wipes for young ones , soap and water as soon as they are able to do it with help:)

miffy
20-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Good luck with your inspection

Miffy xx

venus89
20-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Thank you x

Do you have a policy about handwashing, or anything written down to that effect?

sue m
20-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I use gel, my mindees love rubbing it in. The inspector was happy with that.

Good luck.

Michelle M
20-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I have gel, and I use wipes and of course soap and water when old enough, I was asked on my inspection about drying their hands, I said we use kitchen roll, the inspector was happy with this.

Good luck with your inspection :)

ChocolateChip
20-11-2008, 01:27 PM
I do the same, wipes for little ones, then soap and water when they can stand at the basin on the step.
For drying I bought a load of cheap flannels and use them one per child per day. If they are here all day they keep it in their own separate washbag (well, lunchbag really, but it does the same job!) and the older after schoolies pick their own colour and put it on the rail, then at the end of the day they all go in the wash.

Michelle M
20-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I do the same, wipes for little ones, then soap and water when they can stand at the basin on the step.
For drying I bought a load of cheap flannels and use them one per child per day. If they are here all day they keep it in their own separate washbag (well, lunchbag really, but it does the same job!) and the older after schoolies pick their own colour and put it on the rail, then at the end of the day they all go in the wash.

I know a childminder that does that, but hers are not in washbags, they are on seperate pegs and Ofsted told her that the flannels were touching and his is a health and safety issue!! she was gobsmacked

venus89
20-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Madness, isn't it? They're allowed to play ring a roses holding hands but their handtowels can't touch.....

gemhei
20-11-2008, 06:30 PM
I ensure mindee and DD wash hands before meals, after playing outside etc and they are 13mths and 18mths i would recommend from 6 mths or when crawling as their hands can get a bit grubby. :)

emmadines
20-11-2008, 10:48 PM
i suppose you could start as soon as you think they will understand? just one thing and im sure you are awear, they ask the minded children all sorts about the setting eg do they practice fire drill etc...

Chimps Childminding
21-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I know a childminder that does that, but hers are not in washbags, they are on seperate pegs and Ofsted told her that the flannels were touching and his is a health and safety issue!! she was gobsmacked

Mine are on seperate hooks with each child's picture above it so they know which is theirs, so I guess I will have to move the hooks further apart!!:angry: