PDA

View Full Version : Sickness

gemhei
19-11-2008, 08:14 PM
If you dont remember i recently had a mindee off with chicken pox. She was off just over a week and came back to me last tuesday so about a week ago. Today she turned up and mum said 'oh shes fine just a bit snotty' I just said oh dear shell be fine and mum left. When we got back from school mindee was screaming and her eyes looked red raw, nose running etc. She was tired so i out her for a sleep.

When she woke up she had 2 runny nappies. I thought about calling mum but then thought id wait seeing as shed had a lot of time off before with chicken pox. After lunch and another 2 runny nappies she was sick everywhere, i called mum. She was fine with this and said she was glad i called if she needed her. She came to collect but i forgot to tell her about 48 rule. I called home and dad answered, i explained to him that she needed to stay off for 48 hours from the last times shes sick. He didnt sound happy and said oh well we will have to have a chat about this. I explained its same for other mindees and for me when im sick and he just said ok well ill ring you back and put phone down. He hasnt called back yet.

I felt really guilty when i got off the phone as i know they have had a lot of time off with her this month, but i dont want my family catching all this after everything weve been through over the last 2 weeks! I dont know whats going to happen, if hes going to be really mad or even say they are not bringing her anymore! I have really bonded with her and would miss her a lot, but now DP cant work for at least 8 weeks i will miss the money too. I didnt know at first if it was worth backing down and saying 24 hours but i dont want to put me and my family at risk.

beerheaven
19-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Stick to your guns!! The 48 hour rule is there to protect the other mindees and your own family.
Be strong girl!!

Michelle M
19-11-2008, 10:03 PM
There is a sickness bug going round its airborne, another rminder told me it had wiped out 13 of their daycare children! And one school is on the verge of being classed as an epidemic, I hope I dont catch it :panic:

Kelly
19-11-2008, 10:07 PM
I agree, stick to the rules, you put them in place to protect yourself and your LO's. I would Just be appologetic and say I realise that it is inconvenient, they proably will be angry :angry: but you cannot be expected to look after a LO that is ill.

Good luck I hope your parents are understanding

son77
19-11-2008, 10:08 PM
I too say stand your ground.

Remember this is the same for nurseries & schools too.

See if you can google something to print off & give to them to show there is a reason for the 48 hour rule.

Hope everything sorts itself out.

Bushpig
19-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Rules are there for a reason... he is being unreasonable if he expects you to be okay with knowingly allowing a virus/illness into your home.

I had a lil boy arrive last week, who, according to his mum, had vomited a couple of days before... he is a part-timer. We worked out there was 5 hours left of the 48 exclusion time, I told her this, she understood, left, and brought him back after lunch. Parents HAVE to understand. I had to set a precedent.

Try not to be over anxious ((hug))

gegele
19-11-2008, 10:36 PM
your family and other mindee are the priority. if YOU get sick they'll have no childminder for an extra 2days!!

for once that a policy is useful use it: he must have read your sick child policy. if not it's his problem. it's not as if you're making it up to annoy him.

good luck.

angeldelight
20-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Some parents have a way of making us feel guilty or making us feel like its our fault

You stick to your rule you are right and you dont all want to be ill do you

Angel xx

mandy moo
20-11-2008, 01:20 PM
My 7 year old was off school monday coz he was sick on saturday night at 8.30, rang the parents at 850pm to let them know he would be off school monday.
Rang both sets of parents sunday tea time to say he was fine hadnt been sick again, but would still be off school monday, Both sets asked if I would still have their children monday?:(
One dad said he didnt want to take any more time off work??
They both arrived monday morning..
I wouldnt have sent mine, would anyone else?
or is it just me?
Mandy

bubbly
20-11-2008, 01:34 PM
DON'T feel guilty.

I caught what sounds like exactly the same nasty bug from one of my mindees the day before I was due to go on holiday at half-term. My holiday was COMPLETELY ruined as I spent 3 days with 'it' coming out both ends (sorry to be so crude), then my son caught it and my 68 year old mother. We couldn't leave our holiday cottage for 5 days and our hard-earned money paying for it was wasted.

DON'T be bullied into taking this mindee back early - if you catch it you won't be earning any money. Stand firm.

gemhei
20-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Yes they have read and signed my sickness policy. Today my DP had 'it' coming out of both ends too lol, not what he needs after surgery on his lung. My DS also came home from school today and ran straight to loo so looks like hes got it too. I called mindees mum just to check she was ok and she said oh she was fine from moment i brought her home (trying to make me sound bad i think) She asked if she could bring her in tomorrow afternoon as its been 48hrs then, i said id rather she didnt with DS and DP being so ill as its only a matter of time before DD gets it and they play together so might be best to leave until monday. I advised DS wouldnt be in school tomorrow because of 48hr rule. She just said fair enough call me if its safe for her to come back monday (with attitude lol) So at least shes bringing her back :)

Cazz
20-11-2008, 10:09 PM
My 7 year old was off school monday coz he was sick on saturday night at 8.30, rang the parents at 850pm to let them know he would be off school monday.
Rang both sets of parents sunday tea time to say he was fine hadnt been sick again, but would still be off school monday, Both sets asked if I would still have their children monday?:(
One dad said he didnt want to take any more time off work??
They both arrived monday morning..
I wouldnt have sent mine, would anyone else?
or is it just me?
Mandy

No, I wouldn't have sent mine either! And well done you for keeping your son off school on the Monday and sticking to the rules. If everyone done that it wouldn't spread nearly as much.

I'm really wound up about this subject at the moment - I'm the treasurer of the Friends of our Junior School and we held a Disco on Friday evening. About half an hour in, a year 4 girl said she felt sick (usually heat and excitement) so she was sat down in a quiet place with a bowl. A friend was seeing to her and the little girl said she was sick during the night, she asked if it was once and the little girl said no, THREE times! :eek: The friend said "have you been to school today?" and she replied "Yes"!! Poor little mite probably felt really drained and poorly anyway and she was sent to school and then to a disco in the evening! What an inconsiderate mother - who incidentally DOESN'T WORK!

I was really wound up about it and my friend's little girl (who is in the same class as this child) came down with it really badly on Sunday. Her sister is my dd's best friend so we feel like we're waiting on a time-bomb at the moment. It was mentioned to the headteacher at the disco and she just pulled a face and shrugged :angry: I'm going to see her and ask for a note to be put on the weekly newsletter about the 48 hour exclusion! Not that some parents will still take any notice!

Anyway, fingers crossed that we don't come down with it and hope the rest of you are okay too (why are these tummy bugs always doing the rounds just before Christmas?)

Carole x