PDA

View Full Version : Recording meal temperatures

Minnie mouse
19-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi, im a little confused in regards to recording food temperatures along with the fridge thermometer chart. For example bangers and mash - do you record the temperature of the bangers when they come out the oven or the serving temperature? obviously you can only record one part of the meal and not every item on the plate? so confused :rolleyes:
Thanks for reading :)

Minstrel
19-11-2008, 04:57 PM
ecord as soon as they come out over. Its to show they have reached a certain temp to prove they have been properly cooked.
Could you not make your own chart if you want to record all items?

Minnie mouse
19-11-2008, 05:03 PM
thankyou, i dont want to record the temperature of every food item i just wondered what everyone else does? if just recording the temperature of the meat is good enough for ofsted and environmental health?

Minstrel
19-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Or you could measure all the items and just put the lowest temp in with something along the lines of.... 'all items reached a min temp of.....'

sarah707
19-11-2008, 05:28 PM
It's not for Ofsted - though it's good practice and they will be happy you are doing it.

It's for Environmental Health to prove what you are feeding children is properly cooked.

You need to record the core temp (middle of food) of the risky stuff on the plate - the meat usually.

My EHO advises you keep the records for a full calendar year.

hth :D

Minnie mouse
19-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Thank you everyone. Can anyone remember what the temp should be? is it 71?

Minstrel
19-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Believe its 72 but i would do 75 just to be 100% sure.

Minnie mouse
19-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Lol i normally do about 80 just to be really sure :laughing:

sarah707
19-11-2008, 05:41 PM
It's 75c :D

Minstrel
19-11-2008, 05:42 PM
In my house dinner is ready when the smoke alarm goes off!. Should be pretty hot by then lol

Minnie mouse
19-11-2008, 05:42 PM
thanks again x

Rasharoon
19-11-2008, 07:47 PM
OMG - do we really have to record the temperature of the food we cook?

sarah707
19-11-2008, 08:02 PM
OMG - do we really have to record the temperature of the food we cook?

Are you registered with your local food hygiene people?

You can get a copy of safer food better business online here -

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/

Hth :D

Rasharoon
19-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi Sarah

Yes I am and went on a Food Hygiene Course only a few weeks ago and although we spoke about food temperature, nothing was mentioned that you have to record it.

Thanks for your help.

FizzysFriends
19-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Can I ask where you got your food probe from?

Rasharoon
19-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Can I ask where you got your food probe from?

I'd be interested in this too.

Minnie mouse
19-11-2008, 08:35 PM
i got mine from ebay :) it was £5 or £6 with p&p

sammy
19-11-2008, 08:57 PM
As if we havnt got enough to do!! i certainly wont be testing their food, ive never had a problem, and as long as theres steam coming out of it when i cut it in half, then to me its cooked, what is this world coming too, sorry and no offense, but all this recording of stuff can be so over the top. Soon we will have to record how many times we go and have a wee!!

sarah707
19-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Soon we will have to record how many times we go and have a wee!!

:eek: Didn't you read the bit in the statutory requirements where it said we have to do this?? :panic:

teehee! :laughing:

funtoplay
19-11-2008, 09:14 PM
One reason why I don't provide meals!!!!

Julia

sammy
19-11-2008, 09:15 PM
haha, well i did see a statement from ofsted saying it was ok to use the toilet whilst minding as long as the children were left in a safe place, as holding in urine can lead to bladder problems (i think someone was told they couldnt wee when minding!!) although they thought we should keep wees to a minimum!!

sarah707
19-11-2008, 09:33 PM
haha, well i did see a statement from ofsted saying it was ok to use the toilet whilst minding as long as the children were left in a safe place, as holding in urine can lead to bladder problems (i think someone was told they couldnt wee when minding!!) although they thought we should keep wees to a minimum!!

Very good! :laughing:

Michelle M
19-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Can someone please clarify for me

If I cook hot meals then I have to be registered with food hygiene people?

If I am not registered do I have to record the food temperature?

Sorr if I am being a bit thick :)

sarah707
19-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Can someone please clarify for me

If I cook hot meals then I have to be registered with food hygiene people?

If I am not registered do I have to record the food temperature?

Sorr if I am being a bit thick :)

You are legally obliged to register with food hygiene.

You should be using Safer Food Better Business...

With that pack you must use a probe and monitor cooked food temps / fridge freezer temps etc.

Here is info from the Ncma -

http://www.*************/MainWebSite/ContentPage9df2c089.aspx?Map=351A6CBAD323A53A39766 E0F664A166D

Minnie mouse
20-11-2008, 02:39 PM
I only record it because it is a statuory requirement, i certainly dont enjoy it :laughing:

ChocolateChip
20-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Don't mean to hijack your thread Derbyminder, but did you all have to fill in a huge questionnaire to register or just a form? It seems to vary around here which form you get.

Minnie mouse
20-11-2008, 03:17 PM
I have just downloaded a form off the council website which i need to send off to register, dont think theres much to it, its just an A4 piece of paper :)

abba1772
20-11-2008, 03:59 PM
is this with environmental health we have to register with to be a food business? sorry if i sound thick lol

i phoned mine yesterday to register as a food business and was told that if the parents provide the food then i don't have to register with them.

think every council is different though

LOOPYLISA
20-11-2008, 04:14 PM
One reason why I don't provide meals!!!!

Julia

You and me both !:D

loocyloo
20-11-2008, 05:31 PM
i'm registered as a 'food premises' ... my EHO came round, spent 15 mins talking, asked how i check temp of food ... i said my sight/touch ... and that if re-heating i cook till boiling etc! that was fine. she said that for them, i don't need to record any temps of anything!

the inspector i had was impressed i kept fridge/freezer temps, but never mentioned keeping food temps!

on my food safety course, the guy running that said you didn't have to keep food temps!!!

arghh!

xxx

tinyhands
21-11-2008, 01:17 AM
HI EVERYONE, I KNOW FOOD TEMP SHOULD BE 75C!!!! HOW DO U MEASURE THE TEMP, I GOT A FRIDGE THINGY, BUT NOT ONE FOR FOODS SHOULD I HAVE GOT SOMETHING FROM THE FOOD HYGIENE GROUP?????:rolleyes:
SHERON AKA TINYHANDS

Minnie mouse
21-11-2008, 04:53 PM
HI EVERYONE, I KNOW FOOD TEMP SHOULD BE 75C!!!! HOW DO U MEASURE THE TEMP, I GOT A FRIDGE THINGY, BUT NOT ONE FOR FOODS SHOULD I HAVE GOT SOMETHING FROM THE FOOD HYGIENE GROUP?????:rolleyes:
SHERON AKA TINYHANDS

Hi you need a food probe, i got one from ebay. you record the temperature of the food once its came out oven :)

louised
21-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I think it's all getting ridiculous, I don't record the temperature of food nor the temperature of my fridge. I have two children of my own who are 16 and 11 and they have never had food poisoning in their life. If it came down to having to record all of this I would stop supplying food and ask parents to send a packed lunch

Sarahbelle
22-11-2008, 09:13 AM
I think it's all getting ridiculous, I don't record the temperature of food nor the temperature of my fridge. I have two children of my own who are 16 and 11 and they have never had food poisoning in their life. If it came down to having to record all of this I would stop supplying food and ask parents to send a packed lunch

Same here! This is exactly what I have done. Parents provide their own food for all meals. I just don't need the extra paperwork!:eek:

sarah707
22-11-2008, 10:20 AM

If parents bring a packed lunch you still need to record your fridge temperature.

The Eyfs also states that you need to provide paernts with information about suitable healthy eating contents.

It's so you can prove, if a child gets ill, that you have maintained a safe environment for the food.

Please remember that, ok it's extra paperwork but not much more to do while you are doing your morning safety checks...

And that everything you are asked to do by Food Hygiene is for the benefit and health of the child :D

FizzysFriends
22-11-2008, 01:56 PM
We still have to register even if we aren't actually providing the food, they told me if I gave mindees a glass of water I need to be registered.