PDA

View Full Version : ideas for emotions activities

manda
19-11-2008, 04:36 PM
hi there
I have some mindee's with some sad family problems at the moment, and I have sought some outside professional help. She suggests helping children to try to understand how they are feeling and why, and if we as a close unit can help each other, and understand the effect emotions and behaviour have on all of us. I have downloaded some emotion pictures pictures from sparklebox and I am going to have a magnet board for each of us including me to show how we feel and chat about it each day just simply with the child's name and this is how I feel today, letting them stick the emotion picture on. If anyone else has any ideas I would be very grateful. I have decided to set it up as part of my planning to involve all the children. I look after under1's through to 11's so any help gratefully received
thanks mandy

sarah707
19-11-2008, 05:34 PM
An emotions board is an excellent idea.

you could get the children to make some puppets as well - wooden spoons, wool for hair, button nose etc and different emotions faces.

I have some emotions stamps that came from Poundland - they are good for making pictures and saying how you feel but you could just as easily get the children to pull their best happy, sad, frowning faces and take photos.

Any books with mirrors in would be good as well.

Lucky children to have you to support them.

Annie_T
19-11-2008, 06:28 PM
i have emotion faces but i cant think where i got them from (on net) but i just googled face emotions printables for you and came up with this lot ...
Enjoy looking throught it hun and using what you need/want

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=face+emotions+printables+&meta=

i also googled emotion printables -

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=emotions+printables&meta=

haribo
19-11-2008, 06:37 PM
ive found this interesting as i mind a childwho has recently suffered a bereavment,as most of you know. i think these resources will be good to help her express her feelings as she is still very young x

manda
19-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Big thanks for these ideas guys, lots to look through thank you. A very hard subject to get to grips with when the children involved really don't want to talk about it.

Haribo look at a website called winstonswish.org.uk
and also there is a lovely story book called water bugs and dragonflies which is a story for younger children. I got my info from the Macmillan team who were amazing, but winstons wish is for any bereavement and they produce a book called "A child's grief" and yes it is sad, but definitely worth reading, especially for the activity ideas.

My local Macmillan people are also keen to help with childminding networks to let them access their resources and do talks and workshops , it may be worth mentioning it to your network co ordinator, to get in touch with them. A very sad subject and hopefully never needed but its so reassuring to have the professional help they offer