PDA

View Full Version : Childminding and Fostering?

Princess Sara
19-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to child-mind and foster care at the same time. I have two children of my own, am looking to child-mind a pre-school child and have space in my home for a foster child of primary school age or lower. Is this possible or should I be choosing one or the other?

PaulaR
19-11-2008, 03:09 PM
i know two people who do both, so it is possible. I can't give you any more than that though as they are not really freinds as such

tashaleee
19-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi it is possible, but not straight forward - I have looked into it myself and it depends if you want to foster for a local authority or private agency, the amount of hours you want to childmind, your home situation (ie if you have a partner), the age of your own children (and probably a million other things lol).

If you want to PM me feel free and I will do my best to help :)

Andrea08
19-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I did both but i fostered teenagers,

it is very hard work and ill be honest i prefure ofsted visiting me than the SS lol

but i did love it and when my oldest child moves on ill go back into fostering as ill have a spare room and keep up with childminding too,(if im not too old and grey)

have a good look into it and it do does take time to register before you are given a placement and lots of training and HOUSE RULES!!

good luck x

jellytot
19-11-2008, 05:12 PM
i think it also depends where you live, as i border on 2 councils, when i applied 1 point blank said no as i was a minder, the other never said no but made it clear they didnt like it and we were going to have a fight on our hands to show we would be able to cope,

Princess Sara
19-11-2008, 07:16 PM
I think as both are going to take alot of time and training (and I have not worked in childcare before) I think I will start off with childminding and go from there. DF is not keen on fostering I don't think so it might not even come to light.

thanks for the help though.

angeldelight
19-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Good luck with the childminding

Angel xx