PDA

View Full Version : stair gate

Kerri
19-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi,

I am due my graded inspection any day now and just have a question about stair gates. I have a narrow staircase and the stair gates that I had with my own two children are too big to fit. Up until now I have used a portable stair gate that I fix downstairs in the morning before I start childminding. When and if we go upstairs (which is rare) I have to remove the stair gate from downstairs and attach it upstairs once the children have climbed upstairs. I am happy with using the portable stair gate but will the Ofsted inspector be happy with this arrangment??? Or will he/she think that this is unsuitable?? I only look after one child for one day a week at the moment. I look after my niece another day. I am a bit reluctant to fit permanent stair gates as I am childminding for for a short time during the week.

Any help would be appreciated!

Pauline
19-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi Kerri

You don't have to have stair gates, but what you need to do is show Ofstsed how you will keep the children safe and off the stairs, so your idea sounds fine. You could include what you plan to do in your Risk Assessment :)

(I will move this to minding chat for you as you will get more replies there - this section is for problems with the forum):)

Donkey
19-11-2008, 03:33 PM
on pre reg the inspector told me I didnt need gates.

seeing as my 13month old dd can climb stairs we have them top & bottom!!

roseybev
19-11-2008, 08:25 PM
ive being doing this for 19 years now and never had gates i find there are a magnet for kids and they want to pull at them and then the wall comes with them .i teach the kids how to use the stairs when they come to that stage .my upstairs is not used by mindee so they dont get to go up unless with me.

angeldelight
19-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Good advice from everyone

Just wanted to say good luck with your inspection let us know how it goes

Angel xx

Raggydolls
20-11-2008, 10:59 AM
i have really narrow doorways and i have a babydan gate, this is the link for the wooden one but i have the metal one, mine comes off the fittings at the weekend as its on a main doorway its so easy to pop off and back on again

http://www.johnlewis.com/230397571/Product.aspx

leanne
xx

Kerri
20-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Thank you all for your advice.

I got a phone call yesterday - the inspector is coming on monday!!! I think that gives me enough time to have a nervous breakdown!!!

Kerri xx

marion123
21-11-2008, 08:30 PM
good luck for monday you'll be fine :)

balloon
22-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Good luck for Monday. :)