PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to fill vacancy please.

julie j
18-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi, I'm new to childminding and was wondering if anyone else struggled to get children!!
I am presently looking after my grandaughter 3 days a week and I was to look after another little boy full time but mum changed her mind and hasn't gone back to work,leaving me looking for another child,it has been 6 weeks and no enquires, any ideas?
thanks, Julie

Pauline
18-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi, I will just move this to Minding Chat as you will get more replies there (this area is for general information for members) :)

Good luck :)

julie j
18-11-2008, 06:19 PM
oops! thanks Pauline.

Twinkles
18-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Depends how far along the registration process you are really.

Toddler groups etc. Other minders. Once you are registered you can put your details on the cis website.

balloon
18-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Most of my work has come from the FIS website, but I also advertised locally in shops, baby clinic etc. Toddler groups are a good place to pick up people who want minders in the future too so pop along to one of those if nearby. Also I tell everybody I talk to that I'm a childminder, it's surprising how many people want a minder or know somebody who does...

sue m
18-11-2008, 07:15 PM
My Childminder Support and Development Officer has rung me a few times to ask if I have any vacancies. Do you have one? If so let her know you have vacancies if you are fully registered.

julie j
18-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone,

I am fully registered and will go to the local toddler group with my granddaughter and will take all your ideas .
I guess i'm just panicking that I won't get anyone.
Julie

don the duck
18-11-2008, 08:29 PM
I have a poster in my hall window as i live in an estate and a few people pass it. worth a try and its free - people also get to see your house.

also have u contacted local schools to see if they have any others or could reccommend u.

tulip0803
18-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I have just set up again after moving and I asked to put a card in the Post Office/Shop and the owner has passed my number on to 2 people over the weekend :D after she had been talking to them.

Speak to the local playgroup, go to toddler groups. Make sure that you information is up to date on your local children's information website. Speak to other childminders my 1st new one here was referred by another childminder. Join a local childminding group.

babushka
19-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Hiya, i stuck some flyers in telephone boxes and on bus stands that was on saturday just gone, i've already had four calls, didnt think it would work but it did. I also went out on the local high street and gave flyers to any one with children. hth

julie j
20-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks for all your brilliant ideas! I will keep you posted.
:) Julie

ChocolateChip
21-11-2008, 11:47 AM
You could also ask any large employers near you (factories, supermarkets,etc) if they would put a poster or flyers in their staff rooms.
Good luck!

angeldelight
21-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Just wanted to say good luck

Hope you fill your spaces soon

Angel xx

julie j
25-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi everyone! just to say thanks again, I took your advice and a lady rang yesterday ! now I'm nervous about her coming around as its my first time!! any tips please?
Julie:panic:

singlewiththree
25-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Congratulations I havent had anyone get that far yet. I've done myself a reminder sheet which just says things like:-

name of child

Then notes for me about
activities we do/toys
holidays - how many, cost
sickness
fees

good luck

marion123
25-11-2008, 11:47 AM
just be your self and dont worry show her all your things policies planning etc and good luck :)

shelly04
25-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi there,

You could make brochures, advertisments and put them in shops, doctors, nurseries, schools etc. You will also be on the childcare site if parents are looking.

I had been registered since Feb 08 and never got my first mindee until August. Just be patient and all of a sudden you wil be getting loads of call and end up turning away work.

Shelly
xx

julie j
28-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Hi everyone
Just to let you know I waited in all day on wednesday and lady never rang or showed up, Im a little surprised as she seemed really keen on the phone.
I am now wondering if I should have "sold" myself and services during conversation but I kept it brief as I was going to go into more detail when we met,did I do right? Im a bit downhearted about it!
Julie:(