PDA

View Full Version : Other minders in your area

Buzz Lightyear
18-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Evening all.

I was just wondering how many of you got in touch with other minders in your area pre-reg or afterwards to build up a relationship with them, for for potential referrals or word of mouth advertising?

The reason I ask, there are literally three other minders I can find in my little village and while I think it would be a good idea to "make friends" with them, the other half of me is petrified in getting in touch in case they tell me to get lost :crying:

Advice / opinions welcome :laughing:

miss mopple
18-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I did and it was one of the best things I have done :D

I emailed all the minders I could get addresses for and introduced myself and asked for their advide on the best way to advertise locally.

Several sent me lovely emails back and offered to pass my name on to people.

I was full in no time and made some very good friends :thumbsup:

Buzz Lightyear
18-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Well yes email would have been my preferred method of getting in touch but I cant seem to find their email addresses anywhere :( just telephone numbers and worry they'll tell me to get lost if I'm not a potential mindee for them. Maybe I should just call and explain but email would have definitely have been better. Might try and do some more digging but if Google cant help, I'm guessing I'm pretty much at a loss?

Ripeberry
18-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I've been thinking exactly the same. I straddle two counties. I'm in South Gloucestershire and 1 mile down the road it becomes Gloucestershire, so i'm wondering which group to "make friends " with or do both of them.
Supposed it's best to start with the CMs closest to you.
Also, i'm concerned about them telling me to "but out" as there are quite a lot of vacancies around here and i don't think they'll be very pleased if i get a mindee over them :( .
I would like to contact the CM who minded my children a couple of years ago but she is much further away now as she moved so i don't know if she could introduce me.

roseybev
18-11-2008, 05:58 PM
we have a group in our area we all get together twice a week its good the kids get used to each other and when one of us in hoilday they are someone to back you up if the parents cant get anyone also we all charge the same so that stop the back stabbing.also if there are any courses we all go on them together ,its one family .:clapping: .and as you said if one gets a call then we know who go spaces so can pass on numbers .

Kelly
18-11-2008, 06:04 PM
I couldn't do without the support and friendship I have with the other childminders in our area. Yes we are sometimes plying for the same business, but business is business, I would happily pass on a phone number. Much of our business comes from word of mouth, we all know who has a space etc.

Go on make the call, I'm sure it will be well received.

K

RedDragon
18-11-2008, 06:04 PM
There were about 14 of us on the Diploma course - we did all 5 parts so were together 16 months (1 evening a week). There wasn't 1 person on the course I disliked and it really got us all together - it may only be a quick hello in the village or passing on fun bits + bobs via email but for me it was the best part of the course. We were able to share ideas/information etc and when people phone me + I can't take on a child I am able to say with honesty who I would recommend.

Go for it - we are all in the same boat - and from the Diploma and from this website I reckon they will be a friendly bunch. :)

sue m
18-11-2008, 06:11 PM
It's wonderful to be friends with other minders, introduce yourself! I've got my lovely Mollymop 10 doors up and then I have my 'buddy' and her husband a few minutes walk away who have been really helpful and are lovely and Mollymop took me to a childminding group and I met a few more, we also went to a picnic in the park for a get together in the summer. I've really clocked with one or two on the forum too but unfortunately they are not in my area. Great to be able to email though or have a laugh on facebook with them. Surely lovely childminders wouldn't tell you to butt out or get lost????? :laughing:

Polly2
18-11-2008, 06:11 PM
I have had lots of support from other cms in my area. Have you tried your local children's information services website. Ours has some e mail addresses on.

Buzz Lightyear
18-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks to all that have replied. I've chickened out a little in that I haven't phoned them but sent a text instead. If any of them reply, I will call them but just didn't fancy the idea of calling and them putting the phone down on me as this happened when I was doing my market research. Not from my little village but from our town. Lovely hey? So I have been a little scared to say the least. I'm hoping the CM's in my area will be a lot friendly.

I suppose going to a toddler and baby group would be a good start. Thankfully, with having a little girl of my own, I wont stick out like a sore thumb too much.

I have however been surprised at the lack of people attending my course from my round about area. Everyone seems to be miles away which then makes making and keeping friends harder. Oh well, I'll get there in the end I'm sure but then there's alway this forum which in itself, has been a godsend and probably better than any 'real' person :)

manjay
18-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I live in a small village and already knew the other 2 minders before I started (One had minded my children for 8 years) so not quite the same situation. What I will say is you are never going to know unless you give it a go. We meet regularly for a coffee, go to training together and share resources. We also set our prices together and pass on each others numbers if we can not accomodate a child.

Of course it's not always like this but I would give it a go. Good luck xx

Buzz Lightyear
18-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Yes Holly, tried that. Phone numbers only though. Even googled people on there but nadda. Not to worry!

LOOPYLISA
18-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I meet no-one on my pre briefing or pre reg:(
At the pre briefing you were lucky if anyone so much as looked at you let alone spoke!
There were only 8 of us at colege-icp(should of been 18) the next week 5, i was poorly for 2 or 3 of them so not really made any close friendships with them, we live in a big town but i do know of a few cm round here so i suppose its a matter of getting to know them, not sure where i start though? :thumbsup:

Twinkles
18-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't think I'd want to do the job without the support and company of the other childminders. I see 2 - 3 most days , we go to toddlers together , go to soft play and out for walks together etc. Don't just see it as a way to advertise you will get lots of advice and support from other minders.
Is there a cm toddler group in your area ?

balloon
18-11-2008, 06:21 PM
What's the worst that can happen if you give them a call? Even if they did tell you to get lost (which is highly unlikely) its only words. BUT if they are happy and friendly etc you have everything to gain. All you can do is try. When I phoned a few around here I started with "I hope this isn't an emormous cheek, if it is please just tell me so" and then went on to explain what I wanted to talk to them about. Everybody I spoke to was super helpful.

tulip0803
18-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I did and they are great (2 in village). I had to delay registering due to local council planning and one had my DD2 while I worked. the other let me know as soon as planning department changed rules. They have helped by showing me their policies & procedures (on the condition I show them mine). They have shown me updates and their inspection reports so I could have handy hints. They have helped with fee pricing. One has introduced me to local childminding group. If they know of courses they tell me & vice-versa. We are all down as emergency back-up for each other. And I have got my first mindee in wlaes from one of them that could not fit him in:D (He's and angel too:) )

wendywu
18-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Yes we all know each other really well in our area. We are going on our childminders christmas do on the 28th Nov. We are all good friends.:)

Buzz Lightyear
18-11-2008, 06:31 PM
See now I think that is great tulip0803, I would love to be someone's back up and indeed have one for myself. I'm not planning on having lots of mindees (that's if I'm lucky to find any at all) but knowing there are there for both support and back up would be great.

There are no CM toddler groups as such (or not to my knowledge) but there are general baby and toddler groups I once went to when my little girl was born as I was feeling isolated. I just need to get my butt into gear and start going to those again I guess as I never opened my eyes to think CM's would be there. In fact, there must have been a few now I think back!

Buzz Lightyear
18-11-2008, 06:32 PM
It really would be lovely to make friends of the cm's in my little village. Especially as my current friends I see a lot of, I met through my health centre when my baby was born but of course, they'll all be returning back to work soon and so new friendships would be great. I just need to out myself of my shyness... it's never going to get me anywhere is it?! :panic:

LisaH
18-11-2008, 06:58 PM
I am friends with the other 2 minders in my area too, we set up our own minding group and help each other out with holiday cover etc. We pass on phone numbers of potential mindees too!!

Give em a call you have nothing to loose and everything to gain:)

Buzz Lightyear
18-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks LisaH, lets hope you're right!

sue m
18-11-2008, 07:10 PM
My friend Mollymop and I are each others back up minders and it was through her that I got the two lo's I have now, they saw her advert on Netmums and contacted her but she didn't have any vacancies so gave them my email address. I think. Something like that anyway! Also, my buddy rings me if she gets a call and doesn't have any vacancies. Is there anything happening in Keighley, you're not too far from there are you? (I'm from Otley) It was a good idea to text the others anyway, see what you get back. :clapping:

Buzz Lightyear
18-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Not too far from Keighley no but haven't ventured out that far yet as I am waiting to see if anyone from Silsden replies first. I guess if no-one does, I'll have a look further afield.

Ahh good to see another 'local' on here. I was beginning to think I was the only one!! :)

madasahatter
18-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi, I've pm'd you as I'm quite local though not Silsden.

Buzz Lightyear
18-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks, just replied to you. Thanks for taking the time to write :)

sue m
18-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I should have said from Otley originally, sorry!! I left when I was 28 and lived in London for over 20 years and Essex and now Cambs but I love Yorkshire and wish I'd never left. Mum is still there though. I'm sure you will get some texts back. :)

don the duck
18-11-2008, 07:53 PM
i dont know any local childminders

mum22
18-11-2008, 08:15 PM
It is hard at first, I found it hard as I am a very shy person, but it is worth it, ask around at toddler groups if they can point you in the direction of other CM's, I am sure they will be very welcoming, give it a go !:thumbsup:

gemhei
18-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi i live in bradford and on my course there was nobody from my little area :( Luckily i knew one childminder who used to mind my children so i got a bit of support from her. When i registered and i got my NCMA pack through there was a list of NCMA childminders in my area with emails and local NCMA meetings and groups. Most childminders will be glad to meet a new childminder and are quite friendly, yes some of them can be a bit grumpy and not talk to new minders but if someone got in touch with me id love to meet new friends! Best thing to do would be to either wait for your NCMA pack if you requested one or get in touch with childrens information link. Theres a good sure start centre in Keighley i think (i noticed you from silsden) and they may have regular visits from local childminders. Good luck!

Buzz Lightyear
18-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for your post gemhei. I've not sent off for my NCMA yet as we've been told to hold off sending for them until we're registered. Makes sense really as I think it's funded through BMBC and if you apply off your own back, I think you have to pay for it and it wont be refunded.

Lets hope other minders are like you then, I'd hate to be ignored as I wouldn't dream of doing it to someone else. I'm like you, like to make new friends but my downfall is, I'm a bit shy in person!

gemhei
18-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Yes of course you will need a registration number before you send it off because of your funding i remember that, it comes shortly after though as you need your insurance. Try sure start or childrens information link. Net mums often have childminders advertising too you could email some of those if you spot one in your area. Id say come for a cuppa but im all the way over in eccleshill so im a bit far haha.

Buzz Lightyear
18-11-2008, 09:40 PM
I've got myself on Netmums as I've heard a few good things about that site. You just never know do you?! Something might come of it, something might not but as it's free, it'd be silly not to get on there and advertise. Fingers crossed I get an enquiry somehow though rather than the stupid internet companies calling me up to try and take money I don't have yet! I've been inundated with silly calls like that. Just typical! I was getting really excited everytime my Minding mobile would ring but then it would just be some advertising company asking me if I wanted to sign with them. Doh... maybe the next call.... or the next one.... or the next one maybe????

I have no idea where Eccleshill is, lol. Not being from around here originally, I'm still finding my feet after five years :laughing:

gemhei
18-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Lol yer i get about 3-4 calls a day like that, some of them even come from bradford council website where i advertise :rolleyes:. Im in BD2 im originally from Bingley so i know that side of bradford a bit better. Yep keep trying i got 2 of my mindees from gumtree so free advertising paying off for me :) also got an enquiry from the local library so give that a try. Keep going!!

Buzz Lightyear
18-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Yep, am on Gumtree, in fact, I think I remember seeing some of your listings on there. It's all coming back to me now. Fingers crossed then. Shall get out and about once my flyers come back. May well need to do some at home though as I am pretty sure I had them printed for when I am registered rather than pre...

Yes, know Bingley well. Many a night out there :)

Buzz Lightyear
19-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Well...... no-one replied to my texts :( I thought at least one person might have done seen as I'd made the effort to get in touch but nope... nothing.

sue m
19-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Give it time love, when did you text them? They may be all very busy with lo's and of course this time of year everyone is busy shopping etc.

Mollymop
19-11-2008, 09:57 AM
I really hope they text you back, hun. I can't see a reason why they wouldn't. Well done for making a move xx

Rasharoon
19-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I put myself out and went and introduced myself to other childminders. I've started to make friends with 3 of them, but with some others they simply weren't interested. I live in a small village where everybody knows everybody and when I see these other minders, they just ignore me. Funnily enough, one of them has a daughter in my Son's class but there is no interaction between us. The way I see it is I've tried more than once to talk to her but I just get nothing back so I've just given up. Shame really. There are no networks or groups where I live and I believe they did try once getting together but no one was interested in carrying on. We've a new Family Centre opening tomorrow where they will be doing a childminders group on a Friday afternoon so will be interesting to see if anybody turns up.
With the Minders I do speak with, I ask them about the EYFS and they are as clueless as me as we get no help from anybody.
Hey ho though, onwards and upwards.

Buzz Lightyear
19-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Isn't it funny Rasharoon how some people can just be plain ignorant. If someone came to me asking help or just generally being friendly, there is no way I would ignore them. Yes I am shy but if someone has made the effort to talk to me, I wouldn't just ignore them.

Like sue m has said, maybe I should give it more time, I only text them last night.

Arrghh, phone rang, another advertising company after my money when I'm not officially trading yet. I have no money you can have, stop calling me! :laughing:

Buzz Lightyear
19-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks Mollymop, I hope they do too as they will probably prove to be quite useful. On the flip side, they might not as they could well see me as another competition in our area seen as there don't seem to be many of us around?

sue m
19-11-2008, 11:21 AM
It can be a long drawn out wait, don't want to wee on your matches but we all start hoping to get work really quickly and some of the girls on here have had to wait ages. I would have too if it hadn't been for Mollymop. Hope things start happening soon but don't get too upset if it takes a while, things WILL happen.

Buzz Lightyear
19-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Well that's why I am starting now. I'm not planning on being up and running until my maternity leave ends in May 2009 (see, being organised) but know it can take a long time hence getting myself out there. Just hope something happens by the time I'm due to go back or I'll have to return to work :(

sue m
19-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Blimey! Mrs. Organization LOL Good for you. :clapping: :thumbsup:

Buzz Lightyear
19-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Tee hee!!! That's me all over. Definitely the right sort of job for me is Childminding. I loooooove planning! :jump for joy:

mandy moo
19-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Gosh, I think I must be lucky we have approx 12 in our smallish village, most of us meet in the school playground every day.
I had no problems telling them I was to become a child minder in fact quite a few, sent potential families along my way, be coz with the exception of a couple they're all chock a block.
They have been a great support and funnily enough, me to them too,
as quite a few have been minding for years,and worried about the EYFS,
So I arranged an evening for those who could make it, to get together,
and we managed bettween us all to sort our selves out,
I guess I'm lucky
Mandy

Buzz Lightyear
19-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Definitely sounds that way Mandy! :cool:

DCS
19-11-2008, 08:11 PM
The part of london i reside in, none of the CM's (bar one) are intrested in making new friendships. Its always ME who takes the first step and they don't reciprocate I pass on good info (by preaching the good word of this site!), nothing engages them. :(

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
19-11-2008, 09:30 PM
I am friends with 2 childminders in my area and we actually meet up everyday and go to different toddler groups and on a Thursday we go to a cm group which is really good. I am really shy and found it really hard but I just got out there and meet them through toddler groups and I don't know what I would do without them and one of them is my back up if needed.

She is actually helping me out in a few weeks as I have to go for an MRI scan so she is going to look after one of my mindees for me.

Good luck with it all.

Love

Lorraine xx

Buzz Lightyear
19-11-2008, 10:14 PM
That's really lovely lorraine2767 that you have someone like that. It seems in my area not all CM's are so friendly (well still had nothing but as others have said, I need to give them chance). I'll be disappointed though if no-one replies as I 'thought' they might have been a little more friendly. Lets hope one of them isn't going to be assigned as my Mentor. Now that would be awquard, especially if they didn't reply :(

Just wanted to wish you well with your scan!

jeanybeany
26-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Go on give it a try. I have the other day. I have a meeting to goto and didn't fancy travelling back by myself late at night and also no idea of where I am goin and I emailed a lady on the list and asked if she fancied car sharing. I'm now picking up two other childminders(lol). Will let you know how it goes:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I also had a lady ring me to ask for advice when she was just starting up. I invited her along to toddler group and now we meet up with our mindees at each others houses once a week, share ideas and support each other, as well as going to toddlers. It's great having the support and I'm so glad we're friends.:jump for joy:

Buzz Lightyear
26-11-2008, 10:21 PM
That's lovely that you have that but still no word from the minders in my area :( I honestly thought they might have got in touch but maybe they see another minder in our little village a threat? I just dont know. There aren't many of us in our village, me included it comes to four so we're lucky I guess. Just a shame they dont seem to be as friendly as you guys on here :(

Ripeberry
27-11-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm waiting for my CRB's to come back then i'll contact my old childminder and ask her which ones she thinks i should approach as she knows most of them around here.
She did warn me ages ago when i needed some xtra childcare on a day she could not provide, that i should not use some of the ones in the nearest town to me.
Just hope they are all decent, helpfull people like everyone on here!:)

Ripeberry
27-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Actually plucked up the courage to speak to the childminder from down the road who picks a child from the pre-school. She seemed nice enough and has been doing it for over 20yrs. She told me when the other childminders meet and where, so at least i've put myself on their radar, so to speak :)