PDA

View Full Version : Gloves for nappy changing?

brighter
18-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Hello,

Ofsted will be visiting me today or tomorrow and I was wondering do I need gloves for nappy changing? Can the parents write me something so I don't need to use them for each change? I just think it is just a waste of material and will create more landfill. Do you all use them?

Many thanks,
Nadine

miss mopple
18-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Its certainly considered good practice to use them yes.

brighter
18-11-2008, 07:46 AM
May I ask where I can buy them? I assume they have to be none latex can I get them at waitrose or sainsburys? But then I guess boots should have them. Sorry I am a bit clueless.:panic:

jaz
18-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Hi

I use them for every nappy change, although a friend of mine doesnt use them at all.

I get mine from Tescos

J
x

brighter
18-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Excellent, I will send my husband out to get some! And put it on my expenses claim :)

Can't wait till my inspection is over!

sarah707
18-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Good luck!

Let us know how you get on! :D

Donkey
18-11-2008, 08:11 AM
I use vinyl ones I got them from ebay, a box of a few hundred cost the same as a packet of 10 from the super market!

balloon
18-11-2008, 08:15 AM
I use them for every nappy change.

Totally agree about the landfil etc but the gloves serve to protect both the mindees and myself from any cross infection of fluid born infections/tummy bugs/vaccination bugs etc so I consider them a necessity.

Mollymop
18-11-2008, 09:34 AM
I use gloves for soiled nappies only.

Good luck with your inspection xx

Shirlwith3
18-11-2008, 01:11 PM
I use gloves for changing nappys don't mind wet nappies but dirty ones I just have to have gloves on, just the thought of bear hands & a very dirty nappy make me cringe.
I get mind from a site called Justgloves.co.uk

Shirl

devoncm
18-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I have them but didnt really use them when i had a child in nappy, i told the inspector this and that i also wash my hands before and after with anti-bac, she was happy with this.

marian
18-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I have them but didnt really use them when i had a child in nappy, i told the inspector this and that i also wash my hands before and after with anti-bac, she was happy with this.

I am the same- I have them in my nappy box but will only use them if the child has has vaccinations as the vaccine can be excreted in the urine for up to 2 weeks afterwards.
I think there is nothing more effective in the prevention of the spread of bugs than a good hand wash!
My Ofsted inspector agreed!!!:)
Marian x

zoex
18-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Just wanted to say that i never used to use gloves for nappy changing, just washed my hands after each change and used that gel stuff but now (after having my update in first aid) i now use them as the first aider said that a friend of hers now has polio after changing her own childs nappy. dont mean to worry anyone but it made me realise how important it is to protect urself ans your other mindees. :)

Ripeberry
18-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Yes, you need to show good practice. Non-latex gloves, plastic apron, double bad the nappies in ...nappy bags not carrier bags.
We have a SN teacher at our pre-school and when she does the nappy changes she looks like she is going into theatre for an operation :laughing: , they'll have us wearing face masks next!

Ripeberry
18-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Thinking about it. Gas masks would be better:jump for joy:

roseybev
18-11-2008, 05:51 PM
it is good pratice to use them one of my parents was not happy that i did .but it does stop the spread of illness i use it for dirty nappies only but officers say you should use them all the time i gat mine from cosco .

Tatia
18-11-2008, 07:13 PM
A good way to compromise is to only wear a glove on the hand that you use to wipe with. I think they're a total pain but I do use them. I just make sure to take it off before doing up the nappy as the tabs stick to the glove!:laughing:

don the duck
18-11-2008, 07:34 PM
i got mine from screw fix. and i use then for every change. i was told that u should wear then even for ur own child. when ofsted around. anbd also double bag nappies

gemhei
18-11-2008, 08:39 PM
I got 1000 free gloves on my first aid course and i already got some in my first aid box so i use those. I dont use them all the time as i have bottles of alcohol gel all over house and use that but ill save the gloves for my ofsted inspection ;) To be honest if they need changing quickly i always forget :eek:

tashaleee
18-11-2008, 09:02 PM
must admit I couldnt change a dirty nappy without using gloves - more of the idea of the yuk factor as I have some wrigglers who are teething (idea of their nappy contents touching my hands is yuk :censored: ) :blush: