PDA

View Full Version : My poor dog :(

childmind04
17-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I have a biter(15 month child) and never let him out of my site, today we were doing jigsaws on the floor and my dog who is a very undergrown cavalier king charles (only 7lb in weight and about the size of a average puppy) came and lay beside us, the child decided he wanted a taste of him and flopped onto her and bit her, i could not get him to release his bite and the dog was screaming, she is bleeding so dh is taking her to the vet, i know he is only a baby but it is very tiring having to be so vigilant :(

And i will no doubt get the 'i know but its funny the faces he pulls' line from his mother who thinks everything this child does is great :angry:

Minstrel
17-11-2008, 03:54 PM
OMG your poor dog.:(

i would consider bringing the parent in for a chat to make sure she realises how serious it is.

hope your doggie feels better soon and isnt too scarred by the incident x

Pipsqueak
17-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Your poor dog.
I know its very hard at this age when the child who is the biter wants to use this sense but it must be nipped in the bud.
As Minstrel suggests I would be calling the parent in for a chat - immediately (tonight) and saying this is unacceptable:

I would point out
a) what if this had been another child
b) ditto above but the other child doing this to her child (she would not find it so funny then)
c) this is your dogs home and he should be treated with respect and what if your dog used his only defence possible - his teeth - again the parents would not be finding that funny in the slightest.

If the parents do find this incident funny suggest to them that you will be sending the vets bill - after all a human bite can be much worse than an animal bite and goodness knows how much the bill may be.

the parents need to be working with you to stop this - suggest a behaviour plan.

I KNOW the child is young but they also need to be taught to respect other living things including pets

ps hope the chow is ok and that he doesn't get frightened by it and children (again point this out to the mother)

FizzysFriends
17-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I agree about speaking to the parents. Im sure they would have been down on you like a ton of bricks if the dog bit back, but would it be the dogs fault as it would have only been defending itself.

CCJD
17-11-2008, 04:16 PM
OMG this is awful. The problem here though is now two fold- this child's biting is one issue - what you may now have to deal with is rebuilding your poor dogs confidence around children. The worst part is that if your dog ever reacted badly towards this child, mum will soon kick up a stink and it will not be the fault of your dog.

Polly2
17-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Thats terrible - poor doggy

Great advice from pip

Hope he is ok

singlewiththree
17-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Just wanted to say your poor dog and for the child not to let go, awful. Hope he is ok?

Donkey
17-11-2008, 05:00 PM
hows your dog???

poor thing :(

childmind04
17-11-2008, 05:10 PM
vet has glued it and given her antibiotic injection, daft *** is too soft and came running straight back into the living room and over too the kids :panic:

Mum said he is teething which is all i get, i am due to take on a baby of another mindee in Jan/Feb and if things dont improve with his mum and how she works with me i just wont ask for a variation, he is just so pampered and allowed to do what he wants and i really cant see things improving!!!

He has gone now so i can relax, would not mind if he even slept but he only has a ten minute nap so i never get chance to chill with the other kids

Pipsqueak
17-11-2008, 05:59 PM
I would document this and any future incidents including how and what the parents says (their reaction) as "evidence" should you need it.

Teething or not - the place to chew on is NOT the dog

Glad the chow is ok:thumbsup:

Twinkles
17-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Poor pooch , glad he's ok ( and so good natured ! ).

Polly2
17-11-2008, 08:33 PM
What a softy - glad he is ok. That child sounds hard work :panic:

mandy moo
18-11-2008, 10:03 AM
I too would have had a word and given her the vets bill..:blush:
I hope your dogs ok and hasnt caught anything nasty..
Mandy

louised
18-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Yes I would have given her the bill too, human mouths are disgusting places, more bacteria than a dogs, much more chance of a human bite becoming infected than a dog bite. I don't think I'd be able to forgive this child if he had done that to my dog even if he is so young, I would find it very hard to carry on minding him, especially if the biting continues. I have never heard of a child biting a dog before. Hope your dogs ok and this doesn't affect his confidence.

balloon
18-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Glad the dog was ok, poor thing.

I think the reaction of 'he's teething' is disgusting tbh, what if another child decided to teethe on him? I think I would very likely give the parent the vet's bill and see if they found it quite so amusing then.