PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear a baby?

singlewiththree
16-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I saw on the buggy list :) that some of you also have baby carriers. Do you get permission from the parent to put their baby in it? As a parent I'm not sure I would want a childminder wearing my baby, its quite a close thing. I have a ring fabric sling which I have kept from my children and would happily wear a baby but do you think parents are like me and would mind?

kindredspirits
16-11-2008, 08:25 PM
i haven't had a baby that young yet, but if i ever do i would definately use my sling - i think if a parent of a baby chooses a CM then they are looking for that closeness for their baby.

tulip0803
16-11-2008, 08:50 PM
I had one before - can't find it now. But I have never used it as the 3 monther I had was a very very big baby and everyone else has been too old. I planned to use it along with the double buggy if the children were those ages. As long as the baby is safe I am sure that the majority of parents would be fine.

Spangles
16-11-2008, 08:53 PM
That's a good question as I know a couple of my friends have said they'd never use one themselves as they would worry about if they fell over. Maybe some parents might object on that ground?

Hadn't thought about it before.

Rubybubbles
16-11-2008, 09:06 PM
I saw on the buggy list :) that some of you also have baby carriers. Do you get permission from the parent to put their baby in it? As a parent I'm not sure I would want a childminder wearing my baby, its quite a close thing. I have a ring fabric sling which I have kept from my children and would happily wear a baby but do you think parents are like me and would mind?

:( surley you wouldn't go to a childminder then, what about all the cuddles with baby, feeding the bottle ect!

As a parent myself I think it's a shame to think no way:(

I have used a baby carrier for 3 babies. But now they don;t come until bigger do they!! They are also great for when needing hugs, but also got toddlers doing things so you can have the baby close by in the sling, but still get to interact with other children IYSWIM

ohh off soap box

kindredspirits
16-11-2008, 09:21 PM
actually, thats given me a good idea for my dinky 1 year old starting on tuesday, if she gets a bit clingy i was worried about leaving my 20 month old son out, but i could pop her in the sling and still play with him!!!! must say i had a 'baby carrier' you know the traditional sort when DS was little and he felt much much safer in the ring sling even though i didn't get that until he was 9 months old!

don the duck
16-11-2008, 09:24 PM
i have carried the baby i look after in a baby carrier its great. u have ur hands free when out. more mobile.

Pipsqueak
16-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Have been known to wear a baby yes:D

Hebs
16-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Have been known to wear a baby yes:D

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

flis21
16-11-2008, 10:14 PM
I carry my own son in a baby carrier, he is 10 months old, but small for his age. When he grows out the carrier I would carry other babies in there. I think it is a lovely and comforting way to transport babies. Surely we want to encourage a close relationship between child and minder?

sammy
16-11-2008, 11:06 PM
yes i wear my minded baby, he goes quite well with my jeans !! the mum was up for it and wanted her baby to settle-and it worked, I did get concerned as he was interested in that area!! and always clings to my top and likes resting his head there!! i do tell the mum and shes not worried, i do feel its a personal thing when you have them snuzzled into your chest area, which is what ends up happening, and i dont think i would like my child in that position with someone else.

I didnt do a written form for it though, should i then?

angeldelight
17-11-2008, 08:07 AM
That's a good question as I know a couple of my friends have said they'd never use one themselves as they would worry about if they fell over. Maybe some parents might object on that ground?

I had never thought about it before either

I dont use one though

Angel xx

Alibali
17-11-2008, 08:16 PM
I used one for a while and Mum provided it, her lo was 3 months and my other 2 were 1 year and 16 months so if we wanted to get out and about this was the best option

balloon
19-11-2008, 08:37 AM
I have used a sling for one of my baby mindees, mum gave to to me to use for her so I'm sure she's ok with that. She's also seen me out with her little one in my back pack and hasn't complained so I presume she's ok with that too. Have to admit that I have never asked though, perhaps I should?

I have never worried about the two babies I look after being in the location of my chest area, I haven't thought of it as any different to my lap. Do other childminders?

Personally, I don't think I would leave my children with a childminder/nursery/nanny that wouldn't snuggle them in if they needed it.

Pudding Girl
19-11-2008, 10:17 AM

I know it's not you saying it but -

as opposed to falling over in charge of a buggy on a busy road on a hill? Equally worrisome imo, but also equally unlikely ;) sorry that argument gets on my boobs!

I have used a sling, it's no closer than carrying a baby in your arms, would parents object to us doing that maybe??

LOOPYLISA
19-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Just my opinion, i never have or ever would wear a sling/harness/carrier on my back/front, scares the life out of me if i were to fall over, sorry just me x :thumbsup:

Tatia
19-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I wore my older children in more traditional baby harnasses but had a Maya wrap for my youngest and wore her til she was over 2. I have used the same wrap on 3 baby mindees and it is brilliant, expecially if you have a screamer or clingy mindee who needs extra cuddles. It has allowed me to get my work done and still look after older kids hands-free. None of my parents objected and indeed, were very impressed I was willing to go that extra mile to provide comfort for their child.

I have never, ever even come remotely close to falling over. :laughing: In fact, if you're afraid of falling over randomly whilst holding a baby, the baby is more safe in the sling/wrap than in your arms as at least they are secure against you and not going to be thrown to the ground.

I have on several occasions tripped up with a buggy and sent it rolling away from me. I even tipped one once whilst trying to get up the curb.:blush:

Mollymop
19-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Just my opinion, i never have or ever would wear a sling/harness/carrier on my back/front, scares the life out of me if i were to fall over, sorry just me x :thumbsup:

Yes I am like you Lisa, the thought of wearing one scares me too

Lincsminder
19-11-2008, 06:26 PM
I have fallen over whilst wearing a sling, however it was a traditional wrap kind where the baby is held securely against my chest and so did not make contact in with the floor in anyway. If I had been using one of those high street carriers where the baby seems to be hanging off the adult and head flopping every where (eg Tomy) there is a very good chance they could of fallen out. I do feel more comfortable carrying a baby this way as there will be times when they cry in the pram/ pushchair and inevitably you get them out for comfort and they are safer in a sling than in my arms when walking.

gemmcd
20-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I had a hug a bub sling for my youngest and loved it - wished I had had it for my older two. Was very sad when I sold it. My mindee who was very clingy came with a sling! His Mum recommended I use it and it was brill until he just got too big and heavy for it!

Gx