PDA

View Full Version : development officer??

mrsb
16-11-2008, 07:26 PM
I've seen this talked about alot, does every childminder have on? I've never even heard of them until I joined this forum lol.

How do I find out if I have one does anyone know? Also is she the sort of person who could pop round and tell me if what I am doind is sufficient?

Fankoo:blush:

littlesprogs
16-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I've never had one and also had never heard of them until i joined this forum!

Schnakes
16-11-2008, 07:32 PM
I dont think they do them here either. Berkschick - if you are around - do you come under Reading Borough Council or Wokingham? If its not RBC, do Wokingham do them?

Sx

kindredspirits
16-11-2008, 08:27 PM
i think perhaps its different names for the same thing, i've got a 'childcare advisor' so i'm guessing its the same thing.

bubbly
16-11-2008, 08:44 PM
I've never had one and also had never heard of them until i joined this forum!
Me too, haven't got one or know anything about getting one

Lou
16-11-2008, 08:46 PM
I have an "Early years support officer" im presuming thats the same thing

Chimps Childminding
16-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I haven't got one either, and had not heard of them until I came on here!!

Rubybubbles
16-11-2008, 09:30 PM
I didn't have one in Bedfordshire, but went for a meeting on Weds and meet the whole team in Lincolnshire:clapping: :clapping: how fab

so yes, different areas seem to be different!

cuddlybunny38
17-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Mines called a support officer, in the areas that do this you have one for your first year of childminding to help you in any area they can.( dont use mine as I was reregistering so had been a minder for 14 years previously)

kiddiwinks
17-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I have never heard of one, but in Oct EYFS was really getting me down so i rang my local sure start for help and they sent a lady out the next day to go over it with me.
She was great went over everything, left her direct number incase i got stuck she also said she woud come round to help with sef which she said not to even think of untill March etc next year as my inspection has just gone 2 years.

balloon
19-11-2008, 08:49 AM
I haven't had anybody at all to help me since I started in August (Devon area), no idea if we are supposed to have them and I have just been overlooked or if we just don't do them here.

Polly2
19-11-2008, 09:08 AM
This forum is my development officer :D

Raggydolls
19-11-2008, 09:35 AM
u generally meet your DO/support worker/whatever its called in your ICP training!

leanne
xx

Rasharoon
19-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I actually received a reply from my local CIS today as I queried this and they've never heard of them so take it that is a no for my area! Told me to get intouch with my local network childminder. I won't bother as in my opinion, she is hopeless.

Mollymop
19-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Yes I have a development officer, they are called different things depending. They are there to help and support you as a childminder and are usually employed by NCMA.

Buzz Lightyear
19-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Is this like a mentor or something completely different??

tashaleee
19-11-2008, 03:56 PM
In our area we have Development Officers (but im pretty sure that unless you specifically ring up and ask them to come and see you then you will never know their name let alone what they actually do!)

We also have a Support Childminder Scheme whereby childminders are paid to be support (or a 'buddy') for new/prospective childminders - and they in turn report to a Childminder Support Officer (or something like that) who works for the local authority

Kelly
19-11-2008, 04:49 PM
We have an Early Years Development Officer who covers the whole of Oxfordshire, childminding co-ordinators if your on a network and mentors who support newly registered childminders in their first year

nell57
19-11-2008, 04:53 PM
We have development officers from the local early years dept. They have been a great help recently helping local minders become familier with eyfs. Have had visits of mine quite alot recently, but am due inspection.

Helen

Andrea08
19-11-2008, 04:57 PM
i am in shock :eek: you all should have some form of support how did you start childminding? when you start and you have a pre-reg inspection that person is your D O or what ever they want to call themselfs.

i hope they dont just drop you on your feet once your registered?

the goverment is paying good money to local authorities to look after all of you so where is the money going?

ring your MP and find out who your support is and then get them to visit you and to do their job!

OMG the forum is a LIFE LINE!!:D

Buzz Lightyear
19-11-2008, 05:27 PM
I absolutely second that Andrea08 and I am pre-reg! No doubt I will need you all even more so once registered!

suzyjane73
07-02-2011, 01:08 PM
I have a development officer and she has been very helpful during pre reg. I didn't realise other areas didnt have them. It's nice to have the support though I feel she's always looking over my shoulder and pulling me up on this and that. I will be glad when I don't have to see her so often.