PDA

View Full Version : No children under the EYFS

DudleyChildmind
16-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Hi

I went on a First Aid course yesterday and I was talking to the other childminders and I was telling them that I don't have any under 5's except for my grandson who doesn't really count as far as the EYFS is concerned.

They told me that if I'm inspected and they know I don't have any children under 5 I will just get a "satisfactory" grade because they can't monitor me interacting with children.

Does anyone know if this is correct please?

sarah707
16-11-2008, 08:59 AM
That was certainly true under the previous system.

This quote is taken from the Ofsted inspector's handbook which covers birth to 8 years old. As it says, you will be graded on whether you are fit to be childminding.

Childminders with no children on roll

The Childcare Act 2006 grants us the power to cancel the registration of a childminder who has not provided childminding for a period of more than three years during which he or she was registered.

Some childminders will not fulfil this criterion, but will have no children on roll when their inspection becomes due. This may be because childminders may choose to dip in and out of childminding to suit their domestic arrangements or those of the parents whose children who are cared for.

In these circumstances inspectors must carry out a full inspection of the childminding provision but should not apply the four-point quality grading scale. Their visit is simply to confirm and report on the childminder’s continued suitability for registration, and to set recommendations and actions for improvement where appropriate. The guidance to be used when inspecting childminding provision with no children on roll is available on our website: www.ofsted.gov.uk.

If the inspector contacts a childminder who informs the inspector that (s)he has no children on roll, the inspector must record the date and content of the conversation in the Regulatory Support Application (RSA) – list letters ‘telephone’ – (s)he must then memo their inspection support team (IST) to send out the no children on roll letter EYL410, so that a record of the evidence to inform cancellation of registration is created.

This does not apply to childminders where there are children on roll, but they are not present on the day of inspection because, for example, they are ill or on holiday. These childminders will have a full inspection with quality grades and, whenever possible, inspections should be deferred until the children are present.

kindredspirits
16-11-2008, 09:07 AM
i'm not sure thats true (not what sarah is saying, what your friends are saying) - are you saying that you have over 5's who aren't covered by the EYFS - but obviously you will still be following the welfare requirements?
if you are concerned about wanting to get higher than satisfactory i would make a few obs and assessments on your grandson (presuming you care for him on occassions)

DudleyChildmind
16-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Thank you both.

All the children I look after are over 8 and the only child under 5 that I look after is my grandson. I have been following the EYFS for him but I was led to believe it doesn't count as he is related to me.

I don't plan on having any more under 5's but I don't think it's fair if I am just given a 'satisfactory' grade for it when I can prove I follow the EYFS with my grandson :)

Does that make sense because I don't explain things very well sometimes :blush:

singlewiththree
16-11-2008, 10:59 AM
It makes perfect sense and ofsted (I believe) are happy for you so show what you would do IF you had a child under EYFS so as long as you show what you are doing with your grandson it should count. Well thats the way I interpret it I suppose the only way to really find out is to ring them but even then thats not a 100% guarantee.

Tatia
16-11-2008, 11:34 AM
All the children I look after are over 8 and the only child under 5 that I look after is my grandson. I have been following the EYFS for him but I was led to believe it doesn't count as he is related to me.

If you are being paid to look after your grandson then I'd think you do have to document the EYFS with him. If you're not being paid, then I'd still do it to prove to OFSTED. I was in the same boat (for about 5 minutes) when the only under 5 I had was my DD. I now have a 1 yo part-time so she shall be the focus of my EYFS practice.:laughing:

DudleyChildmind
16-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Thank you both for your advice :)

sammy
16-11-2008, 11:12 PM
im not sure how it works as hes your grandson etc, but i wasnt minding and i got a satisfactory from a good, and she said had i of been minding i would of got an outstanding - gutted or what!!

DudleyChildmind
09-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Sorry, I've only just noticied your reply :blush:

Have you thought about appealing about your grade? I think it's very unfair to grade you lower just because you weren't childminding at the time.

madasahatter
09-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Would you have to tell ofsted he is your grandson?;)

DudleyChildmind
09-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Would you have to tell ofsted he is your grandson?;)

I never thought of that ;) :laughing: