PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! What would you do?

Schnakes
15-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi all,

I have a lady coming at 11 this morning who wants childcare to start on Monday (cutting it VERY fine, dont you think!). Only problem is, she reckons that the Job Centre are going to pay her fees for her. I usually ask for fees up front and REALLY dont feel comfortable working without sticking to my rule - particlarly as Ive been ripped off before when Ive done someone a favor.

Ive worked for this lady before, babysitting, so hope that she isnt going to mess me around as she knows me. I just have a bad feeling about it. Ive got two hours to decide - what would you do? Ive never heard of the job centre paying for someones childcare before. Its just too fishy for me.

Sx

Twinkles
15-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Don't know about the job centre thing , but I would go with my gut instinct. Don't work for nothing. Tell her your policies about payment and then it's up to her to choose you or not. If she's genuine she'll find the money.

mandy moo
15-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Hiya,
Dont suppose theyre open today either, are they:( ? so you could ring and enquire.
Could you not ask for a deposit and get the rest on monday, :idea: if you take her on that is?
Apart from that Im not much help, good luck anyway
Mandy

Pipsqueak
15-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Yes I have heard of the jobcenter paying for childcare.

Its up to you - ask this lady how long it is before the JC pay and perhaps set a time limit on it. Ask her if she can give you even a small token deposit.
Its a catch 22 situation isn't it - no money to pay for childcare therefore how on earth can you get back into work if you have no childcare....

If she hasn't messed you around for babysitting I would be tempted to give it go - after all its work. And your babysitting is what has prompted this lady to come to you in the first place.

Speak to the JC yourself on Monday if possible and see what the time schedules for payments are.

Good luck and I hope it works out

sarah707
15-11-2008, 09:09 AM
I have been paid by the job centre before.

They always pay... but in my experience never on my time.

So long as you accept you will have to wait for your money and don't get upset or stressed by it, I can't see any other problems.

It doesn't matter how many phone calls you make to them (waste of money) or whatever you write on your invoice (waste of ink), they will ignore it and pay in their own good time - usually somewhere between 30 and 60 days.

Hth :D

Schnakes
15-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for your replies. I know my money-up-front policy is harsh, and I think a lot of people do balk at it...but like I say - Ive learnt the hard way do that. Every time I feel sorry for someone and let them off they mess me around.

I particularly do feel for this woman. Her partner has ******** off and she grew up in care so no family to borrow the money from. But Ive got problems of my own, you know. M&S wouldnt be going...ahh, poor her, shes got a hard life, she can pay for her shopping next week, would they?

But then this is a bit more difficult than M&S isnt it!! And a lot more money, too. Shes looking at about £900 for the month.

I think I will ask her if she can pay for a week and see how it goes. If I get some sort of payment I'll be happy I think. Just cant bear the thought of the stress of chasing someone for money AGAIN.

Sx

LittleAcorns
15-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Really tough one, I would ask for a weeks fees up front

We've all had times where we've struggled for cash to pay for things, knowing its coming iyswim

I would stress the importance of fees being payed as soon as physically possible, and once the job centre is sorted you'll expect them ontime

defo catch 22 as when its all sorted £900 a month is a fantastic amount

could you get a approx idea of when it will be sorted??? x

mrsb
15-11-2008, 10:39 AM
As someone said above, if you have had no problems being paid for babysitting I would probs go for it, I would however ask her to get a signed letter from the jobcentre saying that they will be paying you, ask her to go in and get it and bring it back with her on monday night.

come to think of it, do you need someone's signature from the jobcentre on the contract if they will be paying you? sorry never had experience with it so not sure how it works:blush:

Hope you sort it to your satisfaction :)

aly
15-11-2008, 11:12 AM
difficult one really
i know she may be there now? let us know what you have decided

x

Raggydolls
15-11-2008, 12:32 PM
i personally wouldnt take on a risk like this around xmas when there is a chance u will b messed about and rely on that money for xmas stuff

monday is too short a notice in my opinion too

good luck on whatever u decide

leanne
xx

DCS
15-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Don't agree to anything UNTILL you have spoken to the job centre first!

Cecile
x

Schnakes
15-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Well.....she didnt turn up!! Grrr! I have sent her a text but have had no reply. (Not going to bother phoning her.) What a waste of my time. Im :censored: off about it, having been worrying about it, then getting myself ready for it on a SATURDAY. People are so inconsiderate.

Sx

LittleAcorns
15-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I think this gives you an insight into how things are going to be, if they mess you about now..... just be very careful, I know that things crop up, but to not let you know is rude.

Schnakes
15-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I guess it goes to show my gut instict was right about the whole thing sounding fishy.

Sx

Pipsqueak
15-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm sorry thats happened schnakes but at least you have good reason to turn it down now, follow your feelings. How rude and inconsiderate.

Hope something else comes along

Ripeberry
15-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Hope she was not trying to get hold of your registration number to try and claim tax credits or something. If she comes back, just tell her no.
Think of it as a lucky escape!

marion123
15-11-2008, 02:26 PM
hi i have been paid of the job centre it was by cheque (it was a pain as i couldnt get to the bank) that was for the first week then tax credit paid it from then on every tues so i got paid tue nights now i get paid up front as ive also been messed around with parent all my parents are great about it as i explained what some people

Rubybubbles
15-11-2008, 02:52 PM
was going to say, bit late to start on Monday:eek:

but she never turned up anyway:(

hope your okay

balloon
16-11-2008, 09:14 AM
How rude of her not to let you know she couldn't make it.

Looks as though you may have had a lucky escape though...

Hope something else turns up for you soon

(and FWIW my fees are always up front, no exceptions, and I would never have had the courage to do that if it wasn't for this forum!!)

nell57
16-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Well.....she didnt turn up!! Grrr! I have sent her a text but have had no reply. (Not going to bother phoning her.) What a waste of my time. Im :censored: off about it, having been worrying about it, then getting myself ready for it on a SATURDAY. People are so inconsiderate.

Sx

Not supprised you're mad, I hate it when this happens. But like you said you had a gut feeling about it and it was probably never going to work out any way.

Helen

Mummits
16-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi,
I've only just started childminding, but I asked my hubby, who is a contract manager, about what I should say if people weren't willing to pay up front and he said tell them you can't have the children because you wouldn't be insured. He said if your contract says payment in advance and you don't get that the contract isn't valid and your insurance (which is with NCMA) only covers you if you are working to a contract, therefore the insurers could wriggle out of paying a claim. I would never have thought of that, but parents are obviously keen to have watertight insurance in place and I haven't had any trouble getting them to pay up.

Jane

Tatia
16-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Beanoak, current NCMA policy is that you may not withhold childcare for non-payment of fees as you could be sued for loss of parent earnings if they have to miss work. What you can do is to give notice right away (which you have to observe) but if you don't observe the proper notice, then it is you who are in breach of contract. Ridiculous, I know but the law leans heavily in favour of the debtee and you have to give then a reasonable amount of time to pay before stopping service.

Just want to make sure you have latest information. NCMA will only comment on their own contracts though and do not offer advice regarding other paperwork you may have gotten elsewhere or created yourself.

Mummits
16-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi Tatia,

Thanks for the advice on NCMA policy. But I would imagine that would only apply once you were actually taking care of a child under contract?. Surely a parent couldn't make Schnakes or anyone else agree to take on a child unless they were willing to accept her financial terms? In practice, would you not just say (in the nicest possible way) these are my rules and unless you hand me a month"s money (or a deposit at least) I don't hand you a contract?

Jane

Lincsminder
16-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Now you see iIdon't agree with that i'm sure the NCMA need to look at this again. If the parent dosen't stick to the contract and pay when they should they have effectivly broke the contract not you so you can withhold care. You can't not pay some one and still expect them to offer you a service or work for you.

Schnakes
16-11-2008, 03:19 PM
current NCMA policy is that you may not withhold childcare for non-payment of fees as you could be sued for loss of parent earnings if they have to miss work

Are you sure that is right? Ive seen that on here before but if a parent has already broken the terms of the contract then surely it is invalid??? I dont care what NCMA says, anyway - if a parent doesnt pay then theres no way Im looking after their child. If they try to sue for loss of earnings surely you can also counter sue for loss of earnings?? Its ridiculous!

Anyway - back on topic - I think I got a lucky escape. Although ive never had any problems with her personally, I always thought she was a bit flakey. :( If she really has got a job though, I wonder what shes going to do tommorow?? Poor kid.

Sx

mrsb
16-11-2008, 03:54 PM
did she ever contact you to apologise for not turning up schnakes?

Schnakes
16-11-2008, 07:13 PM
I dont belive this - just had a text saying she was sorry about what happened yesterday. She said she found rats in her garden and had to wait for someone to come and sort it out. Why she didnt say this in the first place I dont know!! Anyway - shes begging me to have her daughter tommorow. :panic:

I cant belive it, I really cant. I dont know what to do. I really dont want to do it because of what happened yesterday and the fact that we havent signed any contracts. On the other hand I do "know" her, and would feel awful if she is genuine. Argh! What should I do? What would you do??

Sx

Pipsqueak
16-11-2008, 07:21 PM
oh dear - you can't mind her child unless all the relevant paperwork is in place anyway can you.

Whats your gut feeling on this hun? Do you want to do this, do you believe her text???

mrsb
16-11-2008, 07:24 PM
I woudl ring her and say that you cannot legally look after her children until you have signed contracts/policies/child info etc etc. Also be honest with her and say you need reassurance FROM the job centre themselves that you will be getting paid - that's if you actually want to take them on :)

Schnakes
16-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, the excuse sounded genuine (who would make up a story about rats in the garden!). If I wanted to I could ask her to come early to do contracts...its more the money thing that bothers me. And such short notice too.

Sx

Schnakes
16-11-2008, 07:28 PM
On the other hand, if she IS genine...the money would be fab just in time for Christmas. Gah! this is so horrible. I just dont know whether or not to do this. Also, I would feel really bad if she lost her brand new job cos she couldnt get there on her first day. But then...its not my fault. Shes had all day to get in touch.

Sorry to keep going on...

Sx

littlesprogs
16-11-2008, 07:31 PM
On the other hand, if she IS genine...the money would be fab just in time for Christmas. Gah! this is so horrible. I just dont know whether or not to do this. Also, I would feel really bad if she lost her brand new job cos she couldnt get there on her first day. But then...its not my fault. Shes had all day to get in touch.

Sorry to keep going on...

Sx

providing you get the money before christmas!

I would only do this if she came early to sign all the relevant paperwork and paid a deposit to cover you until you can get confirmation from the job centre etc

Pudding Girl
16-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm sorry but she could have sent you a text to cancel/explain before now, I would steer clear, your instinct is probably right and you'll kick yourself!! Sounds like she had something else lined up that fell through at last minute and now she's wanting you again!

She seems to have no thought or regard for you or her child either. Can't see her sticking in her job long tbh.

How long are the job centre going to pay for? would imagine it's only that first week anyway the rest would be tax credits anyway?

mrsb
16-11-2008, 07:33 PM
If she is that desperate and is truly genuine I would get her to come over tonight and do contracts, won't you have other children around in the morning to look after etc?

Schnakes
16-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Not as early as she'll need to come, MrsB!!

I think I'll send her a text saying to get it sorted tonight or not at all...WITH a deposit. Im not doing it for free. I think I'll say that I'll do it till the end of the week and see how it goes. If shes genuine then she'll have to sort it out...its not my business to feel sorry for people. I'll let you know how it goes...

Sx

Schnakes
16-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Well, Ive done it. I just hope I dont regret it.

Sx

mrsb
16-11-2008, 08:24 PM
oohh fingers crossed, hope it all works out for you :) x

Schnakes
16-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks MrsB. Im stressing abut it...hopefully it will all go well.

Wish I had some wine in the fridge though...Im never going to be able to relax tonight with this bugging my brain!

Sx

Rubybubbles
16-11-2008, 08:59 PM
hope it all works out for you hun:panic:

did you get a deposit?

mandy moo
17-11-2008, 09:42 AM
did she come, did you get your deposit or whatever you asked for
hope so
Mandy

devoncm
17-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Hope it went ok and works for you.

I would get a deposit as ive been paid by job center before and it took several weeks, i done it for a friend was just for two weeks but at the time it was hard for her and i knew that already, i did speak to someone from job centre who said i would def be paid by them but i think it took about 6 wks in all.