PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Balance Life for Your Older Children

CCJD
14-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I started childminding, like many others when my children were very young. I honestly at the time thought that I would stop when my two were older and in school and I would return to an employed work place. As it happens I enjoy childminding and it rewards me no end , not only with pay, but with hassle free sick days/inset days/school holidays for my children.
My children are great and I have always made it really clear to them both that without their help and co-operation I would not be able to childmind and for them I am very grateful. I always thought childminding would be easier the older my two get - however I am starting to think that it actually becomes harder. As my two spend less time in the playroom where I am with the little ones I am finding it harder to get homework, reading etc done. I feel guiltier now, with most of my attention on the little ones, that until 6 pm they kind've sort themselves out. After 6pm I am then busy with dinner, baths etc etc etc.
How do the rest of you with older children balance things or is it just the downside that has to be, in exchange for the positives I listed above?

crazybones
14-11-2008, 06:25 PM
We didnt have a problem until after the summer hols as all my after-schoolers were the same age (9 and 11) so they would all play together in the dining room. They have all left to go to Senior school now so we are left with 3 under 3 and a 5 year old GIRL!!! I also used to finish at 5 and now its 6, so it is harder. They go off to their rooms or play on the playstation in the dining room but tea is later now and then I have to get my 2 year old sorted. I feel a bit guilty but remind myself I am always at home for them before and after school and there isnt another job I could do where I would earn this money without having to pay most of it out in childcare myself. I am also able to attend assemblies, class mass, plays, sports day etc even if it is with little ones in tow!

mandy moo
14-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi, dont know how old yours are, mine are 7 & 10,
Difficult isnt it! but I have a stipulation on my registration that mindees are not allowed up stairs, only my bedroom which is only for sleeping and naps.
thay are not allowed in my 2 sons room simply becoz being a lot older than the mindees they need they're space, and should'nt have to be with the mindees all the time, and the fact their 'toys' etc might not be suitable for little ones.. which inspector and manager at my grading inspection yesterday, agreed whole heartedly with!
The playstation etc are also upstairs, my mindees not really being old enough for that sort of thing, in my mind.
Again my two tend 'to get on' with it, but they are beggining to understand that Mummy has the money now to but extra things for them, us as a family, and me of course!
I too, didnt want my 2 to be latch key kids, as I was as I got older, so I am there for them, school assemblies etc, like you, it works for me:)
Sorry for the essay:) I hope as they get older it will get easier as they can do more for them selves, and go to bed later which gives us more time with them, if they want it!:)
Mandy

PixiePetal
14-11-2008, 07:02 PM
My own two are 14 and 12. Been minding since first one was 6 months old. Was a nanny till 8 months pregnant with her!

Their bedrooms are out of bounds and we did a loft conversion for a chill room - TV, DVD, train set etc. Again, gated off stairs to room.

I am a bit choosy now on taking on new mindees. Prefer to finish by 5pm. Do mostly term time only and currently have no school runs. Mine leave for school by 7.30am so mornings don't affect them.

I am lucky that my earnings pay for extras and do not contribute to the mortgage - if that was the case I couldn't be so choosy.

Mollymop
14-11-2008, 07:16 PM
I actually know exactly how you feel.
When I started minding in April my youngest was only at pre-school, so she was at home with me and mindees most of the time. My oldest was at school - he is 9.
But now, since sept, Caitlin, my youngest has started school and I feel guilty too!
It is late tea time (after 6), bath time is after 7 and bed is 8.30. I am totally worn out at the end of the day and have to fit in my son's guitar practise, reading himework - plus my daughters reading, etc.

I have tried to get all the homework and practising, reading done while the mindees are here. I am trying my hardest to make it easier some how.

My kids are good though, they love me being a childminder and enjoy the friendships they make.

I miss not having my youngest here in the day though, it was alot easier then

marion123
14-11-2008, 08:10 PM
hi it does get easier my own childen are 18 and 14 my daughter is at college and when she gets home she does help me out with the mindees my son also plays with the mindees for a while when he gets in from school then he goes to his room. ive been doing this job since my daughter was 2yrs and i found it was so easy when mine were little then it got hard as i spent so much time with the little ones and they had to entertain them selfs i think they just got used to have lttle ones around but i wouldnt change anything as i love my job and i think my own kids do to as they have made some wonderful friends from mindees, which they are still in contact with. it will get easier i do promise that :)