PDA

View Full Version : my husband keeps arguing this point with me: he reckons its not illegal to c/mind if.

sammy
14-11-2008, 02:21 PM
if your not regsitered.

Im trying to get another child added to my certificate with ofsted at the mo, and hes saying you dont need to let them know, its a friend!! but i keep telling him that its to do with the ratio of adult to children, and that ofsted needs to be informed. Hes then saying "you cant tell me that if someone wants me to look after there child, then i would have to say sorry no im not allowed" and if i did then i could get arrested for it!! hes such a pain! i told him that its illegal to look after a child for more than 4 hours if your not registered. But if your looking after family children then you dont have to be registered....... So my question is this am i right???? and if you did childmind while not registered what could happen ????? (need answers just to shut him up!!!) lol

Rubybubbles
14-11-2008, 02:23 PM
if your not regsitered.

Im trying to get another child added to my certificate with ofsted at the mo, and hes saying you dont need to let them know, its a friend!! but i keep telling him that its to do with the ratio of adult to children, and that ofsted needs to be informed. Hes then saying "you cant tell me that if someone wants me to look after there child, then i would have to say sorry no im not allowed" and if i did then i could get arrested for it!! hes such a pain! i told him that its illegal to look after a child for more than 4 hours if your not registered. But if your looking after family children then you dont have to be registered....... So my question is this am i right???? and if you did childmind while not registered what could happen ????? (need answers just to shut him up!!!) lol

:panic: it's less than 2 hours

NO WAY tell your hubby to butt out to be frank, you are completely right you CAN NOT do this without the change of certificate

kindredspirits
14-11-2008, 02:30 PM
its 2 hours and NO PAYMENT or reward - otherwise its totally illegal. hubands!! men can be such a pain in the @$$ when it comes to what should be allowed and what IS allowed!

sammy
14-11-2008, 02:36 PM
he also said what if your childminding for free, then you should be able to look after someones kid!! i keep telling him you have to have the basics - ie meets the national standards, first aid, crb etc etc and be registered and told your allowance of children. But he says what it i had 15 kids then am i not allowed to have all them, coz its more than 6 children!! he does talk c*** he just doesnt get the registered thing, and probably reckons its easy to get registered too!!

jellytot
14-11-2008, 02:42 PM
ok i know im prob going to sound dim but here goes............. it says we can only mind for 2 hrs without registration. is that just in minding times though.
for eg, friend goin shopping, i offer to have child for the day, would i or whoever is watchin child be breaking the law for doing so.

this is something we all do have friends over to play, watch our friends kids, surely it cant be right that you need to registered to do so, if that the case there are people all over the uk breaking the law every day.

i appoligise in advance if i am talking aload of nonsense

Minstrel
14-11-2008, 02:46 PM
its in reward for payment or anything else like swapping favours

sammy
14-11-2008, 02:47 PM
this is what i wondered, i know if your registered you can only have the numbers your allowed and no more even if your childs friend comes to play after school.

But if your not registered then your allowed to care for someones child for no more than 2 hours.

So what would actually happen if you did break the rule .. imprisonment ? fine? what?? im not planning on doing it, just wondered ?

madasahatter
14-11-2008, 02:56 PM
This was posted yesterday - about when you don't need to be registered.
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19930

If your not registered and you are not receiving payment then no problem. But if you are registered then even if you aren't receiving payment you still have to adhere to your numbers.....so if your kids want to bring a friend home after school it needs to be a day when you have space (now I may be wrong on that score but it was something I was told years ago and always done)

Sue

Blaze
14-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Just wanted to point out it's welfare standards from EYFS now NOT National standards.:)

PixiePetal
14-11-2008, 03:22 PM
I only let my kids have friends to play on non working days or not to put me over numbers. Thought that was how it was?

Long time ago now they are 14 and12 !!

loocyloo
14-11-2008, 04:30 PM
hi, mine only have friends to play when i have space/not working, but what about weekends when i am not working, and i might have a friends children for the afternoon so she can go shopping, and then she has mine the following weekend? i guess that is seen as reward, and therefore technically i am working!

or ... childrens birthday parties? mine are getting older ... their friends are left by the parents, i usually have a couple of other adults around ... do i have to say to my children, sorry, you can't have a party 'cos i'm not allowed to have that number of children?

i understand the legallity of it when i am working, but what about what i do in 'my life'? !

madasahatter
14-11-2008, 05:28 PM
In your life outside of minding hours you can have a busload of kids round if you wish, as long as you are not receiving payment for any of the kids during the time they are there.

mandy moo
14-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Sorry to but in :blush: but I was told it was 2 hours per week no/or little payment (they paid £25 for 5 hours, with diesel inc) :rolleyes: at my initial inspection (suitable person/premasis etc? sorry cant spell:blush:
Simply becoz back then, I was looking after my friends little girl, at their house mostly, but dad was/is a policemann and works shifts, and when he did nights I would bring her to mine so he could sleep.
Prehaps, yet again, these things ought be made clearer?
Mandy

Mollymop
14-11-2008, 07:21 PM
As the others have said you just can't help a friend out if it means being over your numbers. I have been asked by my cousin to pick up her dd from school - I would have been over my numbers and only for an hour but I said "no" - it is not worth my job for xxx
Why is it hubby's always think they know best even though it really is none of their business - I have one (a hubby) just like yours by the sounds of it! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Mollymop
14-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry to but in :blush: but I was told it was 2 hours per week no/or little payment (they paid £25 for 5 hours, with diesel inc) :rolleyes: at my initial inspection (suitable person/premasis etc? sorry cant spell:blush:
Simply becoz back then, I was looking after my friends little girl, at their house mostly, but dad was/is a policemann and works shifts, and when he did nights I would bring her to mine so he could sleep.
Prehaps, yet again, these things ought be made clearer?
Mandy

Yes that is right, but not f you are going to be over your numbers you can't.

You do this if you are not registered but if you are registered you cannot push yourself over your numbers

Pauline
14-11-2008, 09:11 PM
The main thing is....mind illegally and you are not insured......no insurance means that if a child is injured while on your care you could be SUED!!

and in today's 'sue 'em' society that is scary :panic:

JoeBloggs
14-11-2008, 09:35 PM
you can mind un registered legally for under 2 hours per day, or for unlimited hours no reward, that doesnt just include payment, if the parent brings you some flowers its technically illegal >>

sammy
14-11-2008, 10:26 PM
so when you say its illegal WHAT would actually happen if you were unregistered and looked after a child and being paid for it?? would you get a prison sentence a fine? what? thanks for your help on alot of matters, but does that mean if your not getting paid for a child then you can have them however long you want?

Raggydolls
15-11-2008, 12:52 PM
im not being funny but if u have been registered since march 2003, then u should know all this, its not new to u and isnt to your hubby, y is he asking about it now!??

u cannot work unregistered for more than 2 hours a day for reward, yes u will either be fined or imprisoned, phone ofsted and ask them and get them to send u it in writing for the other half if he dont believe u!

if you are registered then u cannot go over your allowed numbers, so no, your kids cant have their mates over while minded children are in the house

the way i see it if i am NOT working and their is NO minded children in the house then i can have my sons mates over, as many as he likes and they can stay for however long, as im not being paid and im not really looking after them in the sense of 'doing my job' and its not exactly everyday is it! (correct me if im wrong someone, thank god having ppl over is a rare thing in my house)

good luck in getting your amended certificate to allow u an extra child. dont listen to the hubby and risk your job!

leanne
xx

sammy
15-11-2008, 07:27 PM
yes i did know this but i was just clarifying about what was to happen if you did childmind illegally - i dont know anyone that has been found guilty of childminding without being registered - maybe i dont watch the news much, i was interested to know what would happen if you did mind illegally,not that i would ever do that, and i wouldnt listen to my hubby if he said "o do it ofsted wont know" as i would be worried of any comebacks. Anyway for the record i got my variation yesterday and had it accepted, so i can have 4 under 5 years now, so no problems.

Even though i have been registered since March 2003 doesnt mean to say i know everything, things change all the time, so what may be right yesterday maybe wrong today - iykwim.

thanks for your replies

Chatterbox Childcare
15-11-2008, 07:37 PM
To summarize:

If you have just 1 childminded child in your house you must adhere to your certificate.

If you are not childminding you do not have to adhere to your certificate

If you break the conditions of your certificate you are breaking the standards under EYFS and you are liable to be prosecuted and or can be deregistered

Is it worth it? Tell you friend that you are happy to help out if you are within your numbers and tell your hubby to run his own business and leave you to run yours - alternatively, send him on a course or line him up with my Ofsted Inspector as she will certainly tell me where he stands!!!!!!!!!!

Breaking your conditions means no insurance and I for one would not like to work without it - maybe hubby will understand that and that everything you own is on the line.

He could always be responsible for the friends child if he is at home though.

Chatterbox Childcare
15-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Just thought of another way to educate hubby - give him the Statutory Guidance book from the EYFS pack and if he manages to stay awake and can understand it, make him a childminder advisor!

That should fix it.

roseybev
15-11-2008, 08:52 PM
its very simple anything over 2 hours and you take money is

roseybev
15-11-2008, 08:56 PM
its simple anything over 2 hours and you take money is illegal and you can get prosicuted sorry about spelling lol.if it was that easy we all would just not bother getting reg .he should read our paper work and read the news about people that get takin to court for doing it.good luck with husband and this just shows we do know more:clapping:

Chimps Childminding
15-11-2008, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't risk it, there is always someone only too happy to drop you in it and then you could face Ofsted withdrawing your registration all together!
not worth the risk to help a friend out in my opinion!! :panic:

sammy
16-11-2008, 01:16 AM
:panic: No i wasnt ever going to take a child on without contacting ofsted, it was my partner was saying why do you have to etc etc, he couldnt quite understand why you would need to ask ofsted, as if someone asked him to look after a child in an emergency he wouldnt just say "no get on with it yourself" im not allowed.

So basically he is right to the extent that if he cared for a child (which he wouldnt - he owns his own business) but to care for a child if they didnt pay you or if it was family then its ok,

By the way as mentioned previously, I have got the go ahead from ofsted to care for the child - i wouldnt care for a child if i wasnt registered and within my numbers!

Chimps Childminding
16-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Why is it husbands always seem to think they know more about our business than we do!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: Mine is very good as saying you should do this and you should say that!!!!! Two words BUTT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!