PDA

View Full Version : how do you do it

samgeordie
13-11-2008, 08:04 PM
ive only been childminding since august and only have 1 child of my own so not used to having loads of kids at the same time. Ive now got 4 part timers on my books which means on a wed and thurs after school I have 4 children aged 5 and under at the same time. Its been a shock to the system :panic: , yes i hear all you experience minders chuckling. Youngest mindee of 18mths was tired and grumpy today and cried for the 1st time ever when mum left, after school mindee was constantly asking questions while the 2 yr old mindee who has just started wanted to go to the toilet every 5mins.

How do you organise having so many children at the same time, they all get picked up at different times so its hard to organise a structured activity within the time I have.

Im having a glass of wine tonight - think i deserve it, please tell me it will get easier;)

crazybones
13-11-2008, 08:07 PM
It wont necessarily get easier - you will just get yourself in a routine where it will seem easier. We all have mad days and you will find you need the wine every night - or is that just me? :laughing:

miss mopple
13-11-2008, 08:09 PM
:laughing: its chaos like that in my house most the time.

After school I tend to let them just do whatever they want (within reason ;) ). I always have an activity out (even if its just drawing/colouring/ wordsearches etc) but they tend to just want to play anyway. I organise snacks etc before the school run so thats one less thing to sort.

I find things like playdough/ rainbow rice keep them calm and occupied after school :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
13-11-2008, 08:09 PM
OMG im not minding yet and i have wine most nights, wats it going to make me whem i am..................................alcoholic? lol :laughing:

miss mopple
13-11-2008, 08:10 PM
It wont necessarily get easier - you will just get yourself in a routine where it will seem easier. We all have mad days and you will find you need the wine every night - or is that just me? :laughing:

not just you :laughing:

nannysue
13-11-2008, 08:17 PM
It does get easier, (as long as you can split yourself in 3):laughing: only joking. Once you get into a routine its fine, everyone has hectic days but then another day can be really calm and you think ahhhh its not so bad!!!!!!

Sue x

merry
13-11-2008, 08:24 PM
It doesn't really get easier, you just get more used to it, and I don't do planned activities as such after school, just put everything out and let them get on with it :laughing: After schoolies have usually had enough of being organised into things at school and would rather do their own thing, and the littlies are fascinated by the bigger ones and follow them about copying everything they do.

:)

Trouble
13-11-2008, 08:26 PM

yes thats just you but everyone elses glasses are smaller:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mollymop
13-11-2008, 08:27 PM
I think you get used to it - it is hard at first, I am still finding it hard as I am in my first year minding. But I am finding it does get easier. xx

manjay
13-11-2008, 08:32 PM
I have learnt to chill and go with the flow and things are much easier!! I too let the after schoolers get on with it to a certain extent. I quite often have 9 children here after school so there is no way I could please everyone anyway.

Some days are calm and lovely others are very testing. On the testing days I console myself with the fact that all but 3 of them will be gone soon:laughing: (those 3 are mine so have no choice but to let them stay)

berkschick
13-11-2008, 08:46 PM
I have 4 of my own so I guess I was used to my house being mad anyway!

I sometimes have 8 children here before and after school and I have to be honest and say I dont really notice :laughing: Obviously I know they are here lol but it doesnt bother or phase me.

sarah707
13-11-2008, 08:58 PM
You sort of get used to the noise, put up with the chaos and learn how to do most things one handed.

Don't let the little one lead you a merry dance with the loo... it's just her way of attention seeking. Maybe ask one of the older ones to read her a story or get her playing with the playdough, anything to take her mind off her woes. Sometimes telling them ... I know you are missing mummy, she'll be here after we've had tea, I'm going to cook now or something like that can really help to reassure them.

Don't think you have to carry baby everywhere... he needs to get used to watching the others and entertaining himself for short periods, so long as he is safe and you are always on hand and alert.

You'll be fine! Welcome to the world of childminding :D

Andrea08
13-11-2008, 09:06 PM
its all been said ;- THE RED WINE HELPS pmsl

xxx

samgeordie
14-11-2008, 11:58 AM
its all been said ;- THE RED WINE HELPS pmsl

xxx

thanks ladies, and yes the red wine did help:clapping:

ChocolateChip
14-11-2008, 01:51 PM