PDA

View Full Version : doing school runs only

EllaBella
13-11-2008, 02:24 PM
hi, I am in the process of registering, and was wondering : do any of you only do the school runs?? I ask as I currently am self employed and would ideally love to keep a few of my clients and visit them in school hours, as I am doing now. just wondered if it would work or not and if any of you do it, aslo if you do only do school runs, what happens with regards to school holidays? do you work them with the children or do they get minded by someone else? do you still charge because you are available to do school runs (even though its school hols)

obviously I am pre reg and by the time it comes to me minding I may well have a full timer lol!!! BUT I am intending to school run and work inbetween, any input would be appreciated :D

xx

kellywestie
13-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi Kelly, don't see how it wouldn't work for you - if you can afford not to have full-timers or mind in the school hols.

I've just got a job working mornings in my son's school, I then have my one little one (3) who I bring home from the school nursery and he goes around 1615. I pick up 3 children at 1600 and have them here for tea before they go at 1800. Come September I'll have my afternoons free as the little one will be in school full-time - very exciting!

I will still be doing school holidays to bump up my money, I only know that when I had some others just after school but not in the holidays I just did a term time only contract and didn't charge in school hols. my feeling is if you charge for the holidays then you have to be prepared for the parents to phone up asking you to look after them and I couldn't do that as I am full during school hols. - but if you are not in a situation where you need to do this full-time, I'd say go for it and good luck.:)

yummymummy
13-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Had a friend who did before and after school term time only so didn't charge and one who did the same but offered holiday care too so if parent didn't want to use her in holidays charged half of what she normaly charged for the school hours (some parents preferred to pay this as such a small amount it was actually cheaper to use holiday club and pay the retainer)
If you do go down this road really research the before/after school clubs and wraparound care in your area as I have found in my area that every school has them so childminders no longer get offered any school children now.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.:)

Hannahlg
13-11-2008, 07:14 PM
well if it works out money wise i dont see why it wont work