PDA

View Full Version : Policies

Minnie mouse
12-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi everyone, just when i thought i had all my policies (50+) it turns out im missing a few and just wondered if anyone has one that i could adapt or if someone can point me in the right direction please as i cant seem to find them on bromley. Here is what im looking for

Emergency procedure
emergency evacuation record (is this a fire drill log?)

Thanks in advance :)

Donkey
12-11-2008, 07:06 PM
the evacutaion record is a fire record evacuation plan.

it could be that you have to evacuate for another reason and not a fire.

you could evacuate because of a gas leak, water leak, carbon monoxide monitor going off hence why I think its called an evacuation record :)

the care learning and play is definately on bromley as is equal ops

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/policies/policies_and_procedures.html

there on that page ^^

marion123
12-11-2008, 07:11 PM
hiare mine:)

Accidents & Injuries Policy

Minor bumps and scratches are inevitable, but I make every effort to keep the children safe through supervision and childproofing. Minor injuries receive appropriate first aid, and if an emergency injury or illness occurs, you will be contacted as soon as possible. If necessary, your child will be taken to the nearest hospital where you will be asked to meet us. If you are not going to be at your usual place of employment, or at home, please make sure that I have a number where you can be reached and please update me of any changes to your emergency contact telephone numbers.

If an accident does occur to your child whilst in my care (however minor) I will make a written record with a brief explanation of how the injury occurred and any treatment given. Your signature will be required to say that you have been informed and you will be give a copy of the log for your records.

Similarly, please keep me informed if your child experiences an accident or injury at home as this may effect the child’s behaviour or ability to participate or there may be complications. An “Existing Injury” form is available for this purpose.

marion123
12-11-2008, 07:11 PM
here is the other one:)

Emergency Plan

I always have to hand phone numbers for the children’s parents/guardians, children’s GP, my GP, Emergency GP Line/NHS Helpline and emergency back up person. At home I have excess to a telephone on each floor, and when not at home I have a mobile telephone with me.

As required by my registration I attend recommended first aid course every 3 years, the last course was June 2998. A first aid box (stocked according to Red Cross recommendations) is easily found in the kitchen. I also have a travel kit.

A fire blanket is in the kitchen. 2 alarms are fitted in the hall and upstairs landing and are checked weekly.

Children are shown the smoke alarms and what they sound like. Each term, I practice my fire drill with the children (without frightening them). I help children to learn safety awareness through discussion and planned activities.

In an emergency situation I can contact nearby Registered Childminders. In the unlikely event that I cannot contact a Register Childminder in an emergency situation your child will be left with Dave, or a trusted friend, neighbour or relative for a short period to wait your collection. An emergency situation ( e.g., my accompanying an injured child in an ambulance) is the only situation that would lead to my leaving your child with an unregistered person. At all other times minded children are within my sight or hearing, unless parent has given written permission for their child to walk to /from my house unaccompanied, for example a secondary school student walking to my house from the bus stop.

marion123
12-11-2008, 07:12 PM
here is the other one:)

Equal Opportunities

I treat each child as an individual and with equal concern e.g.

* I offer girls and boys the same activity.
* I provide activities that can be enjoyed by the children if they want to.
* I have equal high expectations of children whatever their gender, racial origins or disability.

I give every child equal chances to learn and develop.
I take in to account each child’s age and stage of development, gender, ethnicity, home language and any disability.

I encourage children to develop a sense of their own identity and culture e.g.,

* I call children and their families by the names they prefer and spell and pronounce their names correctly.
* I encourage children to understand that everyone looks different in some way and that this is one of the things that make each of us unique and special.
* We celebrate things that are special to each of the children in my care - birthdays and religious festival.
I help children learn about cultures different from their own and to develop positive attitudes towards people who are different to themselves e.g.

Books, puzzles, toys & equipment show:

* people from different racial origins and cultural backgrounds
* different family groupings
* people dressed in different ways
* disabled people
* different languages

marion123
12-11-2008, 07:14 PM
hope they help:)

Minnie mouse
12-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks so much ladies, much appreciated :)

Minnie mouse
12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Sorry forgot to add

Closure policy
premises and safety
premises and security

I would be very grateful if anyone can help with those :)

Donkey
12-11-2008, 09:16 PM
blinking heck!!

where is the 'to do' list from????

you forgot the

'hepa filtered house'
and
'cotton wool'

sorry!!! had to, its just been one of those days!

Minnie mouse
13-11-2008, 09:37 AM
I didnt get that lol :rolleyes:

funtoplay
13-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi,

I am not critisising you since if you think having 50+ policies are what are needed for your setting, then thats great, however, I was just wondering, do you think over 50 policies are really essential.

I wouldn't imagine any of my parents would actually read all that many, or want to!

I sometimes think, as much as this forum is great for finding out lots of useful information, that it is sometimes a competition as to how much paper work you can have. Alot of good childminders are leaving because of the amount of paperwork they think they need. In reality if you are organised you don't actually need that much. I have a good Gem and childminding network around me but if I didn't and read some of these threads it would scare the life out of me!!!! I have good and outstanding (EYFS Graded) childminders workng around me who have not nearly as much paperwork as stated on this!!!!

Of course you are your own boss but I like it nice and simple. I don't have the time to do loads of paperwork most evening, what with a DHC and having my own family.

J

Minnie mouse
13-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Hi, i printed most policies off bromley which i thought i might need. Im going to go through them all later and see if theres any i can do away with because yes it is alot of work. Im not too worried if parents cant be bothered to read the policies as at the end of the day im making sure that my own back is covered.I dont understand the competition thing, iv not long started back from maternity leave and im now trying to work towards the eyfs which means ive had to do lots of paperwork, ive worked very hard (and i have a family and a house to keep too) and i would like to think i could get a good-outstanding for my hard work, its not trying to compete with people at all and how can i when theres lots of people got a better grade than me. I just want to know that im the best childminder that I can be.

sue
13-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi,

I am not critisising you since if you think having 50+ policies are what are needed for your setting, then thats great, however, I was just wondering, do you think over 50 policies are really essential.

I wouldn't imagine any of my parents would actually read all that many, or want to!

I sometimes think, as much as this forum is great for finding out lots of useful information, that it is sometimes a competition as to how much paper work you can have. Alot of good childminders are leaving because of the amount of paperwork they think they need. In reality if you are organised you don't actually need that much. I have a good Gem and childminding network around me but if I didn't and read some of these threads it would scare the life out of me!!!! I have good and outstanding (EYFS Graded) childminders workng around me who have not nearly as much paperwork as stated on this!!!!

Of course you are your own boss but I like it nice and simple. I don't have the time to do loads of paperwork most evening, what with a DHC and having my own family.

J

l strongly agree with above

Minnie mouse
13-11-2008, 04:19 PM
I think you will see most of the minders on here have the same policies as i do, if there neccessary then they are necessary, im not going to cut down my policies because parents cant be bothered to read them. If i was sending my baby to a childminder i would be glad to see that they have got everything covered and that there very organised even if it means looking at 50 policies.

Pedagog
13-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I have 72 and my development officer still suggested more, really random ones.

Kelly
13-11-2008, 04:55 PM
I have 72 and my development officer still suggested more, really random ones.

OMG :eek:

When we first moved over to Ofsted I did create ALOT of policies that covered everything and anything, spurred on by sites such as Bromley who were creating tonnes of them it all got a bit out of control. I have weeded through and now probably have about 20. I ensure I have all the ones that the Statutory framework state plus any others that are relevant to my setting. I know my parents don't read them so I get them to sign to say they have recieved a copyof the policies, if my development officer suggested having random ones that did not reflect my setting I would question it.

I have to agree with funtoplay that with the amount of paperwork we are creating at the moment do we really need to create so many policies?

funtoplay
13-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi I was just pointing out that this amount of paperwork/is not actually needed. There are only about 11 policies legally required by the EYFS and of course there are various other pieces of paperwork which are regarded as good policy.

I just wanted to point out that you don't actually need folders and folders of paperwork to be a good childminder. Great if you feel you need all these policies, however I feel that it is just a case of carefully selecting the ones which apply to you, I could have copied and bought loads. I mean there are loads on bromley even a terrorist attack policy...anyone feel they need that one???

I feel I have covered myself in all areas, I don't have too much, it doesn't take days to review and update, I try to keep things easy and straight forward.

I am sorry if you took offence but sometimes it does sound like everyone is trying to go one better or looking for people to say how great they are. I am all for supporting one another and bouncing good ideas, but it does feel like a "competition" on here sometimes.

J

deeb66
13-11-2008, 05:00 PM
OMG :eek:

When we first moved over to Ofsted I did create ALOT of policies that covered everything and anything, spurred on by sites such as Bromley who were creating tonnes of them it all got a bit out of control. I have weeded through and now probably have about 20. I ensure I have all the ones that the Statutory framework state plus any others that are relevant to my setting. I know my parents don't read them so I get them to sign to say they have recieved a copyof the policies, if my development officer suggested having random ones that did not reflect my setting I would question it.

I have to agree with funtoplay that with the amount of paperwork we are creating at the moment do we really need to create so many policies?

What we need to remember that it really is personal choice.

You are right in that we don't have to do them all and only a handful are a requirement and even those do not actually need to be written (although I thought this a rather silly statement from Ofsted and always recommend that you have them in writing!).

Some minders like to have them all written and others do not.

What everyone needs to do is to read the threads and digest or take on board what they want to do and what they think is appropriate for their setting.

This is what I do.......I often read various threads and think that it would not be appropriate for me and choose to 'discard' that information.

As I say it really is a matter of choice and no-one should feel that it is a competition or feel inferior in anyway because their paperwork is not as involved as others.

Pedagog
14-11-2008, 09:43 AM
I have to say round here you do need lots of policies. I have been reading through local childminders recent ofsted reports and one of the biggest criticism from local ofsted inspectors was lack of paperwork especially policies and procedures.