PDA

View Full Version : Deserts and more Activities for an 11 year old

Donkey
12-11-2008, 06:55 PM
because if she had her way she would sit and watch nickelodeon and disney channel. :rolleyes:

Monday we made meatballs for tea and did homework.
Tuesday she didnt come as mum had an awards ceremony
Today we started making buns, mum was meant to be collecting early and I wasn't meant to be giving tea, but then a frantic call from mum as she was running late, meant had to give sausages mash and beans as not much else in that I can cook quickly as baby was starving!

so need activities to entertain....

we are having sheppards pie (yes I know mash 2 days on the trot but its what was planned and its already made)

and I am stuck for desert ideas!! we had peaches and ice cream on monday, today we had the buns we had made, thinking tmrw will be home made rice pudding....

help!

Trouble
12-11-2008, 07:02 PM
bread and butter pudding

ice cream

yogurt

crackers and cheese (posh)

fruit

Donkey
12-11-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't like bread and butter pudding, so have never made it....
I love making proper deserts like apple crumble, but don't want to be slaving away in the kitchen for hours at a time!!

although I am sure df would appreciate it!!

is it ok to give things like a yoghurt? I thought that would be ok for after lunch, but I thought for after tea we would have to give a 'proper' desert.

Is tinned fruit in juice still very frowned upon???

thought about pineapple upside down cake too

Trouble
12-11-2008, 07:12 PM
you could use yog and get her to chop some fruit to go with it

it depends how long you want to stay cooking for:D

Twinkles
12-11-2008, 07:13 PM
My standard puds are ;

fruit
yoghurt
ice cream

Sometimes;
banana custard
flapjacks
homemade cakes/biscuits
crumble

sarah707
12-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Anything fruit or milk based is great!

That includes fresh, tinned, frozen, dried fruit...

Just watch out as dried is high in sugar so should only be given with meals to protect teeth.

We do a lot of fruit, yoghurt, fromage frais, low fat ice cream, those fruity ices are lovely, the odd crumble or sponge... keep it simple, nothing is cheating so long as the ingredients are nutritious and good quality :D

Twinkles
12-11-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't like bread and butter pudding, so have never made it....
I love making proper deserts like apple crumble, but don't want to be slaving away in the kitchen for hours at a time!!
although I am sure df would appreciate it!!

is it ok to give things like a yoghurt? I thought that would be ok for after lunch, but I thought for after tea we would have to give a 'proper' desert.

Is tinned fruit in juice still very frowned upon???

thought about pineapple upside down cake too

You can do a very easy crumble with frozen berries ( £2 in iceland ) mix sugar with porridge oats and sprinkle on top stick in oven.

Donkey
12-11-2008, 07:19 PM
oooo thank you!!

how long do I bake for???
I thought the big 'o' had a big no no against tinned produce?

Twinkles
12-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm very much a 'see how it goes ' kind of cook. No idea how long you leave it in for - 20mins ?
Should add I sprinkle the fruit with sugar before i add crumble too.

Frozen fruit is as good as fresh.

sarah707
12-11-2008, 09:04 PM
I think the tinned they have a problem with is in syrup...

So long as your healthy eating policy says you use the natural juice stuff, the nutritional quality is the same.

PLUS... my ds has oral allergy to lots of fresh fruit but tinned is treated to high heat (ie. like cooking) so he can eat it :D

Donkey
12-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I never ever buy fruit in syrup.

df bought dd dole fruit in syrup, I went nuts!!!
he said he got a variety :rolleyes:

what happens when you send a man to do the shopping!!

Donkey
12-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm very much a 'see how it goes ' kind of cook. No idea how long you leave it in for - 20mins ?
Should add I sprinkle the fruit with sugar before i add crumble too.

Frozen fruit is as good as fresh.

what temp twinkles??? in gas marks please :D

i've always had an electric cooker, when we moved into this house we had a gas cooker, but it had temps on it, the new cooker is in gas marks. most confusing!

Twinkles
12-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Not a scooby ! I stick everything in at 180c :D

Donkey
12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
lol

I think thats 7??? :blush:

so long as it probes at over 75 degrees when it come out and the probe aint touching the tin......

:)

sarah707
13-11-2008, 07:58 AM
http://www.circlecity.co.uk/kitchen/conversions/gasmark_temperatures.php

:D