PDA

View Full Version : Advanced safeguarding

Tatia
12-11-2008, 05:15 PM
:clapping:

I've been on the waiting list for 'Advanced Safeguarding - Specific Areas of Concern' and just found out I now have a space this Saturday. :D

Not my favourite subject but a necassary evil. I told my husband he'll have to take me to dinner afterwards to lift my spirits. I always leave those courses so depressed.

crazybones
12-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Good for you. Bet its not so nice especially with what is in the news recently. Hope dinner is good. :thumbsup:

breezy
12-11-2008, 06:11 PM
let us know how it goes, but you're right its depressing but so necessary

Tatia
16-11-2008, 11:54 AM
This course was really good. It looked at 5 specific areas of concern w/in safeguarding. It discussed concerns in families dealing w substance abuse; mental health issues; domestic violence; learning disabilities/difficulties; and then went into detail about how children can be groomed for sexual abuse.

It was very interesting in that it discussed how loving and caring parents w learning disabilities can be but how they might not recognize dangers and need additional support to make sure their children are safe.

They showed a video w actors in 2 scenarios that showed how someone can groom a child fro sexual abuse. What struck me is the length of time they will spend to make the child and the parents feel safe and trust them before they ever make an inappropriate gesture, sometimes years. You might think they are the greatest person on earth, friendly, helpful. You just never can tell. :( Makes it hard to trust anyone, that's for sure!

I am now signed up on the next course in the series that NSPCC do called 'Protecive Behaviours in Under 5s' which is all about ways you can build this into your curriculum to teach children self-esteem, how to say no or that it's okay to tell someone what is happening (despite what abuser may be saying). I can't wait for that one as I think practical ideas for teaching it will be fantastic.

breezy
16-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Sounds really good, scary but worth knowing, hope the next course goes well