PDA

View Full Version : Just starting...

Buzz Lightyear
21-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi,

I'm a newbie and am just finding my feet with all this so please bear with me. Not even sure I'm in the right section for posting - sorry!!

So a bit about me. I'm pregnant and our baby is due in May. I'm really excited about having a baby, first one and already feel so much love for Bumble and he / she's not even here yet.

I work full time and I'm planning on working right up to a Friday when Bumble's due date is the Monday. I know it's a long time but it then gives me longer with Bumble after he / she is born and means I wont come back to work until the third week in May 2009!!

The thing is, the thought of having to return back to work is really worrying me and it's all I ever think about. We'd have to send Bumble to either a nursery or a childminder for 2 days or so as MIL has offered to have it one day and I'm going to request part-time hours with work which hopefully will give me 2 days off. I know going to nursery or a childminder for 2 days isn't too bad but the whole thought is just horrible.

My mother sent me to a childminder as a kid and I hated it and vowed never to do that to my own children.

Sooooo.... I've been looking into becoming a childminder! I've read a lot about it and received information from my council and have enrolled on an introductory course which takes me to the next stage. It all seems to be my best option in terms of looking after my own baby and still earn good money by looking after other children also.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's currently going through the process or has just finished and see how easy / hard you found starting up. It's something I'm really interested in doing as the thought of someone else looking after my baby is killing me and Bumble's not even here yet!!

Thanks if you've got this far!!

Elliebee

SARAHW26
21-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi elliebee

Congratulations and welcome to the site, it's pack with lots of info, so have a read. Might be better to say hi in the hello bit as well.

Anyway I'm currently going through registration my self, as i had a baby in May 07 and didn't want to go back to work after mat leave, so I decided to look into childminding. It's is a lengthy process, but by starting now, your on the right road.
Once you get started it get easier and Ofsted are not that scary (Really!!!)

I'm hoping to get started begining on Feb and started the process in April last year, to give you some idea of how long it has taken me, but everyone is different.

Good luck and look forward to chatting to you

Sarah

Buzz Lightyear
21-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply. Already been and said hi in the hello section, slowly finding my way around the different topics and trying to familiurise myself with various topics. It's all new but equally fascinating, very eager to get started but have to wait for my introduction course!

littlesprogs
21-01-2008, 04:40 PM
hiya and welcome to the site.

I am just awaiting my certificate which i should have by the end of the week. I started my registration beginning of september so mine has been alot quicker than sarahs but then some have been quicker than mine aswell so it all depends.

Your on the right track going to the induction as they will explain what you have to do and what childminding entails etc. It is expensive to set up your business though obviously you need toys and insurance etc. For toys though i would start looking on a site called freecycle where people give away things for free in your area and you can give away things too its a really good site and i got most of my toys and equipment from there also.

Its very time consuming setting up aswell when doing your policies and all the other paperwork but once its done it'll only need updating and of course were here to help with any questions you may have to make it easier. This site was very useful to me when i was first getting started.

Hope your pregnancy goes well. I am due July 11th. If you go into the forum babies section theres a few of us on the site that are expecting.

Louise x

Stanfield
17-04-2008, 09:49 PM
hiya and welcome to the site.

I am just awaiting my certificate which i should have by the end of the week. I started my registration beginning of september so mine has been alot quicker than sarahs but then some have been quicker than mine aswell so it all depends.

Your on the right track going to the induction as they will explain what you have to do and what childminding entails etc. It is expensive to set up your business though obviously you need toys and insurance etc. For toys though i would start looking on a site called freecycle where people give away things for free in your area and you can give away things too its a really good site and i got most of my toys and equipment from there also.

Its very time consuming setting up aswell when doing your policies and all the other paperwork but once its done it'll only need updating and of course were here to help with any questions you may have to make it easier. This site was very useful to me when i was first getting started.

Hope your pregnancy goes well. I am due July 11th. If you go into the forum babies section theres a few of us on the site that are expecting.

Louise x

How do i get onto this forum babies section?

sarah707
18-04-2008, 07:01 AM
How do i get onto this forum babies section?

It's here, you will only be able to access it if you meet the criteria... :D

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60

angeldelight
18-04-2008, 07:40 AM
See lots of information for you already in our lovely forum

Congratulations with registration and congratulations with little bumble

You will make heaps of friends here some are in the same postition like yourself

Good luck

Hope to speak soon

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
18-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Hi and welcome (I am not sure if i have said hi - there have been lots of newbies lately and I can't keep up!!! :D )

You will find lots of info and support around the forum!!!

Congrats on having a bump!!!:)

deeb66
18-04-2008, 07:35 PM
My mother sent me to a childminder as a kid and I hated it and vowed never to do that to my own children.

[COLOR=purple]Elliebee

Welcome to the forum.

You obviously had a bad experience as a child...

we are not all dragons....honest....:D

You will find that out when you become a minder......well lets hope so anyway otherwise you will never get any work :eek:

:laughing: :laughing:

prettypink0206
18-04-2008, 08:30 PM
:)
hi elliebee,
congratz on the preg, and welcome to the first steps on becoming a child minder.
I am also in the process of doing this and have, done 2 of my 3 courses, and im currently singed up for another 2.
I have 2 children one who is 5 and nearly 2. I also found myself in the same situation that i didnt want to leave my children and also enjoy doing the school run.

Well started the brifing session in March and, now have to send off my forms to Ofsted,(scary). Im also in the process of writing my policies which is sooo time consuming.

Well good luck
Hope it all works out for you
take care
anniex;)

mrsbumbles
18-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum

Noodles
18-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum:)

fionamal
18-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi there and welcome to this marvellous forum.

Congratulations by the way with "bumble"

chelle
18-04-2008, 09:34 PM
:waving: Hi and welcome the forum its great friendly and you get some great advise when you need it and congratulations on your bump its great being a mum.x

Lottie
18-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi there,

Welcome, welcome. I have just been registered and I found it all relatively easy, although the waiting for crb checks to come through was an anxious time!
This forum in particular has been my life line in the past couple of months and given me loads of advice and tips. Moreso than any other website or literature.
I found my pre-reg inspection easy and Ofsted inspector was lovely, so all in all I have had an easy ride looking back.

I decided to start childminding for the same reason as yourself. I have 3 children in total and have worked most my life, so decided that I wanted to spend more time with my 2 year old and bring in an income at the same time...voila childminding!

Congratulations and best of luck on your newest to be member of your family!