PDA

View Full Version : No sure what to do with poss new mindee

acorns
11-11-2008, 11:15 PM
I've had a what I thought very interested parent. she contacted me via email to arrange a visit I emailed back with a time but had no response. Anyway, she turned up at the time I said, I was a bit surprised but pleased she was here. All went ok and she arranged to come back today with OH. At the time she was supposed to be here Oh phoned and said she's running a bit(?) late can they make it in 2 hours:eek: time at 6pm. I said yes, they phoned at 6pm and said cant make it, she still wasn't home. I've now had a email saying she wants to come on Saturday and she had a reasonable excuse for not coming today. I had decided to take her on, then not after today now i've got the email i'm thinking about it again. Hubby says if she's messing me around now then nothing will change and it's not worth the trouble. But with xmas coming we could do with the money. This would only be my second child so i have no experience of parents like this - what are your views

angeldelight
11-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Personally I think its really rude of her - but at least she did let you know

It is difficult to tell

I have had parents like this and they have let me down but then they have been ok once they have started

If she does show on Saturday make sure you set out your ground rules - about late fees and child not turning up / sickness and how you still charge for that day etc
At least you can be prepared for her now you know she is like this

I would give her the benefit of the doubt and let her come again - but it would be IN MY TIME and not when she wants to arrange it
There is no way I think you should give up YOUR free time on a Saturday hanging around for her - say if she does not show again?

You tell her to come when YOU are free

Good luck let us know how it goes

Angel xx

PixiePetal
11-11-2008, 11:37 PM
I would give her this chance too but get your rules set out especially the late pick ups etc!

I would not give up my saturday (unless that suits you) but tell her when I would be free to meet. If she really is interested she will be back.

Good luck ! :)

cher25
12-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Hi, i have a parent who was just like that. She rang before the summer hols and arranged to come round twice and never showed. However her reason for not turning up the first time was the child ended up in hospital. The 2nd time was she didn't get the job she went for, but it took her 4 days to phone me. And stupidly i had spent all morning on a sat waiting on her arriving.
But she rang me again just after the hols and i now look after her son. She is a bit unreliable with money but i didn't think to mention late fees.
So i agree with Jen, tell her when your available, don't hang around waiting for her to maybe not turn up and make sure you do mention late fees, i wish i had thought about that!lol

chantelbutterwo
12-11-2008, 07:48 AM
As long as you have a 4 week settling in period you should be fine. That way if she messes you about then you tell her you are not going to provide care.

Lottie
12-11-2008, 11:06 AM
As long as you have a 4 week settling in period you should be fine. That way if she messes you about then you tell her you are not going to provide care.

That is good advice. :thumbsup:

acorns
12-11-2008, 11:51 AM
After much thought and a sleepless night I have e mailed her to say my circumstances have changed and I can no longer offer the place. I have, at least given her a couple of minders to contact who have vacancies. My instincts said not to take her on but my head (the bit responsible for money!!) was saying do it. In the end my instincts about people have never been wrong so i've gone with that. It'll be interesting to see how the other minders get on with her

Lottie
12-11-2008, 11:54 AM
You should always go on instincts, well I think anyway. Most likely you did the right thing. Hope you get other enquiries asap!

acorns
12-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks for that - I've had two others so far this week so it shouldn't be long before something suitable comes up