PDA

View Full Version : Can my Husband take mindee to school?

karent30
11-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi I don't currently do a school run in the morning because my husband takes our son to school! But I have a parent who's child I have after school wants me to do the morning school run to the same school as my son, the child in question is 8 years old, would my husband be able to take her to school? Another childminder has told me this would be ok as she is over 8. Please could anyone advice me.
Thanks!

melanieabigail2004
11-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Hiya - as he is over 8 I would have thought it would be ok but to be safe I would call Ofsted and ask them.

Mel

Pedagog
11-11-2008, 03:00 PM
And of course get signed permission from parents

emmadines
11-11-2008, 03:15 PM
And of course get signed permission from parents

as above, other thing.......................... is your partner classed as ur assistant???

karent30
11-11-2008, 03:45 PM
No my husband is not classed as my assistant.

Rubybubbles
11-11-2008, 03:51 PM
as above, other thing.......................... is your partner classed as ur assistant???

If not classed as your assistant then I really think you need to phone Ofsted, I don't think without there permission if he is under contract with you this can be done

But I am not in the know, phone them:D

Raggydolls
11-11-2008, 03:58 PM
i dont think this will be allowed (think of your safeguarding children course)

but then again i could be wrong

leanne
xx

sarah707
11-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Check with ofsted - 08456 404040

Actually, better get it in writing - enquiries@ofsted.co.uk

AND your insurance companies ... BOTH childminding and husband's car!!

I would get it in writing from them as well.

Parents would need to know that unless your dh has class 1 business insurance, child is not insured.

Hth :D

Wiggly
11-11-2008, 04:24 PM
I would be surprised if this was allowed. It is you as the registered childminder who is being paid to look after the child so I would assume your responsibility to provide whatever care parents have asked for ie school runs. If your husband is not your assistant then I don't see how he can have clearance to do school runs for minded children.

Will be interested to read outcome of this matter.

Wiggly
x

littlesprogs
11-11-2008, 04:31 PM
i think for over 8's it will be ok because you dont have to be registered for over 8's. but under 8's will be a problem otherwise whats the point in being registered?

I wouldn't let my hubby take mindees because I would be getting paid for him doing the work and i would feel guilty.

elaineg
11-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Can you not get your husband registered as your assistants, I did this for my parents and now I can leave the children with them and they can do school runs etc, all they needed was to be police checked by Ofsted.

love Elaine XX

Ripeberry
11-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Why would he have to be registered as an assistant if he was just taking over 8's to school in the morning on his way to work?
As the husband he would get an enhanced CRB check anyway and the only thing he would have to do is to get written permission from the parents and make sure his car is covered for class 1.
What on earth happens if childminders cars go on the blink? How are we supposed to pick up mindees, if we can't use our own cars?

littlesprogs
11-11-2008, 05:44 PM
What on earth happens if childminders cars go on the blink? How are we supposed to pick up mindees, if we can't use our own cars?

walk......

crazybones
11-11-2008, 06:00 PM
walk......

:laughing: :laughing: Some of us have to. :thumbsup:

breezy
11-11-2008, 06:03 PM
some of us do a school run over 2 miles away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

littlesprogs
11-11-2008, 06:05 PM
there was a woman on the news the other day who makes her children walk over a mile to school there and back

Heaven Scent
11-11-2008, 07:00 PM
how well is this woman known to your family? If she is local then perhaps your husand could do it as a favour for the woman and so long as neither he nor you receive reward for it then you and he should be OK - what difference would it be to a neighbour doing you a favour by taking your son to school every day - Its all become very complicated - your other option would be to register your husband as an assistant and get business cover or perhaps you could travel in the car with him and walk back home after the drop you will still need business cover on you husbands car? - There will be ways around it but its not cut and dried - either you do it for no reward and she signs something to say she understands it to be an agreement between her and your husband and it has nothing to do with your minding contract and perhaps it would be better for your husband to pick him up from his home or meet them at a convenient spot enroute - my husband sometimes takes my DD's friends to school or picks my Son and his friends up in the evening but that has nothing to do with me or my minding business. Some of these kids even come back here and go on the playstation for an hour or 2 and then he drops them home Surely I am not professionally responsible for these children. - sorry for the ramble

breezy
11-11-2008, 07:02 PM
there was a woman on the news the other day who makes her children walk over a mile to school there and back

I could do the 5 mile round trip with the little ones, make them walk then they should sleep all day:laughing: :laughing:

Twinkles
11-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't see why he can't do it,as long as you don't get paid for him doing it. They could pay that part to him or pay you an enhanced rate for the afternoon session. Just make sure they know that he's not covered by your insurance when your husband has him.

Rubybubbles
11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
how well is this woman known to your family? If she is local then perhaps your husand could do it as a favour for the woman and so long as neither he nor you receive reward for it then you and he should be OK - what difference would it be to a neighbour doing you a favour by taking your son to school every day - Its all become very complicated - your other option would be to register your husband as an assistant and get business cover or perhaps you could travel in the car with him and walk back home after the drop you will still need business cover on you husbands car? - There will be ways around it but its not cut and dried - either you do it for no reward and she signs something to say she understands it to be an agreement between her and your husband and it has nothing to do with your minding contract and perhaps it would be better for your husband to pick him up from his home or meet them at a convenient spot enroute - my husband sometimes takes my DD's friends to school or picks my Son and his friends up in the evening but that has nothing to do with me or my minding business. Some of these kids even come back here and go on the playstation for an hour or 2 and then he drops them home Surely I am not professionally responsible for these children. - sorry for the ramble

no, but if ofsted came round they would want to see how it effects the cre of the children you are looking after

the OP sounds like she would be doing a contract, and in my eyes it is not the same as having a friends child over IYSWIM

Either way, I think OP should get hold of Ofsted, if it is just a quick drop of them maybe the mum would be better of asking a friend

I am confusing myself haha

emmadines
12-11-2008, 12:40 AM
my dp is an assistant mainly fir his protection (if thay makes sence) plus if the kids are free playing the i can let him supervise while i make dinner,clear up the snack stuff or get the activity stuff out.

EllaBella
13-11-2008, 02:38 PM

my daughter and I walk about a mile to school , (and then I walk back another mile :mad: ) we have no choice I am a repeat failer at my driving test and there are no busses en route. I feel like the worst mum on this earth when it rains and my daughter is soaked before even getting to school,
:blush:

littlesprogs
13-11-2008, 02:45 PM
my daughter and I walk about a mile to school , (and then I walk back another mile :mad: ) we have no choice I am a repeat failer at my driving test and there are no busses en route. I feel like the worst mum on this earth when it rains and my daughter is soaked before even getting to school,
:blush:

i didnt mean it was a bad thing i think its good that your children are getting exercise!

I used to go to school with a really really really fat lass and she used to go to school in a car there and back but the parents wondered why she was so fat. exercise doesnt hurt children and even when i pass my driving test (i am also a repeat failer :blush: ) i will still walk most places i will probably only use my car for long journeys.

When Jayden is older he will certainly be walking to school!!!

karent30
14-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi. I have just rang Ofsted and asked them if my husband could take the child in question to school and she said yes he could because she is 8 she doesnt require a registered childminder. No mention of any conditions but i would get a letter from Parents to agree to it!
Looks now though as if i may have to give her parents notice because her behaviour is dreadful and is effecting the other children i look after. Feel a bit stressed about having to go through this process as never been in this situation before. I will give a warning first and then give 4 weeks written notice. She is rude agressive and physically violent, she requires almost 100% attention which is hard as I have 5 other children including babies. Any advice would be great!
Karen