PDA

View Full Version : Policies and Procedures you will need

angeldelight
21-01-2008, 10:54 AM
You do not have to have all of these of course and you may think of some that I have missed out , everyone is different regarding their own setting !!

Most are what people have given me and some are from the Ofsted website or what I have put together myself

Policies and Procedures

Ofsted regulations advise that Childminders have available, for
reference by parents, a number of Policies and Procedures relating to their working environment

Policies For – a safe child

• Accident / Incident
• Child Protection / Safeguarding children
• Closure
• Emergency
• Large equipment
• Safety on outings, including Lost Child Procedure
• Terrorist attack
• Uncollected children procedure
• Visitors
• Over 8s including Independent Arrival and Behaviour
Management Agreement for over 8s
• Physical contact

Policies For – A Healthy child

• Alcohol and drugs
• Dropping and collecting
• Exclusion
• Medication for prescribed and over-the-counter medicines
• Toilet Training and nappy information
• Sleeping baby
• Sun Protection
• Healthy Eating
• Hygiene
• Illness and Sickness
• Human flu pandemic

Policies For – Helping children enjoy and achieve

• Observation
• Outside Play
• Special Needs
• Care, Learning and Play
• Early Years

Policies For – helping children make a positive contribution

• Behaviour Management
• Disability Policy including Inclusion Awareness statement
• Equal Opportunities and Celebrating Diversity Policy
including Anti Discriminatory practice
• Working in Partnership with Parents
• Biting
• Bullying
• Complaints Procedure

Policies For – organisation

• Confidentiality
• My Fees
• Paperwork
• Admissions

Smoking – I do not smoke. I do not allow children in my care to be exposed to cigarette smoke. I do not allow visitors to smoke in my home

Angel xx

angeldelight
21-01-2008, 10:55 AM
This is the list of what I did in the old forum I will put it at the top for everyone to use

Angel xx

Little Cherubs
21-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Hello to everyone I'm new to childminding but not to childcare. I am in the process of doing the ICP and asked if I needed policies prior to starting and was told not really. I felt that it would be a good idea to put together some policies b4 I start as I do have the time to do it now. What are your thoughts on this??
KELLY:littleangel:

Sarsar3NCH
21-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks Angel, great list. I am in process of updating my policies so it is really useful.

Do you give all these to your parents or just make them available?

Sarah

littlestar
21-01-2008, 02:38 PM
wow i thought i had lots but there are loads i have missed can someone simplify the ones that i def need do i need to have all these? kelly if you have time on your hands i would do it im not reg yet but want to get them in order so its one less thing to think about.

Tily Bud
21-01-2008, 09:22 PM
I always intend to give them to parents but never get round to it also parents complain that they have no where to put them !

miffy
21-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Great list Angel thanks

Miffy xx

brit_chick
22-01-2008, 01:25 PM
hi everyone.do i need to show my financial records to ofsted when they come?

sarah707
22-01-2008, 06:22 PM
hi everyone.do i need to show my financial records to ofsted when they come?

No - they might ask to see you are financially organised but then you just wave your accounts book under their nose (I have a bit in my organisation folder with blank accounts pages)

Otherwise your finances are none of their business - it's nice to know something is still out of their remit :laughing:

sarah707
22-01-2008, 06:25 PM
wow i thought i had lots but there are loads i have missed can someone simplify the ones that i def need do i need to have all these? kelly if you have time on your hands i would do it im not reg yet but want to get them in order so its one less thing to think about.

Marlene - you have the ones you feel you need to have... just make sure you have - complaints (biggie!!!!), safeguarding children with number for local safeguarding children board (biggie 2), behaviour management incl positive behaviour techniques and get out if child is a nightmare, working with parents, lost child and uncollected child procedures... I think those are the main ones...

You could have a look at ncma site for their suggestions... It's a while since I've been on there :D

sarah707
22-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Hello to everyone I'm new to childminding but not to childcare. I am in the process of doing the ICP and asked if I needed policies prior to starting and was told not really. I felt that it would be a good idea to put together some policies b4 I start as I do have the time to do it now. What are your thoughts on this??

It will impress Ofsted if you have put some ideas together before your pre-reg... at least on the main ones... see previous post :D

JO S
31-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi, I'm a new childminder so my policies etc are still a bit of a work in progress so it's great to be able to get help and advice from this forum.
I know I'll be refering to it alot!

Jo

sarah707
31-01-2008, 06:14 PM
you're very welcome Jo! And welcome to the forum!

Don't forget to pop into say hello and introduce yourself! :D

lizzymoonshine
06-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi

I know this is probably a daft question and i am being thick, but how do you find out about the policies we should have, for example the terrorist attack one, just read your list angel and now i'm scared. :eek:

I have alot of them and have usually found them on the ncma website, but worried i'm not keeping up!
:(

Cheeky Chops
08-02-2008, 01:27 PM
anyone tell me what a closure policy is??! its on the list of policies you need but I have no idea what it is!!! thankyou x x

sarah707
08-02-2008, 01:32 PM
It's to say what you will do in case you have to close unexpectedly... due to eg. flood, no water, no heating in the deep midwinter, infectious disease (include your policy for the flu pandemic) etc...

Would you ring parents to collect? Who would you contact first? How would you make sure children were warm / dry / safe etc in case of closure?What about if you found out there was a problem at 730am... or your child was ill in the night... how would you alert parents and do you have somethiing in place to help them find another minder if they are on their way to work... things like that!

There's one on Bromley :D

Cheeky Chops
08-02-2008, 01:35 PM
oh thanks very much sarah!:thank you: it makes sense now I think about it, but i was wondering if you meant closure as in when you want closure for something!! hehe, silly me!! but I shall get writing one!! x x

deeb66
08-02-2008, 04:18 PM
oh thanks very much sarah!:thank you: it makes sense now I think about it, but i was wondering if you meant closure as in when you want closure for something!! hehe, silly me!! but I shall get writing one!! x x

That made me laugh CC :laughing:

It is not easy is it?

The policies we have to have nowadays is riddiculous!

Cheeky Chops
08-02-2008, 05:32 PM
hehe I know they are soooo many!! x

laura
11-02-2008, 08:02 PM
hi i am in the process of registering and have started doing my policies ,
can anyone tell me if each one has to be signed by each parent , a friend of mine said they did .
thanks ,

laura

deeb66
11-02-2008, 08:04 PM
can anyone tell me if each one has to be signed by each parent , a friend of mine said they did .
thanks ,

laura

No they don't have to be individually signed.

I have a cover sheet which lists all the policies on it and get the parent to sign that to say that they have received, read and understood all the policies

sarah707
11-02-2008, 08:10 PM
thanks ,

laura

I have a section in my permissions that says parents have read and understood all policies and procedures... so they don't have to sign each one...

Welcome to the forum Laura! Don't forget to introduce yourself in 'say hello'! :D

laura
11-02-2008, 08:39 PM
thankyou very much , you have saved me alot of re writting

im sick of policies lol

laura

deeb66
11-02-2008, 08:44 PM
thankyou very much , you have saved me alot of re writting

im sick of policies lol

laura

Trust me....so am I :laughing: :laughing:

elaineg
12-02-2008, 10:11 PM
I give my parents a copy of all the polices, together with a checklist, they sign the checklist to say that they have read the polices.

love Elaine XXX

DCS
17-02-2008, 03:02 PM

I would (well i have been) put all policieis in place asap. That. way you have one less thing to worry about. Wishing tou every sucess in your venture

marion
23-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Is it best to file your policies under the six headings or just keep them all together?.

sarah707
23-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Mine are filed under the 5 Every Child Matters headings... as those are what you are inspected on...

You can see them on my website :D

miffy
24-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Mine are filed under the five outcomes mainly for Ofsted's benefit

Miffy xx

Tatia
25-02-2008, 01:39 PM
I have a lot of those policies but had never considered keeping them under the 5 ECM outcomes. Great idea! I think we sometimes get bogged down in the Standards or the early learning goals (or heaven forbid, the statutory component of EYFS) and forget that ECM is what we are being inspected against and all the others are supporting the 5 outcomes.

I've bene re-writing and updating my web pages all morning. Now I'm off to re-arrange my policies. Brilliant!:thumbsup:

deeb66
25-02-2008, 02:14 PM
I also keep mine under the 5 ECM headings and everytime the inspector asked for a particular policy I knew exactly where to find it.

littlepixies
23-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Hello ladies,

i thought i would let you know of other policys ect that i have in place as well as this brill list which you have provided.....

Pet policy and animal contact policy
allergations of abuse
asthma policy
banged head policy
creche policy if on any training
dental hygine policy
handing over policy
healthy eating
overnight care
late payment
language policy
travel policy including out in other childminders car, taxis, trams, busses and trains.

Ya know you could have a policy on literly everything lol
hope this is useful

Louisa

Alibali
23-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Hey Angel,

I love the way you set them out in their themes, that would make finding what you're looking for much easier. Very clever!

Ali :)

maz 123
29-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Hi i'm new here,
i have been childminding for 20 years iam am due for my ofsted inspection and dreading it i had my last one 3 years ago. it has all changed so much.

crazybones
29-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi Maz and welcome. Dont forget to pop into the Say Hello section and introduce yourself to everyone. You will get loads of help and advice about an upcoming inspection. I certainly did. :D

maz 123
29-03-2008, 07:07 PM
ah yes sorry lol. i couldn't find it :)

Rubybubbles
14-04-2008, 06:25 PM
angel!! You said on this you would pin it too the top:D

I've been looking for it and only found it hehe

angeldelight
14-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Sorry Emma

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
14-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Sorry Emma

Angel xx

hehe xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Schnakes
16-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi Angel, thanks for the list. Luckily Ive got most of these in place already, although not quite so well laid out! Im just wondering what your drug & alcohol policy is. If you dont mind me asking?!

Sx

sarah707
16-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Drugs - I will not take any illegal substances... if I am prescribed any medication and I think it might impair my ability to work I will take advice from Ofsted.

Alcohol - I will not drink alcohol during working hours. I am committed to ensuring I am not under the influence of alcohol during working hours.

prettypink0206
16-04-2008, 09:04 PM
hi all was just wondering, im in the process of becoming reg, do i have to have my policies and procedures all ready written up, as i havnt started or do i make a start?
i am due to send out the ofsted forms in the nxt couple of weeks.
anniex:panic:

angeldelight
16-04-2008, 09:18 PM
I would most def make a start Annie

Look at the Bromley website for some great ideas

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/policies/policies_and_procedures.html

Angel xx