PDA

View Full Version : How do I do this?

Rasharoon
10-11-2008, 11:10 AM
I've sisters starting on 1st December (age 1 and 3). Will be with me from 8.00am - 1.00pm on a Monday & Tuesday (the 3 year old goes to playgroup on a Monday which I drop off and collect). I've got got a 3 year old boy starting in January who is literally before and after school.
A few questions:
1. With the b4 and after school boy, he will only ever be with me an hour in the morning and hour after school. How do I do the EYFS as when we get home, I'll be in the kitchen doing tea (parents are aware of this).
2. At what age do you start children with Themes?
3. As I'm going to preschools, do I need the parents to sign a form allowing us to share information? If so, what should the form say?
Although I've been childminding a little over a year, this age group is all new to me so I'm really unsure how to implement the EYFS.
Any ideas? Thank you. x

mrsb
10-11-2008, 01:07 PM
I've sisters starting on 1st December (age 1 and 3). Will be with me from 8.00am - 1.00pm on a Monday & Tuesday (the 3 year old goes to playgroup on a Monday which I drop off and collect). I've got got a 3 year old boy starting in January who is literally before and after school.
A few questions:
1. With the b4 and after school boy, he will only ever be with me an hour in the morning and hour after school. How do I do the EYFS as when we get home, I'll be in the kitchen doing tea (parents are aware of this). What do the children do while you are cooking? maybe you can sit them at the table near you with playdough etc, watch how they get on and see what they can move on to from there, they may like to make biscuits etc :) No matter what amount of time you have them, you need to do eyfs with them :) Same for the morning, use that hour to have simple activities out for them.
2. At what age do you start children with Themes? As soon as they show an interest in something, You can theme at any age though with things liek christmas etc ;)
3. As I'm going to preschools, do I need the parents to sign a form allowing us to share information? If so, what should the form say? Yes you do, there is definately a letter on the bromley site for this as I adapted mine from it :)
Although I've been childminding a little over a year, this age group is all new to me so I'm really unsure how to implement the EYFS.
Any ideas? Thank you. x
Hope that helps :)

merry
10-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I have a little boy aged 5 in reception class only once a week for 2 hours after school and that's it. I put out things he's interested in and watch how he plays with them, chat and play word and number games on the way home from school. I notice how he gets on with the other children. Each time he's here I pick out 2 or 3 things I've noticed and write them up in a diary, linking to the EYFS, might just be something like 'J noticed a hedgehog on the way home from school and knew it wasn't supposed to be out during the day, asked questions about it', which links to knowledge and understanding of the world, exploration and investigation. Then I'll plan to put out hedgehog toys, or card cutouts of hedgehogs and stuff they can use to build them a den for hibernation - of course there's every chance he's totally forgotten it a week later and may not be interested anymore, but it shows you're taking your cues for planning from the interests of the child. I don't do themes as such, I'll follow the children's interests and we do obvious things related to time of the year, celebrations and weather, but I don't think like, right, this month we'll learn about frogs, next month it'll be transport.
Does he have a snack with you? He could help make it, fruit kebabs or something, buttering toast, pouring his drink, all activities which relate to EYFS
I prepare as much of the meal as possible ahead of collecting children from school so I'm not in the kitchen all the time, make double of something now and then and freeze half so I don't have to cook from scratch every night and free up that time to spend with the children.
I have a permission to share information form, initially from Bromley site too.

:)