PDA

View Full Version : Do you stop work for christmas???

emmadines
09-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I was thinking of stopping on the 19th Dec then start back at on the 29th (I only work week days), then have the 31st and the 1st off

do you think that sounds ok??

What do you do?

squiggle
09-11-2008, 10:36 PM
its your business so your choice :)

aslong as you give the correct notice to parents you will be fine.

personally i'm just having christmas day, boxing day and new years day off as my partner works so i save my holidays for when we are together. i think i may end up with another couple of days off as one of my parents isn't working

xx

mrsb
09-11-2008, 10:38 PM
I stop work on 17th December and start again on the 5th Jan:D

Nettynoo
09-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Lucky u, Mrsb!!! Wish I could take that time off!! Already been asked by one parent if I will work Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day!!! Its also her sons birthday on 30th Dec!!!! Don't have heart to tell her if I work those days I charge double and don't want to say no as she needs extra money!!!! Oooh, I can feel a headache coming on!!!!!
U take the holiday you deserve and spend it with your family, not everybody elses!!!!! I shall take my own advice too!!!:laughing:

mrsb
09-11-2008, 10:57 PM
I do generally only work term time though so I'm lucky I guess :)

Angela234
09-11-2008, 11:03 PM
I will most likely be working except xmas and boxing days and new year

Angela

beerheaven
09-11-2008, 11:05 PM
I don't work between Xmas and New Year. This fits in with the parents as they all have time off too.
I am contemplating finishing earlier this year to give myself and my family a really good break. As said earlier, it's your business - do what suits you and your family!!

Twinkles
09-11-2008, 11:12 PM
I finish on Dec 23rd and start again on 5th Jan. Most people have the time off anyway and I need a nice long break :thumbsup:

sarahjane
09-11-2008, 11:23 PM
I finish work on the 19th and don't start back until the 6th Jan :laughing: all mine are term time only so i'm very lucky

hello kitty
09-11-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm finishing on the 19th for 2 weeks. Always have 2 weeks off at Christmas since mine were small, didn't think it was fair on them having to share me and the new toys with others at this time, they do well all year round with others in the house so this is our extra special "family" time.

All my parents know and are given 2 months notice. Has never caused a problem yet. :D

cher25
09-11-2008, 11:33 PM
I work holidays aswell as term time usually. However i finish work xmas eve and not working again (up till now anyway) till the 5th Jan. :)
All my parents are off work anyway during xmas and 1 has put a hol in for the 2nd Jan. Im probably daft, but im not charging anyone over the xmas either as im more than happy not to work it. If asked to work and i have nothing planned then i prob would though.

emmadines
09-11-2008, 11:38 PM
I only charge if the setting is open so they wouldnt have to pay either, I only charge a retainer if Im able to have them but am not required.

Gherkin
10-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Last workign day is the 23rd dec and am back working on the 2nd december. Worked in retail and through christams for years. Once I became self employed there was no way that I would let myself work during chirstmas.

emmadines
10-11-2008, 07:13 AM
I was thinking of stopping nearer christmas but 19ths a friday and theres the weekend which I dont work anyway, and then its only one.two days till crimble anyway.

I supposes it wouldnt hurt to take time off till 2nd jan (can have a lil drink lol)

childmind04
10-11-2008, 07:15 AM
I am saving my holidays so will be working most of it, 1 of my children is on flexi and mum is getting told i am not starting at 7am :panic:

balloon
10-11-2008, 07:27 AM
This will be my first Christmas so haven't really give too much thought to what I would work yet, hadn't quite relaised how close to it we were!

I think I'm going to have Christmas eve, Christmas day and Boxing day off and save my hols for when we can actually go away somewhere.

miss mopple
10-11-2008, 07:29 AM
I always take the week between Christmas and New Year off. Up until this year I have been working Christmas Eve but I've decided not to anymore :D

Helpinghands
10-11-2008, 07:33 AM
This will be my first Christmas so haven't really give too much thought to what I would work yet, hadn't quite relaised how close to it we were!

I think I'm going to have Christmas eve, Christmas day and Boxing day off and save my hols for when we can actually go away somewhere.

Me too!

Does anyone charge extra for Christams Eve and New Years Eve?

emmadines
10-11-2008, 07:37 AM
decisions, decisions eh lol

emmadines
10-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Me too!

Does anyone charge extra for Christams Eve and New Years Eve?

oooo thats a good question!!!!!! :D

PixiePetal
10-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Mine are term time only. Finish with the schools and back when they return.
8 an 9 yr old siblings who I used to mind full time when they were young sometimes come for a day or two in school hols, no contract - just if I can and want to (or need the money!) Not usually between Christmas and New Year - my two like the family time - so do I :D

zoex
10-11-2008, 09:46 AM
i wish it was easy for me to give my parent notice for anything! im going on maternity leave but she wants me working until the 22nd of dec. even tho im due a week and a half after. :( still im counting down the days to having some time off. :)

mandy moo
10-11-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm finishing Xmas Eve and going back on the 5th, :clapping:

Simply becoz, DH only takes a few days off at easter,
4 days during august bank holiday,
and a few days at Xmas.
I threaten him with divorce or something otherwise, he knows which side his bread is buttered:laughing:
but in all, We prob'ley have less than a fortnight as a family together all
year:(

Me and my two need time together also, they are always having to share me with the mindees..

As for charging for Xmas Eve etc, I'M just hoping the parents will get out of work early and come get their children early:laughing:

Andrea08
10-11-2008, 11:35 AM
me toooo!!!!!

i close on Friday 19th and only me n my children till school opens 5th Jan,

i can't wait and for once im looking forward to christmas, use to be a bad time for me but time is a gr8 healer and my children come first so im feeling good about it now.:laughing:

devoncm
10-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Ive given notice that i wont work xmas eve day and boxing day or yew yr eve and day, the rest i will do if needed- marc works shifts in 4 day pattern so if he is at work then i might as well work

FizzysFriends
10-11-2008, 12:15 PM
i wish it was easy for me to give my parent notice for anything! im going on maternity leave but she wants me working until the 22nd of dec. even tho im due a week and a half after. :( still im counting down the days to having some time off. :)

It should be about what you and your family want not what 'she' wants!!

merry
10-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I finish on 19th and start back on 5th Jan. In 10 years I've only worked Christmas Eve once as a favour to a parent who had to work and promised she'd get out of work early - well she did, but instead of picking up her child, she went shopping and for a meal and her child was here for 2 hours past finish time. Since then I put my family first, no matter how desperate the parents seem.

:)

Heaven Scent
10-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I never intended closing but this year I'm going away to spend christmas with DH so its different in the past when I minded I never closed and last year I was open but only my Fri and Sat evening boy came to me. This year I'm closing @ 4.00 on 19th and re-opening on 5th.

charleyfarley
10-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't actually close as if I did I wouldn't get paid so instead I leave it to the parents to book their hols that way I still get paid :D Sneaky I know.

Carol xx

katickles
10-11-2008, 01:41 PM
I won't be working as we go on holiday this year christmas eve & retuen new years eve :D

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/23/2335/233520.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

louise
10-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm working xmas eve. I dont mind as i only have one mindee plus he might leave early. Hubbie is off the day between boxing day and new year. He wanted me to book it of. I did tell him that it would be hard as mindees mum works in retail as a manager. I asked though and he is ggoing to aunites for those days. So i get time off.:clapping: im really looking forward to it. THis year is even better as i wont be working in a shop every saturday.

Loux

Mollymop
10-11-2008, 02:37 PM
I am having xmas off. I have worked from May with no time off. I think I will have xmas off every year. I am stopping on the fri 19th and re-starting in the January. 2 weeks, and I can't wait!!!

Rubybubbles
10-11-2008, 02:38 PM
I finish work on the 19th and don't start back until the 6th Jan :laughing: all mine are term time only so i'm very lucky

same yahhhoooo

manjay
10-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I have it written in my policies that I will never work between Christmas and new year. Perk of the job for me:clapping: It has been in my newsletter since August that I will finish on 23rd and start back on the 2nd Jan. The only time I have had off this year has been while off sick so I think I deserve it!!!

angeldelight
10-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't actually close as if I did I wouldn't get paid so instead I leave it to the parents to book their hols that way I still get paid :D Sneaky I know.

Carol xx

Sneaky but clever haha

Angel xx

crazybones
10-11-2008, 03:53 PM

Carol xx

I know someone else who does that :blush:

Chimps Childminding
10-11-2008, 05:16 PM
I always close when schools finish and re-open when they do!! I used to work up till Christmas eve and then between Christmas and New Year,
but it was only usually one parent who needed me so I just close now, no one seems to have a problem with that, I let them know early in the year (and the ones who have been with me for a while know that this happens).

Its so nice to have some time off, any other hols are usually spent going here there and everywhere so this is my time to chill (once Chrismas day is over obviously!!!) :clapping:

madasahatter
10-11-2008, 05:27 PM
I finish on the 23rd and then start again on the 5th of Jan. A nice long break, sort of, but we are going to be decorating most of our downstairs. Christmas is the only time we get where we don't go away so is an ideal time to do those big jobs. All the families I work for, apart from one, don't work between Xmas and New Year. Thankfully I don't have to feel guilty about the one who does work, as her sister (who I also childmind for) has the time off and they're quite happy about it.

Heaven Scent
10-11-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't actually close as if I did I wouldn't get paid so instead I leave it to the parents to book their hols that way I still get paid Sneaky I know.I

I would have done the same had I not been going away - but knowing my luck my stingy lot would even try dropping the poor kids off on Christmas day.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

LisaH
10-11-2008, 07:32 PM
I usually take a week at xmas but it's awkward this year with it falling in the middle of a week!! Am taking 24th, 25th, 26th but working 29th and 30th!!

My DH is more than likely working anyway so no point taking time off.:)

Tily Bud
10-11-2008, 07:41 PM
I finish on 19th dec and return on 5th jan. Parents aren't charged for this although i do charge for the bank holidays if the child would have otherwise attended x

tomthumb
10-11-2008, 08:01 PM
I am finishing on 18th and off to France on the 19th for 2 weeks!! I can't wait. I have never and hopefully will never work on christmas eve as it is when I celebrate xmas. My dd will be 7 on January 1st (new year day baby !)so won't want to work on her special day. I will be back at work on 5th January. Parents have known since they started with me and they have booked their holidays at the same time.

Elodie X

FizzysFriends
10-11-2008, 08:45 PM
I will work over christmas if the parents need/want me too, I need the money :(

Pudding Girl
10-11-2008, 09:30 PM
I am finishing on 23rd December and then reopen the Monday after (29th) for 3 days, then close again for a few days and then re-open 5th Jan which is Friday but in reality Mum will probably keep them at home anyway so a paid day off for me ;) another sneaky one!!

I don't charge for my time off over Xmas.

buildingblocks
14-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I normally close when the last child leaves on the 23rd and reopen on the 2nd Jan unless it is a bank holiday then it is the 3rd. This year though because of how the days fall I am open on the 29th and 30th of December closed new years eve and new years day and then open the 2nd.

i took a long time to make this decision as I don't get paid for my holidays or bank holidays so it would have been nearly two weeks with no money. I know most of my parents will be sending their children if I am open but hubby is at home so I can leave him in charge while I go and do paperwork.

I never open Christmas Eve as I had a parent take the mick like someone else mentioned so never again. One thing though I take five weeks holiday a year 2 full weeks and the rest as and when as odd days but it is written in my policies that the time off between Christmas and NEw Year is not from that allowance for hols (does that make sense)

kiddiwinks
14-11-2008, 07:24 PM

Carol xx

I do the same, i dont charge for xmas day boxing day or new years day though

Hannahlg
14-11-2008, 07:53 PM
We finsh the same day schools cflose which is the 19th this year
and we allways open again the on the 3rd of jan but becouse of how the days hve fallen this year wont be open again till 5th jan

if you ask me children should be at home at xmas

Michelle M
14-11-2008, 08:55 PM
I am breaking up on 19th December and am back on 5th jan :)

marion123
14-11-2008, 09:02 PM
i am also open i have xmas day and boxing day and new years day off but all my parents work right up to xmas eve i would love to have xmas of in all my yrs i never had may be next year i will book the holidays :laughing:

littletreasures
14-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't have the children during the school holidays so I will finish on 19th December and start again about 4th January!!

kellywestie
14-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi, yes I have 2 weeks off over Christmas. I don't charge and have it written in the contracts. I don't charge for these 2 weeks, as for me Christmas is about family and friends, and if I charged even half fees I would feel obliged to have the children if parents needed me to.

I'm closing at end of business on Friday 19th Dec and will re-open on Monday 5th January.

nell57
15-11-2008, 07:57 AM
I finish on the 23rd then start again on the 2nd Jan. I dont get paid for holidays, but dh & ds will be on hols as well, so its the only time of the year anything to do with mindees will be packed away out of sight, making our house our own for short while;) .

Helen

louised
15-11-2008, 09:41 AM
I am also having 2 weeks off but not actually closing. As I am able to have the children parents will be paying holiday fees (half fees) as the parents have booked the holidays not me. I decided I would work if needed as I have already had 4 weeks off this year and it is written in my contracts that I will only take 4 weeks off a year. So I'm actually getting an extra 2 weeks paid holiday because parents are off work.