PDA

View Full Version : Planning Department Problems

Pipsqueak
09-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Has anyone else ever had problems with their local planning department?

I have a newly reg'g minder starting up - she has just started advertising and someone (in her village, possibly a close neighbour) has made a complaint to the planning department.

The PD have come out and told her she can only have 2 children - 4 in total (including her own) but they would "turn a blind eye" if she was to have up to 4, as this is their (the planning department) regulation. They have stated noise pollution from children, the home isn't suitable (Ofsted seem to think differently and have ok'd her and her assistant to have 10 children) and that there will be potential problems with people coming and going. They have basically told her that she is to stop advertising and if there is another complaint made about her at all (she doesn't actually have any children on roll yet) then they will close her down totally.

Apparently the parish council weren't too happy with her setting up but when she enquired they knew nothing about it. (This is coming from the planning lady).

Ofsted havn't been overly helpful just saying that she is within the law if she stays within her ratios. I have advised her to speak to NCMA and our CDO is trying to speak with planning on her behalf.

So, can the PD get involved like this? Any tips or advice from anyone?? Poor woman is going spare as they have ploughed so much into this to get it of the ground.

tulip0803
09-11-2008, 08:39 PM
I had to delay registering in Wales as the local planning department would only allow 6 people coming in & out your house - as a family of 5 that meant I could mind 1 child - not financially viable. I could of course have paid the council money for planning permission to change my house from residential to commercial and then paid business rates and extra for rubbish collections etc:( .

My ex-colleague was a childminder in London and she was told even though her DH worked in London all week he would still count on the numbers! Which was why we both ended up working in a Family Centre. The NCMA and the CSSIW spent several years negotiating with the local planning department and it was overturned last year (hence the re-registering). BUT the local planning department has specified that I can only have 6 minded children total - so no extra over 8s (not too bothered just happy to be registered again)

sarah707
09-11-2008, 09:12 PM
When I started working with Nige I was told if we went over our current ratios we would have to apply for planning permission.

I rang the council and they said it would cost money to apply and they would write to all my neighbours to see if there were any complaints.

They were very officious about business rates and paying for bin collections as well.

I decided not to pursue it and stayed with 6 maximum on my certificate.

I do not want my neighbours knowing my business :(

Pipsqueak
09-11-2008, 09:29 PM
The thing is, Offy have granted her permission for up to 10 children so can the PD dictate otherwise? Ofsted are saying that so long as she says within that ratio then they are fine.

I think all this smacks of small village snobby neighbours tbh but there isn't much I can do to help in this department sadly and its by the by really.

son77
09-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I was told when I registered last year that you have to stay within the council guidelines for the number of children you can care for.

Therefore this is not necessarily the number that Ofsted register you for.

In Stafford this was 3 children which included your own, any more & you had to apply for planning permission. I was registered with Ofsted for 4 children.

When I rang my local council & explained I had 2 children of my own & therefore would only be able to mind 1 other child I was given verbal permission to care for 3 children plus my own 2.

So therefore I can never care for as many as Ofsted will allow.

Answer to your questions is, as far as I'm aware then yes, the PD can dictate how many your friend can mind.

roseybev
10-11-2008, 01:33 AM
i am so glad up here in scotland we dont have to get plaining per i am reg for 6 kids ,3 under 5, and 3 over 5 all at the same time .

tulip0803
10-11-2008, 01:37 AM
The thing is, Offy have granted her permission for up to 10 children so can the PD dictate otherwise? Ofsted are saying that so long as she says within that ratio then they are fine.

I think all this smacks of small village snobby neighbours tbh but there isn't much I can do to help in this department sadly and its by the by really.

I had to send a form to the local planning department before my application went in and then CSSIW went along with what the council said.

Pipsqueak
10-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Oh Lordy, this lady is going to be so gutted, they have ploughed everything they have into this - converted the garage into a dedicated play room (its massive and gorgeous).

Its sounds to me, in my opinion that there is a rather petty neighbour who is rather good friends with this person in the planning department and its followed on from there.

Thanks guys for your replies.

sarah707
10-11-2008, 07:49 AM
The thing is, Offy have granted her permission for up to 10 children so can the PD dictate otherwise?

Yes they can.

I have a neighbour on the council and petty doesn't come into it :(

FizzysFriends
10-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Can she appeal and try to compromise with the planning dept?

ruby
10-11-2008, 08:46 AM
we are registered for 7 - 6 under 5 and 1 5-8

but when she came to do our inspection 2 yrs ago she said we were lucky if we now wanted 7 we would have to apply for planning premission and this would cost about £300.00 pounds

cathy

buildingblocks
14-11-2008, 06:40 PM
we would have to apply for planning premission and this would cost about £300.00 pounds
cathy

I think here it is over £400

Chimps Childminding
14-11-2008, 06:44 PM
I didn't know you had to apply for planning permission!!:panic:

kiddiwinks
14-11-2008, 07:05 PM
i did not either, i am registered for 5 under 8 and have 3 over 8 at one time i also somtimes have a friend over with her child under 5 couple times week. My house can be very noisy.how do i know if planning would be needed.

Jules27
15-11-2008, 06:40 PM
OMG!! had no idea about planning permission!!! I've not applied and not had any complaints yet either... am surrounded by mostly families though tbh so probably why!:laughing:

tulip0803
15-11-2008, 06:47 PM
If you have been registered before planning rules change you are fine. My friends who were registered before the council changed it's rules were fine to operate with whatever CSSIW had advised. It was only applications after a certain date that got this planning rule applied (now overturned & CSSIW are ver very busy:rolleyes: )

If you are not told that you need to see if you need planning you should be fine. As I said I could not send my application in until I had a reply from the local council as CSSIW knew they were funny.

If I want an assistant or to work with another minder at my address I would have to make a request to the council again as this is specified in their letter.

Pipsqueak
15-11-2008, 07:03 PM
From what NCMA and my CDO are saying we do NOT have to apply for planning permission (in england at least) so don't panic.

In this instance the NCMA are now getting involved and are taking our local planning department to task (not to mention threatening them with 140 childminders bombarding them! lol)