PDA

View Full Version : Giving a parent the boot

venus89
09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I'd love to put it in a kinder way than that but that is essentially what I'm looking at doing. I had 2 mums who were job share. Mum 1 had every other Monday and every thursday and friday term time. Mum 2 took the alternate Mondays . Then Mum 1 pulled out (she was the one who didn't want me looking after more than one child at a time!) so now I have just Mum 2 for the alternate Mondays, term time. I havd two other under fives every Monday so effectively I am full up on Mondays and can't take any more under fives. In reality I have the child of Mum 2 3 times per half term and she does chuck in the occasional Tuesday as well - about up to 3 per half term.
The problem lies that I have now turned away three prospective parents because I can't offer them a Monday. Last week I turned down a full time job.

I plan to contact Mum 2 next week (not her week) and say we're due a contract review and could she give me 5 or 10 mins when she picks up the week after. I feel really bad but I've got to make my business make financial sense and keeping her on doesn't. So I plan to explain the circumstances to her - and the fact that I intend to put my fees up soon - and see if there's any way she can get her inlaws - who curently look after baby the other 2 days she works (wednesday and tuesday) to have him on monday instead. Otherwise I really can't see me keeping her, unless I insist she pays for every monday. And even then I'm risking losing out on other contracts....

HAs anybody been in a situation like this? If so, do you have any advice on how to make it more pleasant? I feel really bad about having to face this with her - epecially as she's my longest standing parent now - but I can't keep turning people away for her.

Monkey1
09-11-2008, 04:52 PM
At the end of the day babe you have to do what is best for you and your family!

Twinkles
09-11-2008, 04:55 PM
You really can't keep turning away business like that. I would just say if it were the other way round and she found cheaper or free care would she be beating herself up about it or would she give you notice ?

venus89
09-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Both good points well made - thank you. I just worry that I'll get rid of her then get no more enquiries..... I also worry about the effect upon my word of mouth being.